1987 RX-7 FC project

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by JJRX7, May 1, 2016.

1. JJRX7

JJRX7 New Member

Hey guys!

First post here, I'm Jonathan from Newcastle. After years of messing around with daily drivers I finally had the opportunity to own a project car. So I am building my dream drift car, for street use on weekends and occasional drift days.

And here she is: a very sad looking RX-7! She was a 1987 Turbo 2, but in 2008 she had a reconditioned NA engine fitted instead. Despite the look, she is VERY solid, and will only need welding on one sill and one arch lip.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I am stripping the car back to a bare shell, doing repairs and then rebuilding her as my dream car with either reconditioned or new parts all around. I plan to do an engine swap - so the reconditioned engine is for sale, as well as the turbo parts from the original engine. I also want to sell the welded diff she is fitted with, or swap for a turbo 2 LSD.

Thanks! Jonathan

2. JJRX7

JJRX7 New Member

Some progress:

Removed what was left of the interior, the dash, wiring loom, petrol tank, exhaust, driveshaft, brakes all around and started stripping the engine ready to pull it out. Also removed the sunroof mechanism in preparation for welding the steel panel in permanently.

No more rust or holes found! This is a solid car for its age :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. spizwaltdefens

looking good man, i got an fc turbo 2 as, plan on taking it off the road in November on when i get a daily to rebuild it better than it is, i got shit load of spare parts if you maybe be interested or have any problems feel free to give me a message :)

4. JJRX7

JJRX7 New Member

Thanks mate! :) I know I'm missing a few parts so I might give you a shout once I have a list prepared.

Tonight I removed the rear lights, front and rear bumpers, wings, and unbolted the engine and gearbox ready to pull out.

[​IMG]

5. JJRX7

JJRX7 New Member

One 5 and a half hour round trip today left me with all of this:

[​IMG]

Turbo 2 LSD diff (sadly missing one output shaft, can anyone help?), turbo 2 propshaft, headlight motors, complete rear end, and lots of trim pieces I was missing.

Will update once the engine is out and the subframes come off!

#5 JJRX7, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  6. JJRX7

JJRX7 New Member

Update! Engine out, doors, sunroof, tailgate, glass, fuel and brake lines out. Next to put the shell on the dolly and remove the subframes!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. driftyste

driftyste Member

8. JJRX7

JJRX7 New Member

This thread needed shiny bits. Just received the parts to make up some adjustable rear toe links, and an adjustable rear camber bar / subframe brace. Saved a fortune making these myself rather than buying off the shelf from America. (Forgot the L/H threaded half nuts though!)

[​IMG]

I've ordered some Derlin subframe, diff and DTSS eliminator bushings from the states. Should be dropping subframes this week ready for welding and underbody paint!

9. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Good work, nice to see people fabricate stuff instead of buying off the shelf items.

10. JJRX7

JJRX7 New Member

Update!

Replaced a section of chassis leg as someone had previously bodged the ARB mount and the rot had set in:

[​IMG]

And now the cage! Not sure if I will cage the front now, as it will be used on the street too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Getting exciting now!

11. Turbo Lee

Turbo Lee Member

Looking good mate, keep it up!

12. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

Nice welding on that footplate :thumbs:

13. JJRX7

JJRX7 New Member

Long overdue update:

Moved into our first home, so the first job was renovate and rewire the garage ready for the car! (the other half didn't appreciate this as we didn't have a usable living room for a further 2 months haha)

[​IMG]

Lots of time removing old paint from the interior - had been badly done with rattle can / brush so everything is being wire wheeled back to bare metal and etch primed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also I got the toe adjusters on the rear subframe locked in place, and strengthened the diff mount with thick plate as these seem to break easily.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Currently stripping the underside of the car ready for primer, seam sealer and undercoating. Messy job.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Also bought a nice little mig for some of the remaining bodywork.

[​IMG]

Will update soon, cheers!

14. kieran.js

kieran.js Member

Subscribed!

15. JJRX7

JJRX7 New Member

Some more shiny bits to look at:

Delrin subframe bushes, diff bushes and DTSS (rear steering) eliminators from level zero motorsports in the US. Whiteline rear camber correction bushes (you get too much negative camber when you slam these cars), and my homebrew toe control arms / camber link. Also some poly bump stops from a classic mini - going to use as a pinion snubber for the rear diff.

[​IMG]

Also a massive thanks to Stuart Lawson (Top bloke, has the sick yellow FC) who is modding my knuckles for me. Went for more lock but not going crazy as I want to keep the stock wings, so I don't want to extend the track width. These look great, can't wait to get them back!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers!

16. JJRX7

JJRX7 New Member

Slow progress - been working long hours for months now.

More grinding and priming, the neighbours love me

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some motivation, had all my suspension parts powdercoated, and had a delivery of wheel bearings etc from Mazda

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope to update with more progress, want to get the underside done so I can bolt the subframes back on!