MX5 in for some modifications

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Marg, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Marg

Marg Member

MX5 in for turbo ect

Hi.
    In at the moment I have a mx5 in for some modifications, plan was to turbo charge the engine in the easiest way but one thing leads to another and more things get brought. So now there's a few other parts for me to work on such as a body kit to fit - possibly have to tub, Bump bars, exhast system from turbo back, front mount Intercooler, oil cooler and p/s cooler. Also a new clutch and hokey puck engine mounts ,the owner has also been helping out and has fitted new coil overs all round along with drift works upper rear arms,bucket seats and harnesses.
    We also have a few other bits on this list. Not to everyone's taste some not even mine. But owner likes. Here's some pics.

71914527-1D7B-4341-B5DC-AB6BF826A747_zpsqeva17ib.

AD483680-B528-4C6C-8B3A-69D44F04C51F_zpsqnddjvdi.

30141F28-1A72-4CC6-B286-525DAF868AC7_zpswxeiobk3.

2D536341-C913-4FAE-9F57-560CAAFA8425_zpsq6sak8gz.

One of the slightly tricky bits was the down pipe, simple looking back but my first every down pipe.

549073A2-EC30-4F1E-8F11-49B04EE4DD0D_zpsazt55815.

369564C0-AE84-4E47-8E95-B54AC3570200_zps0ga5wuls.

3E9D53A5-8BA8-4F17-AC7E-A8B0E336929E_zps12hfkgos.

CECE7D53-AD54-4FFD-93DB-08E91F757244_zpsqind11xw.

May have to re do this actuator mount as there is still some flex. If first you don't succeed ..
    FE243D53-928B-4F69-828A-65C6940B183E_zps3ze6aziy.

More to come.

#1 Marg, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2017
  2. Marg

Marg Member

Here's some more

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Progress was then put to a stop as I was out driving the dragster a few weekends and when returned we had a new guest
    A pair of robins had nested under the head lamp and laid eggs.
    We were then watching 5 baby robin chicks and trying not to disturb them, luckily my friends car was in and we was bending up the roll cage for it so we was occupied still.
    They have now all fled the nest and work has been resumed. Noisey little chirpers
    [​IMG]

Thanks marg

3. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

How sweet, didn't realise you were on here mate! Missed you at Main Event. I may have some use of your skills when I start the turbo conversion on my new MK3 MX5. :)

4. Marg

Marg Member

Only spectating at the main event Ian :( but great weekend!
    Hopfully be back out soon.
    If I can help I will try!

5. Marg

Marg Member

Been away on holiday, but back now so got on with some tube work to protect under elements.
    Basically the rads sit quite low, to get the boost pipes sitting nice we have lowered it a small amount and making it a little liable to getting a wack. So I've made some skid tubes, there will be an ally duct made to push air through the rad, as had a lot of experience on other cars with air finding easier ways out and not efficiently cooling. So do best with what I can.
    I have welded tabs to the tubes that will make it a bolt on feature. I have welded m8 and m10 threads in to the subframe to hold it.
    There will be a few more light bits to sturdy it up a bit that that's another bit ticked off.

Here's some pics of some tube work. Probly get the tube work haters in the other tread here but this is functional. Not because it's trying to be cool.

Still getting my head around this tube bending!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks

6. E36Sleepwer

E36Sleepwer New Member

I'm inspired by that bash bar, good stuff

7. Marg

Marg Member

Cheers. It may be a bit over the top but I can stand looking at things thinking that could go wrong quickly if sonthing hit the rad ect.
    I'm still getting the hand of tube bending. There is a reason roll cages are expensive. Especially when tig welded.
    I'm using mig on this as tig torch broke on another car the other day.
    Pics to come

8. Marg

Marg Member

Tomorrow I am back to my day job so had a day tinkering before I have to get back to work.
    Still some tweaking to do. Undertray will be attatched to the tubes
    Should help guide the air in the right places.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Marg

Marg Member

New tig torch arrived today so hopfully that will sort out the tig for the rest of the stainless welding.
    Owner has a list of bits to get so we can move on a bit more.
    Body kit going on, side skirts are pretty poor so require some tweaking!

10. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Liking all this. :)

11. Marg

Marg Member

Cheers, been doing a bit of painting on the bash bars, that's nearly all done. Then it's in with fully welding all brakets ect I have added. Diff can get fitted soon also engine and box
    More picks soon

12. Marg

Marg Member

Tubes primed and blacked up, ally drilled and riveted to them, shame to loose the ally look with stone chip but hay ho, it won't stay that bling with weather.
    [​IMG]

13. Marg

Marg Member

So started on the bonnet latches, an ok job however messed up a bit. Some times you gotta admit the annoying mess ups, the latches looked in a good position and a quick look I thought they will clear everything, wrong, had to move the Intercooler across and will have to tweak the intake pipe, will be running the latch aswell as a bit more of a security thing. This has also had some trimming to fit better.
    Also have started cutting the bumper about to get the gaps a bit better, it was expected a shoddy fit.
    Also started on the Driftworks bonnet vent!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Marg

Marg Member

As the car will be having arches when the skirts are up against the body it just didn't look right, and they worked better out level with the arches.
    As we are using bolt on arches and using the same method for the skirts I've made a plinth for the skirts to bolt to,
    I've worked with fiber glass before and know it ain't never quite the same side to side or fit very well, we're getting there but with a combination of a previous lower arch area repair and fibre glass the 2 side spacers are actually different, good job I made them 1 at a time really ha!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sure you get the idea :)

15. Marg

Marg Member

Talking of fiber glass fitment, just trying to close up a few gaps and repair some blown holes in the fiber glass

[​IMG]

16. Marg

Marg Member

So ploughing on with body work rear arches raised and edged to meet new fiber glass arches. Hard to get them the same when fiber glass is doing its thing some time it's best to do things by eye.
    Well at least now the wheels won't be hitting metal arches
    I'm not a fan of the cut and fold up method so trim back and plate off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Marg

Marg Member

[​IMG]

Fibre Glass is long

18. EtherealDesign

EtherealDesign New Member

Awesome quality of work man! Just a quick question, where are you mounting the bash bar to under the car? I can make out a little bit from the pictures but not fully clear as my phones taking its own sweet time to fully load the pics -.- cheers bud!
    -Jordon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Marg

Marg Member

cheers, it's not perfect but trying to get it to look ok Amd function,some bits may not work but will have to wait and see.
    The bars have 'chassis tabs' welded on that we use in the hot rod world, then there are 2 x M8 and 2 X M10 rivnuts welded in to the subframe Bars are slightly bent upwards to get inside the bumper looking back a bit more of a tweak would have worked better. It's out of CDS tube
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

20. EtherealDesign

EtherealDesign New Member

Ohhh right right I get ya, that's actually a lot more straight forward and simple than a lot of other mx5 bash bar designs I've seen! Love that it doubles as a seemingly functional means of directing airflow and a bash plate of kinds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk