Dukes of Hafod Drifters Project Toyota AEV86

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Gwionsavill, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

camper 273.JPG
    Thought I'd share this on here and get a few peoples ideas and opinions.

It all started when I thought I'd like to give this drifting game a go and bought a cheap E46 BMW 325I after a few drift days in Pembray and three sisters its safe to say I,m now hooked and a plan was made to have a go at some competition drifting so a new car was needed.

I had a look at a few S14 and a Nissan 350z but then as soon as I saw this Toyota AE86 I knew I had to have it.

9ilXJv.
    eHUBOt.

The spec on paper sounded good and maybe naively I thought I could buy this and go compete.
    It has a 4.0 V8 1UZfe engine with a turbo in it putting out 446BHP which should be more than enough with only 950KGS to haul around.

WTTZja.
    It had a few other bits like the wheels, coil overs and a decent fuel system, cage, bucket seat and hydro but when I bought it back to my garage in mid wales (Moduron Hafod Garage) and took it down a local test route I soon realised that a lot of work was needed to for me to feel happy and safe to compete in the car and this is when I knew I was going to wave bye bye to all my time and money!!!

l4wT7M.

After one day with my mechanics it looked a bit different.
    k8v8HK.
    Znhwk7.

x20WvQ.

V9JWC7.

aNdJ84.

bs6KIj.
    seiwOq.

So after the boys tore it apart it was obvious the shell was in good condition rust wise but it definitely needed a lot of work to make it strong enough to cope with the power and a lot of tidying up from previous attempts at welding!!!!

I wasn't happy with the cage so got the boys to add an extra 8M of tubing and strip the shell to bare metal underneath and inside to seam weld everywhere we could. We had to repair a few dodgy patches and make seat rails and also the tunnel was re made with thicker steel ready for the new gear box.

It was running a W58 gearbox but I decided to get rid of this and I'm going to replace it with a BMW E46 M3 6 speed gearbox, twin plate clutch and a very light single mass flywheel. This should make it super reliable and strong enough for any future mods to the engine. We are gong to make a prop shaft for the car out of a Mazda RX8 one as these are carbon fibre so nice and light and strong.

L4L27h.

yJkGd6.

EyzMSE.

The underside where we had seam welded were covered with seam sealer then primed with Zinc primer and then 2 coats of Raptor bed liner was applied, this stuff is seriously strong and should make the underside last or a long time.
    The arches were seam welded and also the engine bay.

Danny one of my mechanics coming into my office to tell me how much he has enjoyed cleaning the underside!!!

cIP2bz.
    rUgWJ1.
    8nutRh.
    q87a0h.

The car is now down with our paint guy who is doing the finishing touches to the inside and engine bay and I cant wait to get it back as I have seen a few pictures and looks amazing fair play.

The parts pile in the garage is getting rather large now for when its back but watch this space as we have some big plans for it.

#1 Gwionsavill, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  2. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

3. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

[​IMG]

Avo rear coilovers from MCNSport which mean the spring and shock are one unit rather than separate.

[​IMG]

Gone for a new fibre glass dash again from MCNSport, this will be flocked before it goes in and a very nice piece of kit from link to keep an eye on the engine as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The front brakes were terrible on the car!!!! Gone for a 300mm willwood kit, not the best but as its for drifting will be more than adequate I think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got some nice motor drive seats as well going in.
    [​IMG]

Just waiting for the HSD front coil over kit to arrive and also the heated front screen which means we wont have to run a heater which keeps things simpler and tidier I think.

More updates soon as parts arrive and when the car is back with us.

4. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Fair play this will be epic when its done, cant wait to see the updates.

5. richie2912

richie2912 New Member

Banging! Get it to the next weekender!

6. jcoupe

jcoupe Member

my old car , this is exacly what this needed was some love, that is the most reliable v8 engine ever, good to see it being looked after now

7. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

error

#7 Gwionsavill, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  8. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

Driftworks HSD CS2 coil overs have arrived today, only using fronts as have gone for the all in one AVO on the rear. So the rear HSD are for sale in the for sale section as well if anyone wants them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Super pro bushes here for the modified Nissan S14 rack I'm running as well.
    [​IMG]

9. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

As you're going for the DMac Avos (I have the same) might be worthwhile looking at the gusset plates from Kajoba Works in Finland, he makes them for RHD cars too and has quite a few in F Cup Rally cars :)

Just ties the rear struts down and the front chassis legs to the bulkhead.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

This looks awesome man, my 1uz 86 was rapid and that was a stock motor, this thing must fly! Only point to note is I've heard a few horror stories about coilover rears punching holes in the rear arches, a bit of re-enforcement would solve that though.

11. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Aha so you're the guy who bought it! You don't fuck about do you ;-)

Cage looks great and so does the underneath. What flywheel/clutch you going for??

12. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

Well, I thought the car deserves to be done right and this will be the only time I do a build like this so I might as well do it right and exactly how I want it.

I've gone for a TTV twin plate clutch and flywheel and going to run a BMW E46 M3 6 speed gearbox with a IRP shifter, this set up was a lot of money but should be super reliable and take a lot of abuse.

13. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Been talking to TTV about their stuff, very high quality. What adapter kit are you using to mate the gearbox to the engine?

14. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

Got a adapter plate from driftmoto coming.

15. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

Got the manifolds done today. Needed a lot of work as there were cracks all over the place and wanted to use Iowa with bends rarther than sections to cut down on the amount of welding. These will be exhaust wrapped to keep engine bay temps down
    [​IMG]

16. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

Some more parts have arrived and we have finally started to put parts back on rather than taking off!!!

The all important wand. Love the quality and feel of this. Proper piece of kit by OBP.

[​IMG]

Wilwood brake bias adjuster to make sure the set up is right.

[​IMG]

HEL line lock.

[​IMG]

Cant wait to try out this IRP shifter with the M3 gearbox.

[​IMG]

The dash has been cut and around the cage and lugs fibre glassed on to secure it properly. This has now gone off to be flocked.

[​IMG]

17. Con20v

Con20v New Member

I was in this car when it was an N/A 1uz and it was a complete animal to go. 450bhp in a corolla is serious power, Link will make a great job of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Gwionsavill

Gwionsavill Member

After seeing how the clutch pedal was mounted in the car I decided to do things properly.:smash:

[​IMG]

Got on the phone to OBP as I all ready have their hand bake and after telling them about my project they kindly sorted me out with a pedal box for the car. The quality and detail of their products is amazing.

Gone for a floor mounted system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. haza88

haza88 Active Member

20. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

God this car was an epic bodge!

Was thinking it was pretty cheap for what it was, now im realising it was actually massively over priced

Glad its in good hands now