Some hanging AE86...

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by mj86, Oct 27, 2016.

1. mj86

mj86 Member

So I haven't done this before, but thought that now I've got a semi alright car I'd give it a go.

So I've been around drifting a little while, using e36 and e30s, never really having the cash to buy anything jap. Then I had the opportunity to buy a dream car of mine, an AE86. Not having the biggest budget, I happened to find one I could afford, and set off on a 5 hour train journey from Maidstone to Bradford to pick this up...

e4c99b76f0d03139465aaea3fbcd1150.

So there she is, a 1986 AE86. Greddy coilovers, Cusco cage, the weakest width and offset work equips in the world, and a gem of a 4AGE.

It came with a bride recliner and a recaro out of something. Not being a fan of the recliner I took that out and get a fixed back bride for it. Also got rid of the flat Sparco wheel, and found an OMP 2 spoke, again which is something I've always wanted.

ad10add4ac8b310c0123d2050c1673bd.
    c33fb730a2fda2837dbd71f986b16b82.

Not being a fan of the wheels, and not having the biggest budget, I stumbled across a set of 14x7 Alleycats, again not the best fitment, but I much preferred the look of them!

659c5c74aff73293c327fa6ca50772dd.
    db16bd1bfb938618f6771bb6fa0052e3.

Then shortly after this, actually on the same day that tickets for Drift Matsuri in Anglesey were released for sale, I was involved in an accident...

b0588c94ef770829ccf54e15808e5d2d.

Was hit from the side by a small Diahatsu. Bent the lower arm, castor arm, snapped the knuckle in half, bent the chassis over and bent the front cross member. Ideal!

So being the same day as tickets went up for Matsuri, which is an event I've always wanted to do, I had to decide wether to book and hope I could get it sorted or miss it again...so at 8pm I booked a ticket and the next day stripped it down.

e02269db543549a577bda858a6f8e060.
    87b308ad1a48c534bde7412590b69e73.

Made a list of parts, got some, got messed around by people for others, but eventually, I got everything together, jumped on the passenger wing to get it to a rough shape again, and got it back on the ground...

09e9aacedc36d67a99b5e2656460de8e.

Not quite the same clean looking 86 as it was a couple months ago, but it drives, and it'll do a slide! Will do for now until the winter rebuild approaches. And it's ready for matsuri!

So yeah, that's it for now, Ill try and update as and when I remember/can.

Ta muchly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  2. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

Wow this is an sporty automobile.
    I bet it was difficult getting the door to shut.
    Thanks

3. mj86

mj86 Member

It is not too bad, me and a good friend of mine did some adjustments and with approximately 2 hard slams of the door it shuts sublimely.

Thankyou very much for your comment The House.

4. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

I bet that was a great friend of yours

5. mj86

mj86 Member

Such a truly outstanding friend

6. m11ler

m11ler Member

i prefer it now

7. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Strangely enough so do I haha.

Shit luck about the accident dude but good work on getting it done, now go do a skid

8. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

Was wondering when I'd see your build pop up on here ;)

9. HaydenK

HaydenK Member

Shame about the accident man but it still looks beast!

10. Sir_Squidalot

Sir_Squidalot New Member

I saw this come up for sale near me! Was very tempted to go have a look, hoping to see it back to its former glory.

11. mj86

mj86 Member

So over the weekend I took part in my first drift day in the 86, off I went to Anglesey to see what I could do in a bent 86...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Loaded up with a weekends tyres and supplies of alcohol, I set of on my journey, and 8 hours later we arrived at Anglesey.

The morning came, we signed on, we attempted to put numbers and sunstrips on, and then i was sent to the big track first, the joys! Nothing like 3rd/4th gear drifting to get rid of some nerves...after the first lap, and top of 3rd manjis, I was settled and we were off!

The car was truly brilliant, did not put a foot wrong all day, and with sitting between 7 to 8 thousand revs for about 7 hours and having the clutch kicked around 10000 times throughout the day, I was mega happy with that!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also got a little video I've whacked on YouTube, nothing brilliant, in fact it's terrible, but it's a laugh...

It was a brilliant weekend, and I could not be happier, now to book the next day and see what else we can get out of this little car!

[​IMG]

12. juggs

juggs Member

Saw this at Matsuri was wicked to see it out there you drove the wheels off that little thing fair play!

13. mj86

mj86 Member

Thanks man! I tried to do justice to the 86s, hopefully people thought I pulled it off!

14. kieran.js

kieran.js Member

Love the style and commitment with this man!

15. mj86

mj86 Member

Thanks man, gotta be committed with an 86 haha

So I've decided on the next day, off to 3 sisters with some pals, go and throw some shapes up there and see how that goes!

May also do a Norfolk day in December, we will see. But after that it's going in the unit, and being stripped down and made refitted with good parts and made pretty and good.

Will leave you with a few matsuri pics that have popped up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. mj86

mj86 Member

So once thing I wasn't massively happy with from matsuri pics was how the backend sat, just through it sat a little too high, so I set about removing the rear spring adjusters...

[​IMG]

Biggest adjusters I've ever seen, so they went in the bin, and I whacked the springs back on the car...

[​IMG]

Mega happy with how it sits and looks, did do a bit of rubbing, so I went for a light arch roll, which revealed the rear arches were made of filler, so that was fun.

Did a clutch bleed as I managed to boil the clutch fluid at matsuri, too many clutch kicks occurring!

But I'm ready for 3 sisters now, ended up booking the Saturday and Sunday as well which will be a treat.

[​IMG]

17. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

What a gem

18. mad.matt

So.....Erm....How was 3 Sisters? ;) :smash:

19. mj86

mj86 Member

Hmm, well, yes [emoji23] the thread title has more meaning now I suppose haha

So I've just got back from a weekend at 3 sisters with pals, did a novice day and a normal drift day. Wasn't too impressed on the Saturday, as the seat time was poor due to a lot of red flags in the group I was in, but it was good to get a feel of things.

Sunday was awesome, was driving really well, really enjoyed the track and learning the lines, or creating my own ones lol

I did, of course, get it wrong, big time, on the Sunday...going in to the back section of the track I got my entry point all wrong and took out a lorry tyre, which in turn took out my door and my window...much respect to 3 sisters for how they dealt with me and even helped with the car.

[​IMG]

So yeah, thats ideal, luckily I get the keys to my unit tonight, so time to strip it down and build it back up.

Got GoPro footage to go through, but I'll chuck a few photos and a little video in now for your enjoyments [emoji8]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#19 mj86, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. mad.matt