The Driftworks S15 Silvia - 2JZGTE

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by PhilMorrison, Jan 28, 2007.

1. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

I was intending on taking lot's of built pictures, but not showing them until it was complete. Things have changed a little now that we're left with such a small amount of time to get the car complete before the start of the season. so I thought I'd show the battle that we have ahead of us step by step..

Garage D have put alot of hard work into getting their premises sorted so that they can ensure our S15's shell prep get's done properly, and they've done a great job of it.
    I turned up on Saturday, just a couple of days after work started on the S15, and the shell is surrounded by everything we need to get it prepped now. Fingers crossed with the hard work that Julian and Ant (and myself when I can) are putting into it, we should have some much nicer progress shot's the next time I go down to get my hands dirty on it.

So, alot of you have probably worked out that the plans for this car have never been to keep things simple.. Some may have even guessed that the plans we're to move on from the 4 pot SR engine.. I don't think to many people would have worked out what exactly we are doing with it.. We have all the bit's, and the recipe goes something like this:

1 x Spec R S15
    1 x 2JZ GTE 3.0 Supra engine, with a GT35, running minimun 590bhp, and using the 6 speed Getrag gearbox. All of this will be pushed back through the bulkhead 8 inches to get some balance back with the longer and heavier 3 litre lump..

Now it should be quite easy to see how much work we have ahead of us, let's get on with the first batch of photo's, and everyone can then cross their fingers for me that we get this done in time :wack:.

A seriously scary hole in my mint S15
    [​IMG]

Some thought, then some measuring, then some welding and bashing :D
    [​IMG]

Doing what he does best :smokin:
    [​IMG]

Julian using himself to mock up the weight of the new gearbox :wack:
    [​IMG]

2. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

We have a little progress in the workshop at Garage D :)

Excuse the filthy engine and gearbox, it's there for the mockup. once everything fabricated, it's coming out for a little work :)

The engine mounts wern't with the engine, and would have been around 14 inches off fitting to the S15 crossmember, so the guys had a little play with some of the equipment they have on hand.

EngineMount1.

EngineMount2.

EngineMount3.

EngineMount4.

EngineMount.

Everything is still supported by jacks and frame work, but the final measurements have been taken, and only a little work remains to get this little lot mounted correctly.

EnginePlacement1.

EnginePlacement2.

EnginePlacement3.

I'm having a little play with where the turbo is going to sit. If we've got to make a manifold from scratch we're looking at doing something a little interesting. The main focus being clearing the exhaust into the other side of the engine bay so it doesn't have to dodge the steering rack and more importantly my fat feet.

TurboMockup.

We got a crappy old seat in there to take measurements of how the framework around the gearbox will effect my driving position. Long and short of it is that it won't at all :). The only sacrafice we have to make is the clutch rest, which is'nt to much of a problem in a car that it's quite unlikely I'll commute in :wack:

SeatMockup1.

SeatMockup2.

#2 PhilMorrison, Feb 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  3. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Update! She's certainly taking shape, and we're looking at possible completion of the chassis prep by the end of this week!!! The guys at Garage D are working their asses off :nod:..
    Oh P.S. Garage D are NOT actually open yet, so don't bother ringing to get work done just yet. There will be an official Garage D opening soon, and DW peeps will be the first to hear about it :thumbs:

Build1.

Build2.

Build3.

Build4.

Build5.

Build6.

Build7.

Build8.

Build9.

Build10.

4. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Nice idea's for paint guys, I had just about settled on a look, but as we've got a bit more work to do before this chassis goes to paint, it gives me the opertunity to try a few different things :)

Anyway, mini update!.. Not as much done as we'd hoped, but there were 'minor' issues with the pipe benders being used for the cage (snapped a dye :cry: )

I'm still kidding myself that this will be done for round 1 by the way :wack:

A nice bit of 3d scalloping
    Scallop.

from the bottom
    Scallop2.

Boot floor, and rear pockets missing
    BootFloor.

Some more stitching

stitch1.

stitch2.

stitch3.

stitch4.

stitch5.

stitch6.

stitch7.

Some perfect mini stitching alternating on and off with the original spot welding
    stitch8.

Finally our inlet manifold arrived, and after we wacked the engine back in to test fit it, we found that as we suspected, it causes a small issue with the new tubbed arches.. The manifold is being chopped ever so slightly, and another small scallop will be taken out of the arch.

Plenum.

Plenum2.

Plenum3.

It's a 4 cylinder 2jz :smokin:
    Plenum4.

#4 PhilMorrison, Mar 14, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  5. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

In true Garage D style, there was a problem, and the next day there isn't..

ChopChop

mockIC4.

Scooooop
    mockIC3.

OMG!!!!!

mockIC2.

OMGx2!!!!!
    mockIC1.

OMGx1billion!!!!!
    mockIC5.

6. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Some Goodies :smokin:

-10 800bhp Aeromotive main pump, and a trick lifter pump.
    Pumpage.

#6 PhilMorrison, Mar 20, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  7. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

The paint scheme is still a work in progress :D. Thanks for everyones suggestions, unfortunately the single most important factor is keeping things simple so that the sponsors logo's are visable and in the correct size... P.S. Username, stop posting for the sake of it dude ;).. Reading the forum is a much better idea than posting sometimes :wack:

Anyway, here's a couple of progress shot's. I'll have more soon, as the cage has officialy been started, and should progress quite quickly now :)

Rear arch, tubbed then brought out to exactly butt up to the over fender, as there's no way I want to be replacing Vertex Ridge rear quarters every time I delaminate a tyre :D

Never mind the BM rim ;). You'll notice there's no subframe on the car, so it was just to get an idea of flushness :smokin:

reararch1.

reararch2.

8. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Right, work has now started again :smokin:. I spent all day, and most of the night at Garage D yesterday. We got alot of the smaller fiddly jobs done, that will be 10 times as difficult once the cage is in there, and whilst shielding my eyes from weld burn :wack: I started cutting, drilling, and bracketing the fibreglass doors, then I did some serious adjusting to get the Vertex Ridge bodykit to fit over the beefy rear arches we'd built to protect the arch in the event of tyre delamination. I mocked up the rest of the kit, and although, yeah I admit at the moment, it just looks like an S15 shell with a Vertex Ridge kit, it has bumped up my drive to make sure this get's sorted now in as short a time as possible. We are really so close to getting the cage in it now. I'll be back down there either tonight or tomorrow morning, and by then Julian should have the Bpillar and Apillar bent up, and ready for all the various crossbraces, and doorbars etc..

I can see the light!!!!!!! :wack:

VertexKit1.

VertexKit2.

VertexKit3.

9. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

CAGEMONGUS!!!

These pics are a bit large, but only to give you a bit of an idea of how good the work on this cage is :smokin:.. It's not complete yet, but this is how it looked at 12 last night.

cage1.

cage2.

cage3.

cage4.

cage5.

cage6.

cage7.

cage8.

cage9.

Gusset.

Weldatron.

And while Julian didn't need me, I cracked on with making a vent in my lovely carbon fibre bonnet :cry:. It's not finished yet, but it almost has the disired shape.

CutCarbon.

Vent3.

Vent1.

Vent2.

Anyway, I'm back down there again now. Fingers crossed we can have it ready for paint by tomorrow.

Attached Files:

10. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Some more of this today:

Weldatron2.

Which resulted in an absolutely awesome, now complete cage :smokin: :

cagecomplete1.

cagecomplete2.

Which after another full day of work and then some, meant that the car finally left Garage D for Little Knocks to take over the prep and paint :smokin:..

OffWeGo.

I'll be dropping down to Little Knocks next week to help out with the prep,so more pictures soon :thumbs:.

#10 PhilMorrison, Jun 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  11. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Little Knocks are awesome!! :smokin:. I went down there this morning to find the car already zinc primered :worthy:

ZincPrimer.

So while the guys were prepping some of the body panels, I went at the shell with seam sealer. Basically just doing the back section of the car to try and stop some of the tyre smoke from infiltrating the cabin, and sealing the rear firewall brackets..

SeamSealer.

While we waited for that to dry a little, the rest of the shell was prepped for paint, and a small hole was cut in the roof for a sunroof :D

RoofScoop.

Then the doors and bumpers were painted

FirstPaint.

Paintedbumpers.

So the shell was pushed into the booth

PaintBooth.

and the first coat was started

FirstPaintCar.

And then after an hour and a half or extremely challenging painting we have one painted shell :worthy:

RearPainted.

RearQuarterPainted.

FrontPainted.

That's just the first part of the paintjob, but really not bad going considering work started yesterday. Many thanks to Tom, Chris, Richard and Stuart :worthy:

LittleKnocks.

12. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

The S15 is still nowhere near completion. However, after working with Julian at Garage D to complete the chassis prep, and then getting the car to LittleKnocks, who turned the paintjob around in an absolutely incredible amount of time. Then after pulling as many 15-20 hour days as is humanly possible in the past couple of weeks, and with the help of an absolutely awesome bunch of friends; As of about an hour ago, the Driftworks S15 was looking pretty good, and ready for some decent photographs.... Well, I say decent, but they don't really do the car justice. They are just quick no flash shots outside our workshop taken by a very very tired me, so I'll ensure I get someone to take some photographs worthy of the car asap :smokin:

I couldn't be much happier with the look of the car. I'll go out on a limb and happily declare that it's the best S15 Silvia I've ever seen.
    We've just got to make it go as well as it looks now. But with the 2JZ mounted through the bulkhead, and a little development time, this should be no probs.

Anyway, onto what really matter...... Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Okay, very small update.
    We've been kind of held up by turbo's as I'd decided the GT35 0.64 just wasn't going to cut the mustard, and as I knew it would change the manifold design, we needed to have the correct turbo in our hands to complete the manifold and exhaust.

So in comes: Garret GT4088 1.06 version :wack:

Here it is compared to a T28

[​IMG]

Haha :D Joke, that's a Smart car turbo :wack:. The 4088 is still fappin huge though.

Here's some familiarly grubby palms supporting the bigness. I'm assured the remaining fab work will be turned around very quickly now, and we can have the car back in the DW workshop to complete the build real soon. :smokin:.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Ahhhh Progress!!! :smokin:. I know it doesn't look like much, but the manifold is 90% finished, and that means that another of the biggest problems to overcome is checked off the list.

To get a real gauge of just how big the blower is, that is a 3" diameter stainless pipe exiting the turbo :wack:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

The S15 is back at DW after Garage D finished with the manifold and exhaust. We've had a minor hiccup with the wastegate position interfering with the alternator, so it looks like I'll be getting the chopsaw out, and ruining all Julians lovely work :wack:, but in the mean time, I've managed to find some time over the past couple of days to tick a major job off the list :smash:.
    I've re-engineered the gear lever and linkage mechanism, to correct for the engine and gearbox being pushed so far back into the car..
    What an absolute ball ache of a job! I'm pretty chuffed with the result though :smokin:

Before and After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shortened selector extension shaft
    [​IMG]

All bolted in, finished and tested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Okay, it's been a mad few days working on the S15. I've really got over some big hurdles, so I've got a pretty big smile on my face at the moment :smokin:

I did the gear linkage, and I've now managed to fit a custom Wilwood clutch pedal with rear facing master cylinder (no pics yet). I'm working on the handbrake mechanism, and I've managed to relocate the Alternator on the 2JZ motor to the other side of the engine (after welding the bracket 4 times before I managed to get it to not warp with the heat of each new weld :smash: )

The engine is coming together nicely, and CrazyAnt just bought a tig welder, so we'll have some more of the custom work done in a more timely manor from this point on hopefully.
    Today we spent half the day listing everything we need to complete the fuel system. Damn this is going to be expensive :cry: :wack:.
    Tomorrow we'll be going through the massive amount of other custom hoses, connections, bolts and fixings hopefully, so if I need to I can work over Christmas to get more done..

We've just got ramps, so watch this space for some hasty crafting action :D

Sorry the pictures arn't that great, my camera's decided to act up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Haha :D No worries Rees, it's one of the many jobs on the list :D

Small update. These pics were from Thursday and Friday.

Due to the massive increase in size of the new turbo, I had to get creative with the bonnet :wack:. It took about two hours to do this as I originally made the vent out of 2mm aluminium. It's not finished yet. I'll be covering the hole the compressor housing made, but possibly leaving the exhaust housing to glow through the bonnet :D.. Regardless, I must appologies to Tom at Little Knocks, who spent hours making my aluminum vent look right before painting.

[​IMG]

A large proportion of Wednesday was spent working out the fittings for the fuel system. Thanks to our friends at Exact, on Thursday they arrived..

Who would care to hazzard a guess as to how much this little lot cost before our discount :cry: :cry: :wack:

[​IMG]

18. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Myself and Ant have been doing some good work this week. By 7:30 today (Christmas Eve) We had made enough progress to deserve some pics. Then of course the camera battery ran out :wack:. Here's what I got before it did.

Fuel system: I'd say we're 80% complete on this. God knows how many hours have gone into it so far, but the hard works done I think.

After a quick visit to the metal supermarket, I made a bracket to carry the lift pump on the fuel tank supports I'd made previously. Here it is mounted with the matching aeromotive 10 micron filter, and the -8 lines made up.

[​IMG]

The rear firewall is now pretty much complete thanks to some hard work by James, Ant and myself. We're quite pleased with it. All it needs is a new pot of fireproof seam sealer, but it doesn't have any gap bigger than 1mm which is quite a feat if you've ever seen the shape of an S15 boot. Next sesh it'll have the rear firewall bulkhead fittings for the -10 feed and -8 return fitted.

[​IMG]

Needs a polish ;), and that gap was corrected after the photo ;).
    [​IMG]

The rear fuel install is almost there too. I've even made a massive swirl pot. I just don't trust my ally TIG skills enough to not ruin it, so I've got a mobile welder we've used before coming to drop a bag of skill on it, as well as a whole pile of other ally bit's I've fabricated, but not had the courage to weld :D

Aeromotive UberMegaPump and 100micron filter. Lot's more braided hosing to come :)
    [​IMG]

Then we get to the front, and this is where the camera died. It's a shame as this pic makes it look a bit of a spagheti mess. I'm actually pretty proud of myself, as I've never done an Aeromotive fitting before.

What you can see is a -10 bulkhead fitting, into a Yblock adapter. I wanted -10 in, and 2 -8 out, unfortunately they didn't have that on the shelf, and they didn't have a -10 in 2x -10 out that I could use reducers on, so I had to source a -10 plug tap from Glasgow, and drill it out.
    All went reasonably well, and I even managed to drill and tap the mounting holes to bolt through from the wheelarch to keep it looking cleaner in the engine bay.
    Anyway, the Y block goes to to -8 lines, one to the front of the rail and one to the back. then I drill and tapped the rail to accept an M14 to -8 male to male, that goes to the new Turbosmart -8 to -8 Fuel Pressure reg, and back to the -8 bulkhead fitting for the return.

Believe it or not, what you see there is pretty much every hose for the front section of the fuel system. It's just not attached to the fuel rail in the picture. The ally pot is the new powersteering pot.
    [​IMG]

19. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Handbrake :)

[​IMG]

And did a bit of this:
    [​IMG]

Which resulted in this:
    [​IMG]

Loads more stuff TIG'd today too. I just need to polish it all up and fit it all now. Dead chuffed :smokin:

20. PhilMorrison

Staff Member

Well, it's the last update of 2007... Man that crept up on me :rolleyes:..

Not much of an update, but I feel it shows in some way why a project like this takes so bloody long. All I did today was the wastegate support, and it took five bloody hours :rolleyes:. but hey, at least it's another job off the incredibly huge list.

Basically, because of the position and size of the turbo, and the weight of the wastegate hanging so far forward, I wanted to do everything I could to stop the manifold from cracking. We all know it's going to happen, but at least I can be confident I did everything I could to hold it off as long as possible..

Ant did a superb job of the main manifold support you can see in the picture too, and I've just done the slightly more delicate, and incredibly fiddly wastegate support to match. As I said, it doesn't look like much, but it's one of those really important jobs that will hopefully gain a little bit more reliability in competition :)

[​IMG]