Jamiecall's e36 drift build.

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by jamiecall, Apr 30, 2008.

1. jamiecall

jamiecall Member

Hi lads. I just bought a mint 1991 Bmw 325i E36 4 door. I'm basically looking for advise on what to do so i can turn it into my drift starter project. Obviously i'm gonna weld the diff and strip some of the weight from it but i also want to know how to go about reinforcing the back axle because i heard that this can come away from the boot floor. Also looking for advice on suspension ie would it be ok to just fit gas shocks and lowering springs or would i need to get coilovers etc. And of course i want to know how i can get the most power from it !! :wave:. Oh and this is not going to be a daily driver or anything. Gonna be trailored around.

2. SRRay

SRRay mr fussy!

Fair play jamie,strip it,weld it,drift it!Coilovers would be the way to go for acurate suspension set up if the funds allow.

3. jamiecall

jamiecall Member

Funds might allow for coilovers. Where would i start buying stuff for it. Ebay looks to have some stuff but there seems to be so much stuff available for jappers. Anyone have any websites they wanna share for e36 drift goodies? Would it be easier to build a cage or buy one. I also have an old omp bucket seat but no rail. Where would i pick up a frame for it?

#3 jamiecall, Apr 30, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  4. jamiecall

jamiecall Member

Any others??

5. 20vWill

20vWill Active Member

I have a full subframe-to-floorpan reinforcement kit available, as well as uprated rear shock mounts which are guaranteed for life! PM me.

6. jamiecall

jamiecall Member

First pic

DCP00952.

7. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

8. Silverfang

Silverfang F**knuggets

I'd rebush it first! get it running on Polybushes, weight loss is a GOOD thing :thumbs: and sorting the diff out.

The rebush with polys should tighten it up nicely and make it more prediciable and means further suspension tuning will have a greater effect :nod:

9. jamiecall

jamiecall Member

Thanks for the advice lads.

10. jamiecall

jamiecall Member

Started stripping it today finally. Bought a Recaro bucket seat and harnesses for it as well. Must wait for a bracket before i can fit the seat though. Its going to get the diff welded this week and also subframe-to-floorpan reinforcement done. Can't wait to start thrashing it!! :dw:

photo-3.

photo-4.

photo-2.

photo-1.

photo.

11. jamiecall

jamiecall Member

Diff is welded, Subframe good, Locknuts removed. Seat is going in today and cage will be done during the week. Must do oil and filter as well.

12. jamiecall

jamiecall Member

Hi all. Its been ages since i got time to work on the car with holidays, work etc. Anyway i've welded the diff and the rear subframe, cage is in and painted (Badly!! :tease:) and the seat is mounted properly. All i need to do now is fit the harnesses and give it a go!! Must try and poke out some free wheels with tyres. Here's a few pics of my progress:

100_1199.

100_1200.

100_1201.

100_1202.

100_1203.

100_1204.

13. caged

caged Drift Gibbon

i say this in the nicest, most constructive way p[ossible but that welding looks suspect

14. Hammond

Hammond Active Member

isnt the cage supposed to be as CLOSE to the actual shell of the car as possible? i know sweet fa about cages but surely youll have mud up your nose before that cage even kisses the ground...

15. tetsujin

tetsujin Johnny 5 ALIVE

surely the cage should 'hug' the roofline of the roof on the main hoop??? Thats the whole point of the cage, to stop the car squasing in.

16. jamiecall

jamiecall Member

Hi lads. Thanks for the comments. Pictures are a little deceiving, the cage goes well over my head when i'm seated. Plus it was fabricated and welded by Walton Smith (Julians brother), who's work i have no reason to doubt. Hopefully i'll never have to test it though!! :wave:

17. caged

caged Drift Gibbon

100_1202.

come onnn! :confused::wack:

18. jamiecall

jamiecall Member

I'm not an expert on cages or welding. What am i missing with the welding??

19. caged

caged Drift Gibbon

that it looks like 8snotty mig welds laid on top of each other and that the main hoop is way too low