Lada driftcar / racecar

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by mancs, Mar 14, 2009.

1. mancs

mancs Member

Hi there!

Im kind of new here, I have been reading only untill now :) I want to start a thread for my car, and its building, etc. Well actualy, I had a thread on another forum, but its not as drift related as this one. Im going to cheat btw, and copy some of my post from there, hope you guys dont mind :) Im hoping that I can discuss my ideas with other people, and make my car better :worthy: Oh and I will be quite random, so forgive me.

Sooo. Why lada I hear you ask :)

Well my first racing related moments were in a lada, in one of my friends car. He participated in a lot of slalom racing back than, and imidiatly I was in love. RWD, twin webers, lovely sound, what else do you need? So I bought my car when I was 14-15, worked for it a lot, and bought this piece of crap (well, back then it looked good...):

[​IMG]

Well now of course I wouldnt have bought it, but this is my first build/ first car, so I didnt know how to buy a car. Anyways, the building has started, I ripped out the interrior:
    [​IMG]

Than I took it to a guy who claimed that he will do all the metal work, and give me my car back full rust free. Well later of course it turned out he wasnt as good as his promise...
    [​IMG]

Later the car got painted (also very horribly I have tomention :euge: )

[​IMG]

And I started to put the car together. Well a lot of time has passed, I was in high school, so I couldnt work to much, the total time of the build was 2-3 years!! Yeah talk about patience... :)

The engine it got is a lada 1600 ccm engine with first 296° cam, than later 316° cam, ported head, and twin dellorto carbs:
    [​IMG]

Suspension: Well first I didnt knew anything about why you need harder springs, etc. For lada's there are a lot of rumors, what you should put in, so that it will be good, so that was my starting point. Front and rear, I used lada NIVA springs, witch are harder, and I took my shocks and refurbished them, also managed to make them slightly stronger. Also fitted 30mm spacers around. Suspension was "finished" well I thought...

This is what my "rust free" chassis looked:
    [​IMG]

I was fed up with people not doing there job properly, so I bought a CO welder and did the jobmy self. It turned out pretty good, and solid so far:

[​IMG]

So I was breaking the engine in, Iwas using it on the streets for a while. Lowered it more,changed the cam to the 316° etc etc.

Some random pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Becouse Im quite a big fela' (192cm, 100kg), I had to lower the seating position, witch ment cuting the old ones:
    [​IMG]

No pic ofthe installed seats tho.

Also, I bought a lots of books, here is one:
    [​IMG]

This helped me a lot! My carbs are 95% set up, so Im happy :)

Interrior with my old wheel:

[​IMG]

This is how she looked back then:

[​IMG]

More to come :)

2. bandit1

bandit1 Bert Reynolds

Awsome man totally awsome :thumbs:

3. Corey_XR4I

Corey_XR4I XR4I 24V FTW

That is pretty awsome in its little own way....very cool

EDIT: WOW i said a lada was cool ;) :thumbs:

4. mancs

mancs Member

Hehe thanks guys!

Corey_XR4I, most people say the same thing, that they never have thought they will say that a lada can be cool :)

5. mancs

mancs Member

It looks that one of my posts has lost.. :( Well never mind.

So the steering was quite heavy of course. I needed a P/S. But I hate oil tubes, oil pumps etc. So I bought an electric, and figured it out how it works, and fitted it to my car:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It turned out so well, that we started selling kits. Also steering quickners, and there are a lot of ladas, bmw-s etc runing with our electric servo. Witch is quite nice! :)

6. mancs

mancs Member

So, a lot of things happened, I left out a lot of things, but lets jump to the present.

I started learning about suspensions, bought a few books, started designing, etc. And well, we have double wishbone front, but its the worst you can imagine... It has alot of POSITIVE camber gaining, its very big, so we cant incriese steering angle, so I started designing a new suspension. Well its still under development. But we will have negative camber gaining, zero ackermann, not to much castor, and much, much lowwer suspension. As with this suspension, if we go lower, the total geometry F-s up...:euge:

But these are my current settings: -1.5° camber, 6° castor 1-1mm toe IN. Its a mixed setup, cos the car isnt only for drifting, but minirally-s and slalom races as well. It handles quite nicely, but Idefenetly need bigger steering angle...

Other future plans:

New engine. Its going to be a fiat 2000ccm twincam. Mine is only refreshed with new bearings, etc, its going to be around 120-130 hp. Zolas engine is the same, but with cams, big valves, etc Aroung 160-ish hp. Its going to be awesome.

My engine sitting around:
    [​IMG]

Zola's:
    [​IMG]

Lancia camcover is just lovely:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I want to fit a pedalbox as well for more engine room. Becouse we are going to mount the engine back further, and much lower than it sits atm.

Btw, I love my trumpets, so you guys will see a lot of pictures of it :smash: :
    [​IMG]

I centered my panhard as well, it was way to offset due the lowering. But finaly the rear is in good hight:
    [​IMG]

Panhard mod:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, there is no rear swaybar on a factory lada, so I fitted a fiat 125-s front swaybar:
    [​IMG]

Works like a charm.

#6 mancs, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  7. mancs

mancs Member

And my last post, witch brings us to the present estate :)

The story:

Friday the 13th, was just a perfect day for me, no sign of unluckyness, I passed my english language exam (oral part), borrowed a trailer (or towwer?) from a friend for free, everything was set up for a perfect saturday the 14th :smash:

They organized a slalom/rallysprint race "nearby", so It was time to test the car with these suspension settings, and the centered panhard, lowered rear end. I have to say, the car is VERY good to drive now. No sign of understeer, only if you are entering a corner with way to much speed. Everything was fine, untill... Well on the practise run, I smashed my second gear's synchro... :smash: So I had to hold the gear shifter, in second, other wise it throwed it self in neutral. Well ok, shit happens... I completed my first timed lap, but I had to go again, becouse there was a fault in the photoelectric cell which times your lap. I was happy, I got more laps to go. Well, on that lap, I completly destroyed the gearbox, and it seems like it took the clutch with it as well.. :euge:

So I have to change transmission (lucky that I bought a sport tranny earlier), and probably clutch as well... Expensive weekend... Well I guess thats autosport :p

Btw, I think it is time to buy a pair of R888-s on the rear rims as well, becouse I couldnt get any traction! They do a perfect job on the front end of the car, no warming needed, and they stick like hell. So it was very spectacular for the viewers, but very slow... Fun tho... :thumbs:

Small little vid:
    Lada 2107 slalom rally sprint- Video

Well thats all, I'l write herefrom now on, hope that few people will find the concept interresting :worthy:

Cheers

8. mancs

mancs Member

9. DaveM

DaveM flickwandoops

Superb wee car, sounds brilliant and looks like great fun to chuck about. Good on you for teaching yourself everything needed to build it too!

10. KE KID

KE KID Howling Mad

Thats well ace :smokin:

4 Doors and a boot - FTW :thumbs:

11. griffo20022

griffo20022 Active Member

This is awsome! Keep up the good work! Keep it updated on here too!

12. thermal

thermal Member

i would have scrapped that a long time ago

13. mancs

mancs Member

Yeah thanks :no:

Anyway some pics:
    CarsAndGirls_drift081115_362.

CarsAndGirls_drift081115_19.

CarsAndGirls_drift081115_290.

CarsAndGirls_drift081115_33.

:thumbs:

14. Mark_D

Mark_D Active Member

You rock! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

15. goose

goose Member

awesomeness!

16. jaan1414

jaan1414 New Member

Are you using original lada shocks? And what have you done with steering angle?

17. mancs

mancs Member

Hi there!

Yes at the moment Im using modified stock shocks (hardened). But Im going to change it to adjustable GAZ coilovers (the universal type). Steering angle isnt enough yet even though the steering limiters are cut of, witch gives about ~10° more than stock. Not to much :( Yet... :)

18. hirohazaka

hirohazaka Member

19. Cheshire190e

Cheshire190e Active Member

great work man, keep it up. i bet it will be a right weapon with the twin cam in

20. abactus

abactus Member

i see driftmechaniks stickers :thumbs::D