Saab engined Audi S4 (page 18)

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Andy P, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Andy P

Andy P Member

Righto, this isn't strictly drift but once it's been completed I'll probably do a few drift days. I've had the car for years now and it's gone through various guises but now I've bitten the bullet and decided to go all out and undertake a bit of an epic project.

The Plan is of course, to make my beloved S40 RWD. I've been gathering parts for a little while now - I was planning on waiting until a bit more had been completed before making a thread but a recent change of circumstance has motivated me to crack on with it to take my mind off other aspects of my life. Sob story over :smash:

Here's a very brief history of the car Vems project link

And a pic from one of its better days (because I'm a bit of a pic whore)

HOLIDAYO8077.

So the project in a little more detail. I'll be using the RWD parts from an Evo. You may think this is a bit of a strange choice but the S40 and Evo share the same chassis platform. The parts I managed to get were from an early Evo with a viscous type LSD which I've now stripped and waiting for my special order shims to arrive from Japan. I intend to use this as a road/ track / drift day car so I've no intention of welding it up (not yet anyway!)

A few pics of said parts -

DSC00228.

DSC00231.

DSC00239.

I then got hold of a polybush kit -

DSC00289.

Problem is the kit is actually for a pre '86 RangeRover! But I managed to get the whole set for £31 so no big loss if none of them fitted. (If just one fitted I'd have already saved money because the cost of them for an Evo is crazy!)

After a bit of a mess about I managed to get this -

DSC00291.

To look something like -

DSC00290.

Result! I'm pretty sure I'll manage to get more of them to fit but I've not bothered yet. I want to get it all trial bolted to the car before I waste time on parts that might not fit!

So, the other day I make a bit of a start on the car itself. The engine has already been taken out and all the easy parts of the interior (seats, carpets etc). Onto the stands -

DSC00299.

A little while twiddling spanners drops the front subframe (soon to be chopped!)-

DSC00300.

And a pic to show a bit of the strippage -

DSC00303.

Last night I decided to take the dash out (was quietly dreading it) which turned out not so bad in the end -

Just started...
    DSC00313.

And out!
    DSC00315.

Not much more actual work has taken place yet but because I can never resist buying pointless stuff so thats why I already have these...

New "dash"
    DSC00306.

17" steel wheels - 5x114.3 and 6.5j...Expect some banding action ;)
    DSC00307.

Box
    DSC00308.

Which had a seat in it - Excellent for watching Eastenders in..
    DSC00309.

Bargain wheel and snap-off boss
    DSC00311.

Boss
    DSC00312.

Always inteneded on making it look a little more decent so...
    DSC00316.

Thats better :)
    DSC00317.

A quick little rundown of the expected spec..

Evo rear running gear, Saab B234R engine (4 cylinder 2.3L turbo), Holset HX40, V-mount ic, Jaguar gearbox, KW coilovers, KAD 6pot calipers with Ap 330mm discs, corsa electric PAS, Vovlo340 manual rack.

Oh yeah, the turbo -

DSC00014.

DSC00016.

Think thats around about it

#1 Andy P, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  2. Ed

Ed Anti-Dibs

Cool, I loved my V40 wagon, would be cool to see one of them drifting :nod:

Where did you get the 17in steels in 5x114? PM me if you'd prefer to keep it secret ;)

3. Andy P

Andy P Member

Wheels are from a Dodge Caliber :)

Managed to get mine off Ebay for £5.50 each :D

4. Teddyy

Teddyy Member

Really good looking cr, best of luck with it!

5. mitsi_matt

mitsi_matt dorihomo

im loving this! what a random collection of parts.
    converting a fwd to rwd using parts from a 4wd.:wack: epic.:nod:

6. richie*is200

richie*is200 Member

savage looking well done and good luck.

7. Deee

Deee Member

Quality mate, all the best with it.

Can I ask what Jag box you'll be using? Only I was looking at putting the Saab lump in one of my cars last year but got put off as the only straight rwd box was the carlton/omega ones which cant handle the torque that B234 produces.

8. Mode

Mode Member

This is insane.... a s40 going sideways... i like it alot,will keap eye on this :)

9. jimmya

jimmya Member

10. Andy P

Andy P Member

Cheers for the comments guys! Was very unsure of posting this in fear of the bombardment of hate and the "get a 200sx" remarks.

Dee, I'll pm you as you're not the first to ask!

11. KarlosMR2

KarlosMR2 Member

this is freakin awesome!

12. Andy P

Andy P Member

A little update but unfortunately no pics (not worth it!) as I only managed to get about 30 mins on the car after hoovering the hall, feeding the cat, hanging out the washing lol....

Continued to strip the rear suspension off - 11 years of road grime had securely fixed some of the bolts in place so lots of WD40, swearing and beating with hammers resulted in one or two sheared bolts. One side down, one to go!

Once both sides are off I'll drop the tank and start getting trigger happy with the angle grinder - Can't wait!

In other related news, I might have sorted a powered garage just a few minutes down the road from my house which would be pretty awesome :)

Andy

13. Nilus

Nilus Member

cool
    but I don`t think that using evo rearend for rwd is a good idea.....
    stock diff (diff cover) and axles are really sux

14. Andy P

Andy P Member

Thanks for your input. I chose the Evo rear end because the very little fabrication that will be required to make it fit (most of the mounts are identical for the S40 - I'll only need to fabricate the front mounting point for the diff.

However - if you think this setup is too weak then how do you suggest I make it better? How much power can this rear end take?

As I already have all the parts, I might still go ahead and then if it does break then see if I can figure something else out!

Andy

15. Papercutout

Papercutout Active Member

Looks like an interesting idea to me mate!

I'm also interested in info about that Jag g/box. Which one fits the engine? What work needs doing? How much power will it take?

KW are ok - MEGA overpriced though. All the cheap dampers are chinese shite and the expensive ones are Koni's. Check the price for Koni one's instead. I'm afraid we don't do any at Spax for any Evo's, so I can't really help :(

And for Evo info, see Nilus's thread:
    http://www.driftworks.com/forum/dri...c-lancer-evolution-iii-rs-rwd-drift-spec.html

16. turbo haus touge

turbo haus touge super slider!

woah savage project man! very interesting! :D

17. Nilus

Nilus Member

if you install it "as is"
    the weak places will be:
    subframe (left diff mounting)
    rear diff cover - it cracks too easy (i`ve posted pics in my thread)
    driveshafts - they are too thin
    upper diff mounting - i`ve broke one

my suggest is to use my configuration
    evo 5-9 suspension/aluminum subframe/left&right sidemembers
    nissan turbo diff
    5/4 bolt wheel hubs (non GTR)
    two long (right) driveshafts from turbo nissan Gloria

of course it`s not so easy to find all of this, but I think it`s ideal configuration if you want to use/stay on EVO suspension and get a real strong diff/shafts

another alternative is to use nissan rearend subframe/suspension/diff/shafts
    it`s not so hard to fit.......

you decide

18. Andy P

Andy P Member

Cheers,

I've already got KW's so that not a problem ;) Had them for about 4 years now and when I removed them a few days ago, underneath the crap mud and dust of being a daily driver, they're still looking brand new.

The Jag box isn't a bolt on item - there is a little messing about but its not too bad. Its the best comprimise between strength and fabrication. Powerwise, there's a guy on another forum thats been using his Jag box for the past 3 years running in excess of 550bhp. Prior to that he had broken 3x Cosworth T5 gearboxes in as many months...

Hmmn, its definately something to consider. I think I'll progress with what I already have but at the same time I'll look to get those parts, so if/ when it breaks I can swap the parts over with a bit of fabrication.

:)

19. Andy P

Andy P Member

So a little bit more done - only another 20 mins or so before I "had" to go to the pub :wack:

Exhaust off
    DSC00319.

Finally got all of the right side rear off. If you look back to the Evo parts its all remarkably similar. Also note the main bush! Might be why it often felt a little loose back there!
    DSC00320.

Roll on the weekend!

20. Andy P

Andy P Member

Apologies for the lack of updates on this but I've been very busy working on everyone elses cars!

Not a great deal has changed aside from a bit more strippage but....

I've bought the engine donor car :) Will hopefully pick it up this weekend if I can sort out some sort of transporter or trailer...

Will update with pics asap.