Ian.G's Levin Drift and Trackcar project

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Ian.G, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Ian.G

Ian.G 86 ColdTurkey

I took ownership of my Levin in September 2004 when it was purchased from Mr CorollaRWD.

[​IMG]

The car was extensively modified when it come from the motherland but since then its had the following new bits added:

• T3 Quickshifter
    • T3 Tow Eye
    • T3 Billet Intake Trumpets & Pipercross filters
    • Tokico HTS Adjustable Suspension
    • Bride Buckets and Rails
    • Willains 4-point harnesses
    • Mintex 1144 brake pads all round
    • spare set of Dori 2 wheels
    • TRD solid engine and gearbox mounts
    I have plans to do the following which I will document on this thread as they happen..
    • Remove the rest of the front interior and sound deadening from the floorpan done
    • Paint the floor in black to match the back part of the interior in progress
    • Remove the stereo, speakers and all associated wiring done
    • Remove the airconditioning done
    • Remove the dashboard and get it covered in that non-reflective felt stuff from rally cars in progress
    • Remove freedom ECU and replace with VEMS and new loom
    • Install fire extinguisher
    • Install Fidanza Adjustable Cam Gears
    • Install revised fuel system with swirl pot and remote fuel reg
    • Install carbon fibre drop vent bonnet
    • Install oil temp and water temp gauges
    • install oil cooler, oil stat and remote filter boss
    • Install higher capacity ally radiator
    • and the list goes on.
    Watch this space.

#1 Ian.G, Oct 13, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  2. liberal123

liberal123 Member

:o

Very nice, real clean, like that alot :D

3. Lex

Lex www.dwyb.co.uk

love this car - lost my haichi dori virginity in it :wave:

4. Ry H

Ry H Active Member

love the car dude :worthy:

5. eircamae86

eircamae86 In a hole, literally

Go on lad!!! :worthy:

6. maxlee

maxlee Member

that looks grate

you should by a yokomo drift rc kit and you could have a matching r/c one as well :nod:

7. BenR

BenR Member

can i have it?

8. skidz

skidz Member

Nice looking motta fella :thumbs:

9. Nick Sheen

Nick Sheen Box Assassin

yeh or...and bare with me on this one..he could save his money for something worthwhile and not shit :thumbs:

10. Ry H

Ry H Active Member

speaking the truth there nick haha! :thumbs:

11. Nick Sheen

Nick Sheen Box Assassin

it was a paid contract E-attack, i cant say no more.

12. Ian.G

Ian.G 86 ColdTurkey

Yes Ben....you can have it down at your workshop sometime and perform the VEMS transplant and make the motor run sweet. I think it may be a good opportunity to overhaul the motor too but we need to talk about that. Maybe I need to give you a ring ?

Its off for a compression test in the morning to see whats what and to perform another base timing test - I've had the dizzy slip round a few degrees before and that made it run like total poo.

Nick is right. The RC car thing is cool - in fact I used to still race them until a few years ago - was fun - but for the money of a good RC with all the nice bits I could almost do 3 trackdays or buy some of the bits it needs to finish it off.

#12 Ian.G, Oct 14, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  13. BenR

BenR Member

not quite the 'have it' i was wanting ;)

But i guess sitting in it and pretending is the next best thing.

Just give me a bell and we can discuss anything you wish.

14. Ian.G

Ian.G 86 ColdTurkey

Well,

came back from a compression test this morning and results were all between 130 and 150psi - some variance - but not all that massive I guess. Car is running rich as a bastard so I really need to get things moving on the VEMS front.

Instrument panel fuse blew out again today :cry: it was a bit slippy on a roundabout on the way to the garage - it usually blows at drift days but not track days. I'm pretty sick of this now so its time to have the dashboard out and hunt the problem.

Lost drive to the speedo as well now :(. Cable is spot on as we can turn it and make the odometer needle move. I guess its the little nylon gear on the box that has died. Looks easy enough to do - just have to go to the 'yota dealers on monday and get it ordered. Probably a good time to order the power steering belt I'll need when the aircon goes in the bin.

15. drift_gtir

drift_gtir 360 Motorsport

Ian the car looks killa , wick dude

16. CorollaRWD

CorollaRWD -RUTHLESS-

Those shity worm drives on the gearbox ends always go I must have done about 4 in my black corolla.
    Can t you lace Maz' palm with gold and get him to sort out the freedom ECU for you?

17. Ian.G

Ian.G 86 ColdTurkey

:wave: Hey Alex - my last year of car fun is pretty much down to you - so thanks again. You looked proper busy at silverstone the other weekend - shame I didn't get to thank you in person.

If Mr Maz can help my piggy bank has gold coins waiting. Can you PM me some contact info m8 ? From all the reading I did on Freedom I am know how good it is - would be a shame to take it away.

18. BenR

BenR Member

All rollas are running rich, its the bodgy fuel systems that the japs slap on.

the varience between compresssion is about 15%, i'd have a look at things to try find from where.

19. Ian.G

Ian.G 86 ColdTurkey

Well,

bit of work on the car this mornin. Had all the bottom section of the dashboard out to try and figure out why my rev counter and gauges fuse keeps blowing when drifting. Seemed like a good opportunity to bin the stereo and speakers too so they are now gone. I reckon I've saved about 1kg - so thats an extra 0.0000003458bhp/tonne

There is some weird shit going on under the dashboard - my car has had some aftermarket central locking system installed on it just to the left of the drivers side speaker there is a huge 'ball' of wiring with fuse sockets and all sorts of shit on it. There were a few open ended wires on it so they have now been insulated so we'll see how it goes.

I have a std non-aircon center console panel waiting to be fitted - but I don't want to do this until my power steering belt comes - which also means I can't bin the aircon yet either - so many little jobs are now dependant on my order from the 'yota dealer to arrive.

Off to the SHIT_Expectations (p-nuts garage) workshop now to get the car on the ramp and sort the back brakes ready for mondays dorifto fun.

#19 Ian.G, Oct 22, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  20. Ian.G

Ian.G 86 ColdTurkey

R.I.P little 4AGE

Engine now dead after a fun trackday at dono...suspected bottom end bearings but we wont know until the open heart surgery starts.

Oh well - a year of being spanked something had to give.