Has Snetterton canceled drift days?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Andrex, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Andrex

Andrex Member

Was a drift day there in July and was going to book it. Was also a couple in September/October time I think. The Msv website has no dates for drifting there anymore when you search for it. Only days at Oulton Park.

The link on the snetterton thread doesn't lead to dates anymore either

Anyone know anything?

#1 Andrex, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  2. Gazelle

Gazelle Well-Known Member

Have you rung them?

I'll also be booking July and sep....

3. Andrex

Andrex Member

I haven't rung as of yet. I'll probably ring up tomorrow. I'll update when I have spoke with them.

Just seems strange for the dates to disappear with no explanations.

4. leonard_e36

leonard_e36 Member

i received an email that the drift days at snetterton were canceled. they seem to freak out when the track gets little bit dirty :)

5. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

there were lots of offs at the last one and i think two wheels fell off

6. Andrex

Andrex Member

Yeah the last time I was there they weren't happy with people coming off the track, it was wet though and track became an ice rink. They threatend then to cancel the rest of the day if people couldn't stay on.

I hope this isn't the last of it though.

7. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Another one bites the dust by the sounds of it. :(

8. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

i was kicked off twice for 'mistaken identity, first time they thought i was drifting in the no drift zone and second time they thought i was recording on a mobile phone. The track used to be more fun

9. Gazelle

That would be SHIT!!!

Snetterton is a really decent track/venue and run really well

10. leonard_e36

leonard_e36 Member

To be honest even that some people get off the track i had the best seat time compared with other tracks. and to be honest ... its not a pro drift day , you can expect people making mistakes , haven't been bothered by other drivers at all , compared to lydden where people constantly going slow way before corners even in intermediars group ...
    Shame they canceled it , track owners or organisers were way too picky , sometimes i felt guilty for laying down so much rubber on the precious asphalt :).

11. Gazelle

Whats a "pro" drift day??

12. leonard_e36

leonard_e36 Member

i meant a competition ( bdc , drift outlaws, odc etc)

13. _shaun_

_shaun_ Member

Shame. I was just looking to book the next one.

14. pecs

pecs Member

Has Oulton Park cancelled there drift day as well?

15. Richy84

Richy84 Member

Will be gutted if they stop.
    Best track EVER!

16. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

This is a shame but not entirely surprising. When I went along to the early ones it was well run and there were basically no restrictions. From experience tracks with few or no restrictions tend to find very quickly that if there's one group who'll take the piss it's the drifters. This leads to the introduction of rules, drifters get pissed off because we're easily offended and it's our God-given right to destroy a track's grass/barriers/reputation-with-the-locals (delete as appropriate) and so some people turn up and deliberately break the rules (not all, but a large enough minority to fuck it up for the rest). This then leads to the track deciding that the last thing they need is the hassle of making minimal money catering to the drift community, because we're all a bunch of piss-takers, and then that's the game.

At some point we'll become a bit more self-policing and rather than rewarding guys who push too hard with no control by telling them that they're awesome and it's not their fault for massively over-stepping what they're capable of because they're 'learning' and that makes everything totally okay. At that point, after a while, we'll get some tracks back. Until then you can expect to continue to lose tracks that were fucking great, you can expect the few places we do still have to put MASSIVE, solid, and sometimes dangerous obstacles in the areas where you'd actually like some run off (I'm looking at you, Lydden Hill), and you can expect to have new tracks to continue to refuse to host drift events. Track owners talk. There aren't that many of them across the country really and we've got a reputation.

The MOST irritating part of all of this is we still seem to do this despite the fact that, so far, I've yet to see a single drift day offered at a proper track that's been the same price as a 'normal' track day there in almost a decade of being involved. Snetterton was the closest but their full track days are £180 still. How stupid is that? We do all of the above despite getting a better deal than the guys who are less hassle to host!

17. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

snetterton whole track maybe £180 but that would be on the full circuit, so the £120 or whatever it was to drive the 100 circuit which is basically 5 corners is not super value for money.
    im sure most would happily front the extra £60.

anyway its irrelevant now.

18. rob0r

rob0r Member

I'm gutted by this, I had pretty much built my latest car with Snetterton in mind. Open pit lane, circuit drifting at a very reasonable cost with loads of SEAT TIME with days on weekends. I'd like to show my gratitude to those who have ruined this on our behalf...

19. Talon

Talon Member

Yeah gutted about this. Was fantastic for drifting. Very well organised a professional drift day ruined by idiots. Unfortunately drifting attracts some knobheads.

20. ROVER GAZ

ROVER GAZ Member

This actually makes all those high powered mental drift cars worth less in the UK because we're fast running out of big decent affordable tracks .... Did the 100 circuit in my R33 few years ago .... Best circuit in the UK buy far ... Ok all buy camper vans and off to drift land we gooooo !!