Drift practice in NE London

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by madein, Aug 23, 2016.

1. madein

madein New Member

Guys,

I'm new to drifting and getting my MX5 ready and planning to do the Essex Arena on 31.08, but as new to it, I'd like to ask, if there is any place or carpark around NE London where you can practice before I go?

2. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Member

Any car park you like pal, just don't crash and/or get caught!..

Seriously though, there are no car parks you can legally drift in and I highly doubt, even if someone did know of a cheeky spot, anyone here would recommend a location for you to practice...

3. cheekybabe96

cheekybabe96 New Member

Just a warning if drifting Essex Arena prepare for damage, its an banger racing track so you can imagine how your car is going to look by the end of the day, just a heads up, all fun and games though. Good luck in finding your car park remember at your own risk, don't get caught in the act!

4. madein

madein New Member

I was afraid of that answer :cry:

Is it really that bad?

There is probably nothing else around here?

Thank you guys for the answer.

In case I'm caught, it is going to be recless driving and few points or what I can expect?

5. cheekybabe96

cheekybabe96 New Member

I have been to a few King of the Ring drifting events that have been at Essex Raceway and alot ofcars by the end of the night are battered. The walls are solid concrete, I am no expert but I would say you will need to be willing to accept damage may come by taking an mx5 there. You are bound to get drift scars to say the least. However the track looks easy to initiate a drift and I know a few people have started to learn to drift there, so its at your own risk but looks hell of fun (I'm no expert, only going on observation). In terms of getting caught drifting on the road, I'm no expert but depending on the area I have heard things from people having their licenses taken away from them to 3 points on your license. I'm sure someone else can assist me on this one.

6. cheekybabe96

cheekybabe96 New Member

Just to add I highly recommend signing up for the DWYB days at Santa Pod, there is a few 'playpens' that allow you to get a feel for your car, do a few doughnuts and figure of 8's. I think this is the best way to go in teaching yourself how to drift (just my opinion).

7. madein

madein New Member

Thanks mate, I'm counting with some small scars and hopefully it is not going to be something big.

I know, been there, watch them it looks so easy till you trying yourself.

Santa Pod seems to be not doing anything till October and it is fully booked until November and it is on Wednesdays, which I usually work, whilst the Essex Arena is on evenings, suits me better and it is bit closer as well.

8. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Member

Yea, Pod is frustrating how it's on a Wednesday and is always booked up way in advance...

Have you looked at Skid Risk in Birmingham?... They do events pretty much monthly which are on Sundays and don't cost too much. Although the main arena does also have a good few walls (run off looks a little bigger than KOTR?), they do also have a play pen there.

I've not been yet, but intend to go once my bloody tow vehicle is ready!..

9. madein

madein New Member

Funny enough, their post appear just next to mine.

I have sent email if they have any space left, but looking at the facebook video, it looks very similar to Essex Arena

10. blazingburger

blazingburger Member

Norfolk arena is a good one too. It's like Essex arena but there's a big dirt run off area before the barriers so it's a lot more forgiving. Plus it's only 40 for the day with cheap tire changing and free tyres!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

11. madein

madein New Member

sounds really good, I will try this

thank you

12. blazingburger

blazingburger Member

No worries man. I'll be heading to the next one so hopefully see you out there my Mx5 brother!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

13. madein

madein New Member

that would be really nice

Looks like the next one is 08.10.
    but I didn't find way to book it