Line Lock

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Johnathan, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Johnathan

Johnathan Member

I have seen these about somewhere, but cant remember where ...

Its a little device that goes and interupts the front brake lines on your RWD motor, meaning you can lock up the fronts, and melt your tyres at the back ..

Not sure when there would be a decent application for it, except for showing off and making lots of smoke, so that will do for now.

Are they available, where are they available, how much are they ??

2. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

what most people do is ride the brakes (toe and heal) so you can stay on the spot and do massive crowd pleasing burnouts :)

The only reason i would fit one for is a type of handbrake if i had a fly off handbrake ect or if i was doing burn outs with my left foot while hanging out the door waving to the crowd yo :)

Ask Driftworks Shop if they can get it, if not some rally type place will do them, try rallynuts.com

3. Johnathan

Johnathan Member

great stuff, thanks

4. superclarkey

5. Oppositlockollie

Oppositlockollie Active Member

its just a shut off valve mate as you would find round the house, like ones on water pipes!!

Wicks b&q are cheap!! have some laying around at work i believe!! ;)

6. superclarkey

yeah sorry ididn't explain what it was lol,

Its as Oppositlockoille says, you press pedal down and then lock the valve off that would ine the the front lines and it don't let the brakes let off. its the better way of doing burnouts i guess but you can't really do nice long snow rolling burnouts this way

more for drag cars ect

7. Johnathan

Johnathan Member

yeah thats what i thought, so you can press the brakes activate the lock, and and keep the front wheels locked while you make smoke ... especially for those still learning to heel and toe properly ..

It seems a lot of drag cars use them, which is not what i'm into, but it might be the place to find them

8. superclarkey

yeah for sure :)

its as you say just like not letting the fluid return from the calipers so its like keeping you foot down hard on the brakes.

When i had my first RWD car i used to pop the clutch in first then quickly jump onto the brakes with my left foot, was a bit sketchy at first but i start heal and toeing more and found the easyest way was to just stay on the brakes all the time very softly, means you can do slow donuts and stuff :)

useful to learn none the less :)

clarkey.

9. eight-six

eight-six Active Member

If your after a line lock then try

www.jegs.com
    www.summitracing.com

Or do a google search for UK based speed shops. However on past hunts I have found that the UK based drag shops hardly stock anything and just take your order, buy from the US (Jegs / Summit) and then charge you more!

A line lock is commonly used in drag racing, depending on your brake system set up you may actually need 2.

Cheers

James

10. superclarkey

That you AE86, looks pimp :)

11. Johnathan

Johnathan Member

ah right, interesting, thanks very much

not sure on my brake set up (E36 320), but i'll have a quick look shortly. Are you meaning that they may just control one line at a time?

12. superclarkey

The problem is, you have ABS on your car so its not so simple ect. you would have to most likey have two to block off each wheel inderpendtly ect

13. Johnathan

Johnathan Member

i see what you mean now, forgot about the ABS ...

Could do it down near the wheels then, one on each side, wired up together. Either that or get some mates to just clamp the flexi pipes for me with some vise grips .. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

:dw:

14. superclarkey

The way i would do it is to interupt the two lines coming out of the ABS unit under the bonnet, there will be one marked FR and FL or something close to that, so you need to have one in each line,

or extend the lines into the drivers area and just fit two line stoppers ect so you can control them both from there.

clarkey.

15. Johnathan

Johnathan Member

right, better find some now then

cheers guys

16. eight-six

eight-six Active Member

TBH mate I honestly cant remember, it was a few years ago now. I looked into it for my MR2 Turbo (when I used to drag it) and it turned out a right balls ache needing two line locks due to the modern brake system and the ABS or some such bollocks. :smash:

Once I new it was going to be a fuss, I decided I couldnt be bothered and I just resorted to holding it on the brake whilst warming the tires - Cheaper and easier :D

I dont know what the brake system is like on the E36 but you may find someone with more knowledge of your application. A line lock is only about £30 notes but TBH for the amount of time you may use it its probably not worth the hassle. :no:

It is Feller - its currently sailing the Seven Seas at the moment on its way to sunny England. :D

17. Johnathan

Johnathan Member

fair point, might be a case of just learning to heel and toe then ..

18. superclarkey

clarkey. climes into his little rubber dingy witha rocket laurcher and goes AE86 hunting :)

Loving them archs, looks so cool :)

19. Oppositlockollie

Oppositlockollie Active Member

looked kinda like a RS500 at a mega quick glance.

you would need to run the pipe work in to the car as they are lever type valves you could link them together so they are a bit like the throttle of a plane, or have them working independantly locking each wheel for much pimpness!!

20. superclarkey

yeah thats what i was thinkging, one wheel lock up that would do cool burn outs :)