Sr n/a drift

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Davie, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Davie

Davie Member

After getting used to drifting turbo cars over the past few years
    Iv ended up with a na ps13 as my daily,i will turbo it at some stage

It's standard in every form apart from 1.5way diff and tein extra lock
    Iv got coilovers and a full alignment kit coming

I'm struggling to get the hang of low power drifting and admire people who can drift such underpowered cars and want to get the hang of it

So Just wondering if there is any mods I can do to help
    Different alignment setting compared to a more powerful setup etc?
    Iv been messing with tyre pressures and tyre sizes, where as I never felt the need to pay as much attention to this on my turbo'd cars, I find the small things help

Any comments appreciated

2. Davie

Davie Member

Here's a pic for those interested
    [​IMG]

3. MrNick

MrNick I love Ibiza!

learn to RAIN DANCE:D

4. Roachey

Roachey Viper 300c

Waste of time, i pulled the N/A sr from my s15 and put the RB into it. I did try just to see what like and the SR really isnt worth it. Hated the engine anyway so more the reason to pull it.

5. wadey1989

wadey1989 Member

get a decent clutch and kick it to hell and back or throw it in with your foot down... thats what have to do in the eunos 1.6 :s

6. big fat nick

big fat nick smells

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d9wkaZQnMM]YouTube - Summer Drift Matsuri 2009 - Raw footage of Luke Fink[/ame] i believe this was an NA car, just a little inspiration for you :)

7. Davie

Davie Member

Lol well that's fink, class vid, missile ftw

Might upgrade the clutch alrity

8. jonofd3

jonofd3 Active Member

You should be able to drift that with out too much of an issue! Drifting underpowerd cars is alot harder than when you have masses under the foot, and it improves the way you do things :) run a smaller rear tyre (about 185-195) and set the pressures high on the rear.... about 45-50psi and the fronts as you would for best grip on the road, get a hydro in there and give it man foot after you pull the bar ;) works for us and we only have 100hp in about a 1500kg truck!!

But having said that we have now turbocharged the engine to make things better :)
    Jono

9. Muppet

Muppet Member

just clutch kick the fuck out of it :D or flick the steering wheel like it will save your live!
    All in the wet offcourse :p

10. eastley

eastley Member

I had this engine in a 14 I had and a hard job gettin it out, once i mastered it I was keeping up with my mate in an rx7!! like in previous posts it will go out and stay out if you clutch kick it at high revs :)

JUST GIVE IT HELL and try and hold it

Cheers
    Ryan

11. Dori Mat

Dori Mat Active Member

what power is an sr20de ?

12. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

146bhp if i recall, my 180sx N/A was fine, just pulled the rear tyre pressure up and went for it, just have to use speed and the weight of the car, you couldn't manji up the strait but it was fine.

Personally i would save all your money up and just get a turbo engine for it, even in stock format its better then the N/A.

The problem with silvia N/a is they are heavy cars, with heavy N/a engines.. sr is no lightwieght.

Clarkey.

13. Dori Mat

Dori Mat Active Member

has anyone ever built a decent NA SR on carbs ?

14. chunk

chunk Raging Alcoholic

Chap on here called Tim has a s14 Silvia NA, we did some work on it, coilovers, welded R180 diff, extra lock etc and that thing rocks at Santa pod, i've never drifted it, but took it on a road test and really shocked me on how nippy it was, so just stick 195/205 section rear tyres on with 40ish psi, it'll be great. It'll also sound so much nicer that a det. If not, sell it to me :)

15. cefiro_drifta

cefiro_drifta Mad pointing Munky

150 bhp is enough to skid with, Just have to go in faster and more aggressively. I used to go 4/5 up in my 525i ( 190 bhp but lots more weight ) but admittedly i would run 50-60 psi in the rear all the time. Also stiffen up the rear to take some traction away

Basically you go in faster, use momentum and come out the corner a lil slower

turbo u go in slower and come out faster, relying on the pwoer

16. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

looks nice man. if lack of power is annoying you ive got a s13 you can swap with ; )

17. yassa

yassa Member

my s14 na was fine, just strip it out, 60 psi in 195's on 15s and youll be fine.

18. cefiro_drifta

cefiro_drifta Mad pointing Munky

I had a ps13 NA with cams and some otehr work, had about 180bhp and it was awesome. Gave a few stock s14's a shock and was very very responsive. Brad " token " McQueen has it now

19. Mr Doricar

Mr Doricar JDM Loose yo

[​IMG]

A friend of mine drifts one. He has a manifold and exhaust, welded diff, coilovers and only runs on 15s and it drifts nicely. Just make sure your engine is sweet. Get it timed, make sure plugs are gapped properly, make sure throttle is 100% etc etc. 10bhp will be noticable so make sure the engine is running perfectly

20. Davie

Davie Member

Cheers for all the feed back lads
    I have a 180sx shell there and a 14 coming but wanna stick with the n/a on this for a while to learn the different type of drifting,

The car was running 205's on different wheels but I got the ssr's last week and put 175's on them so I'll bump up the pressure

As for the hydro iv a r32 brake setup here but highly doubt I'll run them because I wanna stick with 15's, so what's the stock brake setup like with a hydro and pads

I found with the 205's I was gathering massive speed cause of the grip and ended up pretty much driving out of the slides at high speed,

N/a drifting just dosnt look as elegant as massive power but as I said wanna master the ford model t power I'm running,

I'm gunn a service the engine and get an exhaust on to get the air moving
    Cheers for the info