Anyone drifting an E46 Touring (estate) regularly?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by nickward, Jan 17, 2013.

1. nickward

nickward Member

Just want to know opinions really, I sometimes need the extra space, and I cant justify an occasional drift car plus a daily.

I had an e36 coupe recently and want to go up to an e46, but was wondering if you really feel the extra weight out back with the touring?

Thanks everyone!

2. bell

bell Without patience

personally i felt the wieght in my touring all the way to the point where i binned it big at wheels. im sure you could remove certain stuff to make it better though.

3. nickward

nickward Member

Is it just overly heavy or is there quite an unpredictable weight transfer?

4. bell

bell Without patience

there predictable as an e36 so not completely different in a touring form i just felt i knew the wieght was there. it did to me feel like the back would try and come round more than my coupe or my saloon.

5. PhillE30

PhillE30 Member

I know mine is slightly older but unless your doing a direct jump in a coupe and then into a touring I doubt you will notice any sort of difference

6. nickward

nickward Member

Ahh right okay. was you running stock suspension or aftermarket/coilovers?

7. nickward

nickward Member

Cheers mate, no I got rid of the e36, then had a diesel focus, now have a diesel seat ibiza fr, so pretty different cars really...

8. bell

bell Without patience

5 series bilsteins on the back end coupled to some heavy duty springs, enough to make the car jump up in the air on the back end when it went over surface changes at high speed. i also had a full interior.
    but as pointed out if your not going from one to another you probably wont notice, id definatly test drive one before you get buying one. i also had a 46 saloon and the steering was fricking awful compared to a 36 again test driving one will confirm whether you like the car dude.

9. angrydan

angrydan raaage

local lad to me has one running full m3 engine etc and full interior slammed on sone hsd's and that goes and slides real well

10. AndyS3

AndyS3 Member

love the sound of this is it on here?

11. therealstig

therealstig Member

I went from an e36 325 saloon to an e36 tourer then an e46 325 tourer, you can feel that theres a little extra weight higher up at the rear but it's so minimal I wouldn't worry, I think it's a damn fine car, handling and balance are very good/predictable, steerings a little numb but all modern BMW's are like that, buy one now.

12. charlieog1243

charlieog1243 Member

i also would like to see this!

13. DavidBlack

DavidBlack New Member

Indeed seat ibiza is a great car. What colour and design do you have specifically?

14. Dirk Jan

Dirk Jan Member

Why are all your fucking posts on this forum so far about Seat's?

15. B3AM3R

B3AM3R Member

sorry.

#15 B3AM3R, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  16. Rustyb

Rustyb Member

My mate has an m3 46 touring which skids well! But don't know how they are standard form engine wise. Think he used it as a 320 for a while though

17. B3AM3R

B3AM3R Member

There is no Problem with an 3 Series estate since ever.
    It's just a little bit heavier but that's it. Coupe is heavier than the sedan, nobody cares about that as well. Weight Distribution is always near 50:50 and it's still a BMW.
    And I would say the length and the slightly longer (5mm) wheelbase makes drifting even easier.
    It just looks a bit strange seeing a family estate sideways. From inside you won't notice as said.