drift days, places to learn etc?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Nickson-Msport, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Nickson-Msport

Nickson-Msport Active Member

what options are there atm for drift days and learning to drift etc? how many circuit drift days are there and where, and other options other than pod. im in south east btw!

thinking about getting a drift car, just wanted to see how many options there are these days to go drift for fun.

cheers
    nick :thumbs:

2. Clive

Clive Active Member

Pod or Lydden.

IMO do a pod day first.. Others will disagree...

3. Nickson-Msport

still pretty limited for choices. its the one thing that has held me back from getting a drift car, have done lots of grip trackdays and this appealed to me more due to the large amount of circuits etc. i want to do some drifting, but im pretty sure i will get bored of one track and one carpark! is that literally it?

4. Nickson-Msport

also thoughts on E46 m3 as a base for a drift car to slowly build up.

5. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Pod, Lydden, Pembrey, Brum, Buxton, drift land, Snetterton, Norfolk, etc etc

Loads of places pretty regular.

And drifting isn't like track days, you don't get bored of the same track easy. Esp as will take a fair few days for you to be drifting at a remotely decent level anyhow.

6. grahamc

grahamc Member

Im in a similar location and struggling with the learning aspect. I dont quite have the confidence to go out by myself on the SantaPod days, so trying to do a day of instruction or similar where I have a little more chance to learn and make mistakes. Rather difficult to find...... after that, I have no idea where I am going to practise in my own car. SantaPod is a fair way...

7. mint

mint touch my fruit

You gotta pay to play. Not uncommon to hear of some Scottish lads driving 7/8 hours each way to get to events. People down south moan about having to drive 2 hours to an event LMAO. (as an example).

Teesside for me was like 6/7 hours each way.. So, just get on with it. Plenty tracks, hell drive up to crail and practice on the oval like many southern guys do, £10 to get in, £5 to drift for a day on the oval. I had like 8 or 9 runs, not bad for the money tbh. Tie that in with a driftland experience day (Where you can be taught by Jeek and Kyle etc) and you have a full weekend of drifting, on the cheapest track in the UK (Crail) and also the best track in the UK for drifting (Driftland).

No brainer really. Sure you cant do that all the time however it would be enough to get some basics under your belt and boost that confidence to get out on closer tracks.

#7 mint, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  8. grahamc

grahamc Member

Come down and spend an hour on the m25....... A 6 hour drive in Scotland is a pleasure, 1 hour drive around London is a PITA!!!

I dont mind the £££ cost, I dont like wasting time ;)

9. mint

mint touch my fruit

Why drive around London then? Iv driven to London loads now, it was only ever a hassle when I got lost, IN london.. thats a piss poor excuse tbh hahaha :D , why would you be leaving to join the m25 when you KNOW there will be traffic???? Anyway my point still stands.. :D

Plenty of places to drift, if you can be bothered driving for it. If you cant then what do you expect? Drift events dont ever just land on your lap. :)

#9 mint, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  10. rd-jon

rd-jon Member

Unless you live in Fife... :thumbs:

11. mint

mint touch my fruit

Douche bag :p

(just mega jealous)

However even 4/5 hour round trip is nothing, considering how perfect that track really is.

12. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

They do tuition at Bovington all the time, and that's not far from London

13. rd-jon

rd-jon Member

It's 2 hours for me to get to Driftland, and between 2 and 3 to get to Fife. 3 hours to Teesside. That's each way. I wish I lived closer lol

14. docwra

docwra Active Member

This has come up before on SXOC, if you are driving anywhere in Southern England for more than an hour you hit London, or at least the M25, M1, M3, M4 or A14 some other hateful road, you cant avoid it. Everyone knows that if you get off the M25 without being held up for at least 1/2 hour its a result, regardless of time or day of the week, but its still quicker than driving through 50 miles of greater London.

Its not like up your way, all empty mountain roads and caber tossing etcs. you know ;)

15. NikH

NikH Member

I'd say for your first few times out in the car go to either norfolk or pod.. they are quite wide and you can learn the car and how to handle it better then move on to lydden hill and some of the other faster tracks. The last thing you want to do is hit a fast track straight away and squish your car when you hit a wall etc...

takes me (all in with leaving my house to get the car, load up etc) around 4 hours to get to norfolk. I live in london but have to out to essex to get the car and load up then drive up there. Worth every second of it once you get out there in the car.. doesn't matter how long its taken you to get there

16. silverzx

silverzx Member

Bit of a hijack but where's good for learning near the West Country (Sonerset based)? ;)

17. mint

mint touch my fruit

:D Our roads have traffic 2 times a day here. So if you head out for 7/8/9 your in traffic, some for 4/5, anything between those times and the roads are totally empty, I rarely see another car on my drive to work every day infact, over 25 miles. However.. there is alot of people down that way I guess :p Lot more than here ;)

18. grahamc

grahamc Member

Thats the one I am looking at now.... The issue is 1h 15 drive in rush hour to get there on time, so may spend the night there, but definitely on the list. Good place to learn?

Exactly!

I once left my office at 2300 and was to avoid a major traffic jam on the M25!!!! On ramp was just ahead of the accident..... clear road for me on that occassion.

19. Reese913

Reese913 Member

Thank god Germany has loads of random abandon parking lots in the middle of forest haha

20. t3nhp

t3nhp Member

Quote"Thats the one I am looking at now.... The issue is 1h 15 drive in rush hour to get there on time, so may spend the night there, but definitely on the list. Good place to learn?"
    I used andys drift school at bovingdon and I live in greater South London hour and a half drive easy to find, tutors are awesome all pro and super pro drivers! From memory it's not far from jct 20. Did the £60 half day and thought it was good value really and a nice confidence building exercise!