How easy can compacts be made to drift?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by jakemk2, Oct 3, 2014.

1. jakemk2

jakemk2 Member

I am looking to get into drifting. But having the problem of massively expensive insurance so I am limited to what I can get. I've got my heart set on a BMW Compact. Purely through the expensive insurance I am limited to getting the 318ti.

I was just wondering how easy it would be made to drift and how much work it will likely to be to make one skid.

Cheers,
    Jake

2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Get the diff welded and get out there.

Presumably it's not an auto?

3. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

It's a RWD BMW, of course it'll drift.
    There's loads of them, check the project section.

4. jakemk2

jakemk2 Member

I know it will drift, and most compacts i've noticed are the 2.5's, so i wasn't sure if the 2.0 would be underpowered.
    I was just wondering if it was a good starter car and whether much would need doing. I understand the diff is pretty essential but could standard suspension do for about a month? or will that be pretty difficult without coilovers.

Also is it easy to find a garage that will weld the diff? Just because I don't know anybody with a welder.

- - - Updated - - -

No definatly not haha, autos don't appeal to me in anyway.
    Can't imagine you could drift with one anyway.

5. StanceChild7

StanceChild7 Member

You can drift with standard suspension are better, could always chop them, but not too sure

6. bell

bell Without patience

e36 318ti is a 1.8 16valve and loves to scream. the 2.0's from bmw are usually gutless, more gutless than a 1.6 sohc. my misses compact slides about in the wet with a 1.6 in it lol

7. jakemk2

jakemk2 Member

I wouldn't be able to get an e36, they would cost me an extra grand a year than an e46 compact.
    The 318ti had a 2.0 and about 145 bhp, I think it would be enough to get the arse out!
    I have a very limited choice only being 19 :(

8. icebluesmx5

icebluesmx5 Member

I've just built a 318ti compact 1.9 140bhp drifts well but needs extra steering lock due to not having excessive power.

9. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Will drift, use the smallest wheels that fit on with the lowest profile tyres and plenty of psi to keep the wheels spinning faster. :)

10. spaniel

spaniel bigballs small brain

1.8ti's rev really quick. As said weld, small tyres lots of air in tyres will teach you more than just having power. Spend £15 on rack spacers and your sorted

11. jakemk2

jakemk2 Member

Thanks guys,
    This was a lot of help! I am going to look at a few next week!

Also as I said in the original post will most garages be able to weld the diff?

12. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Less power generally means you want to be using less lock, not more, as being on much lock slows you down.

13. OllieEN

OllieEN Member

Most garages will do welding, check out MOT places as they tend to have welding equipment for MOTs anyway.
    Go for an E36 318 rather than an E46, might be more on insurance but cheaper parts, cheaper cars and lighter which will make up for it. Interiors of the 36/46 are basically identical anyway

14. jakemk2

jakemk2 Member

I have noticed though that e36 318's only have 105bhp, I just never really thought that it would be enough??

15. bounty`

bounty` Member

Mine has an M50 2.5 so obviously a bit different to what you'll be in, but Im running stock suspension and lock atm, rack spacers would easily give you enough lock to get you out of trouble to begin with. Stock suspension is ok, but a bit boaty, I'd probably just go coilovers, I got my brand new FK's for £150 from ebay.

A day at Santa Pod will probably help you no end too

16. jakemk2

jakemk2 Member

17. spaniel

spaniel bigballs small brain

Yeah but they sell out well in advance.

18. jakemk2

jakemk2 Member

Does anyone know where I can get Some cheap Rack spacers? I can't seem to find any for an e36 coompact

19. GreyDesigns

GreyDesigns Member

Should be fine to get you started, I would say get some decent tyres on the front and over inflate the rear like crazy. I had a go in my friends 318 on his first drift day, but what really let it down was not having that grip on the front to throw it in at high speed. Other than that, it seemed fine. :)

20. B3AM3R

B3AM3R Member

you can use any e36 parts. In a Compakt just the rear axle is different, the front is similar.