New to drifting +++++++++++++++HELP++++++++++++++++

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by DanBC, Dec 17, 2014.

1. DanBC

DanBC New Member

Just bought my first drift car, and pretty new to it all. ive got a mk1 92 mx5 and need some tips on diffs etc? what can you tell em

2. mint

mint touch my fruit

What do you wanna know?

All the info is on this forum to read through, Its info that asked alot and almost every week or so just so you know.

What MX did you get? Is it an Eunos or a UK one? 1.6 or 1.8?

3. DanBC

DanBC New Member

its a 1.6 115bhp uk mx5. To be honest its pretty standard, well other that the hand painted black wheels it has!!!!lol
    done a full service on it, and having it lowered at the end of the month. Its purely a weekend / track toy so would a welded diff do or will it drive me mad?

4. Ollie

Ollie LOOSE!

If you're only using it as a weekend / track toy then how will a welder drive you mad? I don't know about the spec and trim levels of the mx5s, but if you find out its one with a torsen diff you'll probably be fine. If you try a bit of drifting and get the bug (not sure how you won't) - then you could get a welder. If its got some other open diff address this asap.

Most important thing for your development is going to be technique before any car modifications. If you're totally new to it all get used to whats required to kick the back end out avoiding understeer. Having spent a fair amount of time in standard spec mx5s with drivers of varying ability, knowing when and how to be aggressive is the key. These cars respond really well to weight shift, speed and commitment, so use it.

5. DanBC

DanBC New Member

Well that's what I was thinking!! I do Have an everyday driver but I'm finding that I'm driving it more and more as I just love it!!! How can I find out what sort of diff is in it? As I have basic knowledge but identifying diffs isn't something I can do just yet. Give me a week ;-) also would springs be a bad thing to do on the car or would you suggest coilovers all the way? Cheers for you help dude!!

6. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

If it's a UK 1.6, it's not a Torsen simple.

MX5- Drivers bucket seat. Welded diff. Whatever suspension. May as well chuck a set of hubs on it as they're only just over 100quid. Done. Don't touch the engine/exhaust/whatever as it's a waste of money.

Can happily do 3rd in the dry with the above, no need for more, just learn to drive it and you'll out-drift most 'better' drift cars as the owners suck ball.

Sold my MX5 fuckabout (the 5th one I've had) the other day to someone who's got a mental caged up FD RX7 and wanted a cheap beater drift car. I told him I find em more fun to drift than most other cars I've had even with 5 times the power, but he didn't expect it to be anything special, but soon changed his tune.
    The car had what I always tend to do- Any old coilovers (cheapy ebay ones, shit but we're talking value for money here), welded diff, drivers bucket seat, and mintfab (£110 new) hubs. Nothing else, untouched engine.

The next morning he sent me this message...

"Fair play dude this mx5 is immense, so much more fun than my rx7. I was out in it till 12 last night, had too stop coz I was just going crazy haha. cheers man fair play"

Do the right mods, save your money by not doing anything else, and drive drive drive. More fun than pretty much anything.

7. DanBC

DanBC New Member

Cheers for that dude!! Well that answer that then. Lol. Although do forgive me being thick, what benefit would I get for changing the Hubs? See I've had it going in 2nd in the dry buy defo not third!!!! That's got to be a hell of an entry speed!! Haha.

8. mint

mint touch my fruit

The hubs will give you loads of lock.. more than you'll ever need.
    Or just stick on a pair of spacers per side.

9. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Modified hubs for more lock

Edit: Mint beat me

#9 BenRice, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  10. DanBC

DanBC New Member

Spacers each sides? Just like normal 10/20mm or something like that?

11. mint

mint touch my fruit

No, as in.. Steering rack spacers.

[​IMG]

12. DanBC

DanBC New Member

Oh with Ya? Are they all you need? They easy to fit?

13. Jites

Jites Active Member

Real easy man, all you have to do is take off your tie rod and place them between the rack and off you.go. Google for a guide but it's piss easy.

Imo get new tie rods and ends while your at it then make sure you get it aligned or your toe will be all over the shop and drive like aids

Welded diffs are great but a torsen if you have one will work fine. Got one in the rx8 and it locks both wheels fine, just not aggressively

14. DanBC

DanBC New Member

Well I'll be investing in some of them then?!! They bout £100 for a set? Can you buy Torsen diffs off the shelf and does it work like an lsd?

15. mint

mint touch my fruit

A Torsen is a Diff. Its fine for drifting IMO. Especially if your new. Get one off a 1.8 Eunos more than likely.

Rack spacers cost pennys, Hubs cost like £100. Which tbh isnt that bad. :)

16. status unknown

ive got dori professor front hubs, and rack spacers(i sell them) such a good car to drive, much prefer it to my old s13.

17. jakehorney29

jakehorney29 New Member

I can get a 318 bmw for cheap will a 1.8 even drift ?
    Of course
    Weld diff ? Decat ?

18. mint

mint touch my fruit

Dont bother with a decat :S just weld the diff.. get some lock mods and abuse it. Anything RWD (pretty much) will drift.

19. jakehorney29

jakehorney29 New Member

So a 318 will be fine ? Buxton is closest track for me ? It should do Buxton shouldn't it ?