Advice needed. S13 spinning on transition. Geometry / set up?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by GethinD, Dec 18, 2014.

1. GethinD

GethinD [][][][][][][][][][]

Advice needed.

After attending a drift day in my recently acquired S13 i found i was struggling with the car always wanting to spin out when transitioning.
    I've never suffered with this before and having not drifted S13's before (drifted R32's previously) i wondered if it was down to wheelbase but apparently the R32 is 2615mm and the S13 is 2474mm so I doubt the 141mm difference is to blame!

The car itself is relatively stock apart from some coilovers and a welded diff.

I really need to sort this, it gives me no confidence in the car as it feels unpredictable and as though it will bite me in the ass at any moment which is not only ruining it for me but I'm sure for anyone trying to follow!

1 thing that has just popped in my head . . . . . I completely forgot to adjust the tyre pressures so it might be a case of me running the wrong pressures . . . . . . . .

This is not a road car, purely a drift car so either way, any advice on set up / arms / geometry would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Make sure the tyre pressures are equal, check the geo if you really worried, but overall, just learn to drive it.

Maybe its the years now of drifting any old junk, but S13s and R32s are both piece of piss to drift compared to most cars, just get used to it IMO.

3. VVTiSupra

VVTiSupra Member

Rear toe will effect the rotation of the car. Rear toe in will make you loop out faster. Also I don't like welded diffs. It's cheap and it drifts better but they are terrible compared to a proper limited slip. That's just my opinion. Yes, learn to drive it. Get more practice. Maybe try a good e brake setup.

4. CBRParr

CBRParr Active Member

In some of the older dirtier S13s I've driven they can take a little bit more convincing on the steering to get that first bit of opposite lock going. As above, check the tyre pressures and the rear toe

5. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

just practice. even if it has the worst alignment set up in the world, there is only one thing that makes a car spin and its the person holding the wheel. Alignment helps a lot but it doesnt make you spin. You just need to learn how to drive that particular car. Once youve got it, then start looking at improving it.

6. ElTorro

ElTorro Commie bastard

You should check pressures of course, then check your rear camber/toe.

Otherwise initial_j is spot on.

7. GethinD

Okay guys, thanks for the advice.

Next time i'll have a play with the pressures and keep practicing.
    Just felt weird as with the 32 i could put the least input into the car and it would happily transition / manji even when going from lock to lock whereas i have to work my ass off in the 13!

No worries, thanks for the advice, I'll keep at it.

8. Mattyboi

Mattyboi Active Member

Its tyre pressures being to high I guarantee it. Also as InitialJ said, practice.

9. Adam.

Adam. Member

I've driven some super ropey cars including S13's and you just learn to deal with any issues the car might have. Just keep at it

10. Ollie

Ollie LOOSE!

by work your ass off do you mean make more steering inputs? You haven't really given any insight into whats happening other than its spinning. Is it whipping round on you too fast when you lift for transition?

When you say that you had to do very little in your 32 are you meaning the castor action worked really well for you and all you did was lift / put foot down to transition?

probably 90% new car learning.

11. GethinD

Exactly that Ollie!
    The S13 whipped round so quickly that I was struggling to catch it regardless of what input i have with steering / throttle / brake etc whereas the 32 only needed a simple on / off with the throttle and catching the steering wheel as and when required.
    From the feedback I've had so far i think a good day of playing with pressures and learning / adjusting my ways to the car is required.

12. docwra

docwra Active Member

I had +9 degrees rear toe on one side due to a bent lower arm once, that was a bit of a challenge.

13. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

dip the clutch when transitioning?