E36 Compact vs coupe?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Tailslider, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Tailslider

Tailslider Member

Just wanting some peoples opinions.. I currently have an r33 which is being built for this years drift cup and want to get a beater for my daily drive that I can take to practice days and not worry about breaking/smashing it up.. so im thinking on an e36 again, never drifted a compact but heard good things about them! just wondering what peoples opinions are on which is better to drift out of a coupe or a compact? (will end up throwing a 6pot in a compact if I get one) tried searching but cant find anything relating to this.. any help would be appreciated :)

Cheers!

2. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Compacts are lighter, but have a shit rear end.

In reality, does it matter for your "beater", not really.
    Just get whatever is best/cheapest.

3. Tailslider

Tailslider Member

Thanks, yeah i'm aware of the weight difference/rear end setup.. and well I figured if I have the choice to buy either then it makes sense to get the better of the two rather than just buy one over the other because its a few quid cheaper.. i'm still going to spec it up to a decent setup as I want it to skid nice.. but the way I look at it is the shells are pennies to replace hence not minding if I smash it up a bit :)

4. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

Compact. Because they look cool. :D

5. James998

James998 Member

I'd say coupe as there are 15.6 million decently specced 'normal' E36's (not compact with different rear end setup) breaking for bits so getting spares I imagine will be easier.

6. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Cheaper to polybush a compact.
    And small case diffs are fun.

7. B3AM3R

B3AM3R Member

The compakt is a bit more tailhappy. It's a bit more like an E30 and it's lighter than a coupe. (even the sedan is lighter than the coupe)
    The coupe sticks a bit better to the road. Otherwise its longer, so you have a bit more time to react.
    They're both fun. Just try a Compakt, a 323ti probably, there faster than the number 323 makes you expect, thanks to the M52. ;)
    [​IMG]

8. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

They ain't longer.

9. 340mike

340mike Member

I love my compact.
    I think it's awesome.
    Got more than enough power if you have balls.....

10. deadcluch

deadcluch Member

Compact! Give a look at my build in build section of the forum!

11. doughnutter

doughnutter Member

Same wheel base as a coupe.

Compacts are the better choice in my opinion, better power to weight which is what its all about lol, cheaper to buy and seeing as they all have seem to have shagged subframe bushes at the back as standard its no big deal to put some subframe raising bushes in and get a bit more grip out of them. I love my 2.8 compact way more than my coupe. Have to disagree with the styling comments though, a coupe looks better IMO and a well styled 4 door is badass.

12. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

I agree with everything he just said /\/\