Need help for drifting research!

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by fritzkrackers, Feb 25, 2015.

1. fritzkrackers

fritzkrackers Member

Hello folks! i haven't been here for a while but i'm wondering if you could help with something..

My gf is doing her uni dissertation on drifting/drifters and other stuff i don't understand but pretend to for the sake of an easy life and continued sexual relations. Basically what it is is a simple, anonymouse (no email etc), multiple choice questionnaire that'll take 15min max (if you're shit with a mousepad) and will result in a genuine research document which will give ordinary human beings an insight into the huge bollocks you have for kicking out the rear and giving it massive beans for the sake of supreme cool points.

do science a favour and take part! huge thanks in advance on behalf of the future of mankind.

p.s. none of this is a joke so don't hang about, she has to finish this by the end of march and we need about 100 participants!

Follow the link to help and for more info. If there are any problems or questions then either post on here or email Stacey on the web address provided in the link

https://hass.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9p2wzP9fdGE1Mr3

Feel free to post this link anywhere you think might help! Thanks

#1 fritzkrackers, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  2. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

URL doesn't work for me, man :(

3. big_si

big_si Member

4. fritzkrackers

fritzkrackers Member

5. holdawayt

holdawayt Member

Not working dude.

6. fritzkrackers

fritzkrackers Member

Edited the link in the original post too so both should hopefully work. Let me know if there are any problems

7. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Works now.

Gave up at about 30odd after it turned to mostly totally bizarre A or B questions where I didn't remotely agree with either.

It's like it's deliberately fishing for the kinds of answers it wants (It's not like "Do you like Cheese? Yes or No" it's shit like "I hate people who have sex a lot, it's a sin" or "I fucking love swingers, yeah, give me some cock"), so the results will protray the people it's questioning (drifters) in a fucking odd way that is likely totally unrealistic, so I'm out.

In fact, it's like it's been written to make the results blatantly show drifters are all wild crazy drug addled mental case swingers, purely as the 'B' answer is even further from the truth in the total opposite direction that only an old nun would choose.

#7 Stavros, Feb 25, 2015
  8. GethinD

GethinD [][][][][][][][][][]

9. holdawayt

holdawayt Member

Done :) Enjoyed the little conclusion at the end too, nice touch.

10. fritzkrackers

fritzkrackers Member

That bit wasn't written for drifters especially and wasn't written by me at all. Its a previously validated measure of sensation seeking used by many psychologists and used in numerous psychological journals, that I personally have no control over. Its either I use that or make up my own measure of sensation seeking that will, in the end, mean nothing and void my research as it hasnt received the validation that the one I used has gained. It may appear to be loaded or whatever because the options it gives you are limited between the pairings, but once it comes to scoring a measure such as that certain statements are compared against each other for internal validity and in order to create an overall idea of an individuals levels of sensation seeking. Its not as simple as this person scores highly because they chose all B's, its a lot more complex than that. Plus tons of published journals written by the highest level academics or psychologists use this measure, because it is one of the best at assessing sensation seeking. So if its good enough for them, its good enough for me! Its also been used in loads of studies looking at extreme sports participants and has helped to show that the reasons behind them taking part in these sports are nothing to do with sensation seeking or needing a rush, but more to do with mastery and control. That mixed with the other measures I've used show that individuals who take part in extreme sports have an increase in positive personality traits that may be beneficial to them in their life in general. Showing that they are not all adrenaline junkies or risk takers as common perceptions may suggest.

The whole purpose of this research is to show any benefits that drifters may have from taking part in a sport such as this in the same way extreme sports participants benefit . So why would I load it to show the opposite? The title itself 'Drifting away from negative perceptions' means moving away from the negative perceptions associated with sports such as drifting. There are many subtle flaws in your argument that I am trying to make drifters look like freaks, one of them being that I got my man to post this on a drifting forum he has already been a member of for however long. Plus the fact that I am into drifting myself and personally chose this topic to study as it is a topic of interest. So would I really try to make myself an my man out to be some sort of freak also?

but hey! ...... At least you tried :wack:

Anyways, I've said my piece (and in the most polite manner I could) I shall give my man his account back now and would like to thank everyone else and anyone who is still thinking of helping. I really appreciate it. :)

#10 fritzkrackers, Feb 25, 2015
  11. mint

mint touch my fruit

Done, I can see where Stav's coming from.
    Im curious to see the results, however I think I already know the sorta answers your going to get.

People who drift are a certain people, Im not talking about the chavs in BM's on roundabouts but the type who have moved over from another extreme sport (be it skating, or snowboarding or BMX'n etc) are the types that have a very similar mind set, of live life away from most typical comformoties of going to the pub every friday and saturday night and pissing your wages up against a wall.
    You can see this with the time spent on making some truley amazing creations to the drift game, and id go out on a limb here and say that a fair wack of the most epic drifters and drift cars within, have stemed from dudes riding some kind of board, bike and seeking the next level.

Drifting is that next level to me. Its the freestyle snowboarding of the road. The drifting / carving motions sync up well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. smokindrifter

smokindrifter Member

13. fritzkrackers

fritzkrackers Member

hmm.. i can't see stav at all he's so far up on his high horse!

much more like what it's all about. some questions seem mad as a box of frogs but the 'sensation seeking' questions date back to the '70s and have yet to be replaced by a newer, validated, means of measure. it is in NO WAY made up to make drifters out to be drug crazed fucktards! to be honest, making drifters out to be wasters is classed as unethical and wouldn't pass the ethics committee so it would make this a huge waste of time and effort.

massive thanks to anyone who's participated and if you haven't, then do it! it's quick.. totally anonymous so no email etc required.. totally genuine.. totally seems a bit mental.. and we're totally gonna post the entire report for you all to read as soon as it's possible!

:thumbs:

14. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Stop fucking crying for gods sake, i just said what plenty others have thought from reading it.

For anyone who knows anything about the drift world, it's obvious from the questions, and the answer options you get, what the answers are that you're going to get.

Like it or not, with answer options like that, the results will be pretty as expected, no surprises.

And for what it's worth, I went back and did the whole questionnaire anyhow to see what other stuff it said.

15. Ollie

Ollie LOOSE!

Stav, its not asking you to say you are either A or B - its asking you to think briefly about which one you most align with given only those two options. I did the questionnaire a few weeks ago and I thought it was actually quite reasonably thought out.

16. Marg

Marg Member

Pretty easy to go through and answer in your views.
    Can't see how people could predict, I can be immensely different to someone else that's in to the same things

17. chr15_84t3

chr15_84t3 Member

filled in the questionnaire. had an issue with one page, other non-extreme sports i wrote other: scuba diving, filled in the rest of the page and it came back with an error because i hadn't clicked football/golf/tennis etc.

interestingly though, at the end of the paper it lists scuba diving as an extreme sport... i've never really though of it as extreme, more relaxing, so my questionnaire is probably not as valid as it should be lol

18. wigwambam

wigwambam Member

A. I prefer the “down to earth” kinds of people as friends
    B. I would like to make friends in some of the “far out” groups like artists or “punks”

What about the people I know who happen to be very down to earth artists who might also identify with the term 'punk'. What the hell does 'far out' mean outside of a summer of love Woodstock scenario?

Given up sorry. Cannae be arsed to read questionnaires with bizarre and loaded terminology.

19. docwra

docwra Active Member

Just wanted to mention this was on SXOC as well, so its not solely aimed at drifters, and the questions are indeed used for general psychological profiling, Ive seen similar before.

I dont recall anyone on there swearing about it either, some of the guys actually suggested other places to try posting it, but each to their own I guess.

20. Munkul

Munkul Active Member

done.

Pretty sensible questions when you see what the aims of the study are. Just a couple of annoying ones.

Hope she gets the data she wants/needs :)