Finally got my SR20 custom dogbox!

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Silviafan, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Silviafan

Silviafan Member

Some of you might have seen some of my videos, I am rallying an S14. The stock gearbox was horrible for this purpose, just like any other swap would have been. In the past few months my dogbox was being designed and made,now it was finally ready and on the car just in time for the last weekend's race. This was the first one ever made, and the race was pretty much the test.. it turned out to be amazing. Sadly teh battery in my onboard camera died so none of it is recorderd but I will make a video soon so you can see how it is. at 6300 RPM speed in fifth is around 200km/h. Long 1st gear, short 2nd,3rd,4th and then 5th. The "order" of gears is different:
    2 4 1
    3 5 R

This needed some time getting used to, but no big deal.

We are thinking about making more of these on order in the near future if someone is interested.

I found a bad quality video of the first stages start, just enough to hear the beatuiful whining of the gears :p
    It was my first launch with this dogbox, so its not very good sorry.
    My launch is at around 7:15

2. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Awesome!

Going from first to second must be a pain.

3. retro-ed

retro-ed Flicks 'n' Kicks

Sweet! Got any pictures of the actual box?

4. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I think the point is, 1st gear is never used, hence moved so the 4 gears used are easy to get to with no mis-shifts.

5. Silviafan

Silviafan Member

Yes thats the point, 1st gear is only used for launching in most of the cases. And its not that bad, you can kind of do a "V" move to put it from 1st to 2nd or vice versa, it is still a lot faster than shifting down from 2nd to 1st with a sinchronous gearbox.

Sadly I don't have pictures as I was not home when the crew installed the box and they did not take pictures. But I plan to check the gears after a few races and I will take some photos then.

6. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

What sort of money has the gearbox cost and what torque rating :)?

7. crazyae86

crazyae86 Well-Known Member

its sound good we need more info

8. Silviafan

Silviafan Member

We can make them for 2850GBP if you can provide a stock gearbox in working order, as some parts are needed .If you cant it will be 3500GBP as I will have to look for one, buy it and pay for shipping.. We will assemble it ofcourse, and it can be picked up or we can ship it.

gear teeth numbers and ratios:
    1. 14 - 33 (2.357:1)
    2. 16 - 25 (1.562:1)
    3. 18 - 25 (1.277:1)
    4. 21 - 23 (1.095:1)
    5. is direct, 23 - 21 (0.913:1)

As for the torque rating, we use similar dog box in our lancers and they can handle their 600-800nm without any problem in long run, could possibly handle more

9. crazyae86

crazyae86 Well-Known Member

this is great news man
    good work you have done there

10. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

Thing is. That kind of money would easily get you a z33 box conversion. And they are nice boxes, shift nice, 6 speed, and handle a huge amount of power.

11. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

You can't really be comparing a standard road car box to a dog box when you're on about shift speed etc, surely.

Not even on the same planet. There's a good reason all race and rally cars run dog boxes, and it's not due to handling power.