Have I just killed an engine without driving it?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by spaniel, Jul 5, 2015.

1. spaniel

spaniel bigballs small brain

I have just fitted a second hand m52 2.8 to my coupe. I started it last week to bleed the water but thought I would run some radiator flush through it. I put some water in and the radiator flush but then noticed a problem with the engine so had to turn it off. I didn't think about the radiator flush being left in there and got distracted trying to sort the running issue.

It was only after a week that I was able to run it again and I have noticed that the water isn't circulating, I have just tried another water pump and radiator but when I put the water in the expansion tank and rev the engine you can see its not moving.

I'm guessing there has to be a blockage in one of the water ways, also now wandering if the radiator flush being left in there has blocked it :cry:.

When I took the water pump out quite a bit of water came out but when removing the top hose off the thermostat housing none came out and it only let some out when I removed the hose from the O/S of the radiator so at least I have an idea of how high the water is getting.

Does anyone know if the radiator flush would have blocked the water ways or is there some thing else going on?

I'm kinda thinking about putting a pressure washer up one of the water ways to the engine.

2. Bolf

Bolf Resident Nut Job.

connect both hoses and run a hosepipe through and it should flow pretty well , if it doesnt and pours back out the top hose , its blocked!

3. mc_bob

mc_bob Active Member

You are waiting for the thermostat to open right? Remove stat and check that with a kettle. If it doesn't open it won't circulate through the external cooling circuits.

4. spaniel

The thermostat already has the center taken out so its open. Normally when I bleed it and rev the engine the water level changes, at the moment it doesn't move at all.

5. mc_bob

mc_bob Active Member

Could be air locked as well.. Do as bolf says, verify passages are clear.

6. spaniel

Couldn't sleep so thought I would have another play. Just took the hoses off the thermo housing and turned them so they are vertical and higher than the housing, poured water on the expansion tank and it came out the thermo housing so this must mean the water ways are clear.
    This must mean its an air lock but I have done this loads of times and never had this problem.
    Its too early to try to bleed it now will have another go tonight.

7. Aaron328

Aaron328 Member

Jack the front up as high as possible or park it on a hill. Gives it that little bit of extra help to bleed it up.

8. mint

mint touch my fruit

Was just away to say, jack up the front of it while doing the bleeding.

9. spaniel

Yeah the front I up really high as usual, I back filled it through the top hose then once my girlfriend was awake I started it and gave it a quick rev, water shot out of the bleed hole so all is good.
    Just got paranoid that the radiator flush could have reacted and solidified in the engine.