Daily / Drift certain circumstances

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Willg87, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Willg87

Willg87 New Member

Hi I know I should have used the search but I would like some certain answers as their important to me and I find the internet to be misleading at times.

I would like a daily with drift potential.

I commute to work every day along the motorway. Maybe 30/40 miles and currently have a pd130 golf

I want something that can look amazing, comfortable and maybe different to your everyday car like the golf.

I would like semi decent economy not low 20's high teens around 30mpg would be great.

Oh and of course reliable as I need to get to work lol

I have sort have looked at the Gs300 atm as an option bit open to any suggestions on and under 1500 if possible

Many thanks for any replies will

2. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

Wouldn't we all!

Gs300 is automatic and not a drift car. Nor will it do 30mpg. As for something that does 40mpg, drifts and is reliable for £1500: wake up and see the real world! You have no chance

Mx5 is the only car that comes close to your criteria. Done

3. Willg87

Willg87 New Member

Had a mx5 motorway driving see me shocking mpg was slow as **** and comfortable it wasn't.

This is why I say internet for figures is useless as a e46 328/330 says extra urban 40mpg 29mpg combined the Gs a bit less but want realistic figures from people who have owned one.

As from my experience I always get slot less than stated

4. mint

mint touch my fruit

I think thats common though from all cars, However your kinda barking up the wrong tree in all fairness. MPG and Drift car and Comfortable and Daily dont go together. However more so for asking on this board, as people dont buy drift cars for comfort and MPG :S

What people usually do, Is own a drift car, and a daily. That way you can have the best of both worlds. A cheap FWD diesel for all those MPG's you seek, and a drift car for the sideways fun.

If your budget is £1500, then MX5 it is, A GS is gonna be 10x worse for MPG, Or look into an old BMW, as those are cheap aswell.

5. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

How about an NA 300zx z32

6. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

You are living in a dream world. If an mx5 doesn't do enough mpg for you I'm afraid your shit out of luck as I can't think of anything rwd with better mpg for under £1500. Your lucky to get anything rwd for that sort of money, let alone something that ticks all those boxes. Best you can hope for is work out what's more important to you, I.e if you want comfort , get a gs, if you want mpg get a diesel BMW, if you want power get something turbo. However your not going to find a magical car that ticks all those boxes for anywhere near that price, sorry dude.

Personally I'm driving an altezza at the moment as its a very good balance between comfort, power, decent mpg and drifts well. But you'll struggle to find a decent manual one for much less than 3k

#6 initial_j, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  7. Willg87

Willg87 New Member

I had a auto altezza a few years back lovely car better mpg than the mx5 might be the fact I do motorway miles I find a 1.2 fiesta to also be expensive for that. Had a few 2.0l cars and above that do good mpg on them journeys assumed a 330 or Gs300 would but wanted to check first I don't want a out and out drift car just something capable of a bit of fun now and then

8. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

gs300 is 3.0 and seriously heavy car so not known for good mpg. Plus its automatic and has an open diff. Not going to be able to drift that. Not sure about 330s but i very much doubt they are any better.

9. mint

mint touch my fruit

Comes onto a dedicated drift forum, to ask a bunch of drifters; who care about drifting.. about MPG? :p Maybe piston heads would be better shout?

An auto Altezza, Will apparently give you back around 29/30mpg if you granny foot it.
    An mx5 will give you apparently between 25 to 27/28 mpg.

Iv owned a heap of MX5's and compared to my Silvia and JZX, It costs absolutely bugger all to run, drift, daily etc etc, I know its not diesel spec MPG but its a roadster.

Neither car was build to produce great MPG, So as said.. go buy a diesel BMW, mega MPG and RWD for that bit of fun now again. However your not going to get a decent newish BMW for less than £2k.

Iv also been in a few GS300's now to witness just how fast that fuel gauges drops when you drop it, Its almost as bad as a JZX100, They are NOT fuel efficient lol. However who cares..

10. Willg87

Willg87 New Member

Like I said I think you may have missed the point grannying up and down the motorway wouldn't mind seeing 25-30 having fun mpg don't matter at all

11. Rubix_Cube

Rubix_Cube Member

MX5 is the best bet as when you granny up and down the motorway you should see 25-30mpg. If it doesn't your doing it wrong.

12. Dirk Jan

Dirk Jan Member

I've seen a fair few BMW E46 320D's for sale on this forum around 2k, might be worth looking into.

13. thenextdk

thenextdk Member

Get a 4.0 v8 bmw 5 series they do 80mpg flat out and will skid all day.

14. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

e46 320/330ds are great but so many things to do wrong

Diesel pumps, dual mass flywheel, turbo, dpf flaps (or whatever they are called) all very expensive to fix. Buy a cheap one with a ton of miles and it will probably end up costing a lot more.

15. retro-ed

retro-ed Flicks 'n' Kicks

E46 328i/330i.. 30mpg+ on motorway all day long, with all interior in comfy and refined. Capable skidder with welder and coilovers. Cheaper than equivalent E36 as drift tax hasn't raped them all yet.

This is speaking from experience by the way.

16. docwra

docwra Active Member

They do sometimes, but not for £1500. Retro-ed is closest IMO, an E46 328i will do ovr 30mpg, be reet comfy and will skid a bit too, I dont think theres anything else to consider TBH.

17. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

Do you mean 35-40mpg? Or did I have some magic Mx5 that ran on absolutely nothing? Last time I figured out a run from Inverness to Aberdeen it was 40mpg.

18. PurcyP

PurcyP Member

i thought e46's werent used often because of overly complicated traction control stuff and the boot floor being made of heinz beans or something.

anyway

something that looks amazing, skids and does mpg for £1500? good luck

19. Willg87

Willg87 New Member

Cheers for the info about the 330 and 328 as their well within budget and one of my options I was really wondering what else was comparable to them like the Gs300. I had a mk1 1600 mx5 that maybe why weren't great on the motorway or maybe just a small tank so appeared to use more

20. Willg87

Willg87 New Member

And I should have explained better I don't expect to buy one ready a good running project that's relatively clean is my idea and doing the rest as i go along