Advice needed on drifter as a daily.

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by MagicMik0, Feb 10, 2016.

1. MagicMik0

MagicMik0 Member

Hey

I've been hovering around the forum for a couple of years now. I have decided that it's time to buy a drift car. I am a student at uni and commute between Stoke and Nottingham every weekend therefore I need it to be a decent daily in decent condition, as I can't afford to have two cars.

As soon as my current car sells, I will have around £3000 to spend. My primary choice is an S13 however if I don't manage to find one, what should I look for? I've had some good advice from @scoobystu about 13's over the past couple of weeks, and it's been on top of my list since I was a little lad, however if the case is that if my car sells, and there aren't many 13's about in my budget, are there any other decent motors to look out for? I've considered MX5's and IS200's but I'd just like to hear what some of you think.

Cheers guys:D

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Wouldn't get a S13 for 3k and expect it to be a daily and a drifter. Lucky for it to be 1 of them these days for 3k.

It depends what you want from a car.

I've daily'd MX5s loads while using them for drifting, no bother.

I'm currently dailying a 330i Sport with a welder etc etc, and while I hated it at first for drifting, seemed boring to me compared to MX5s (twice as fast, but I don't need power to drift) a few changes and it's not bad at all, and it's deffo nice as a daily, looks decent, comfy, HK stereo, leather, decent enough on fuel, blahblah. And it cost me a grand with a years MOT.

For 3k you got a shitload of options, though as a 1st drifter, if you really gonna drift it, I'd not spend 3k.

3. MagicMik0

MagicMik0 Member

yeah I've kind of discovered that to be honest, which is why I'm open to suggestions now, cos before I was like oh S13 only nothing else but now like I said, I'll consider things.

Insurance is weird for me mate, I can insure an S13 (I'm 19) for a grand but a 330ci is like 3k on insurance which sucks dick, sky high prices. In fact, any 6 pot beemer is over 2k, think with exception of e36 323 which is reasonable on insurance, not so much knowledge on bmw's so whats your opinion on the 323?

And yeah man, I know what you mean, I'm just saying thats my budget, I would consider something cheaper probably.

4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Surely an MX5 will be cheaper on insurance? As well as cheapest on gas as a daily, have heaps of parts around when you break stuff and need to fix it cheap, and one of the best chassis to learn in.

Money leftover can go into track days, just don't get sucked into lifestyling

By the time you're out of uni and have a job the little MX5 will have turned you into a decent driver and an S13 will be piss-easy to drive. Keep the MX5 as a reliable daily/backup drift car

5. MagicMik0

MagicMik0 Member

The mx's are quite cheap to insure yeah, so thats good. I'll have a look at some, cheers mate.

6. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

If you want something reliable go for an mx5. Mine never let me down and was cheap on fuel, tyres, insurance and good to learn in.

7. MagicMik0

MagicMik0 Member

Looking at a couple now, cheers.

8. jamesb16a2

jamesb16a2 Member

Loads of stuff out there man is200 318-320 shit old mercs mx5, basically anything rwd don't have to be a scene boy and have a S13 to drift. In reality they are old now and are going to have a host of age related problems especially for under 3k my advice would be Start cheap save your pennies then in a couple of years with loads of no claims look at chaser soarer skylines or build something different altogether people are always finding different swaps seat time is more important than the motor

9. MagicMik0

MagicMik0 Member

Hey. Thanks for the advice man. Looking for an Mx5 now

10. Escygt

Escygt Member

Altezza is a good option if you can get insurance.

11. MagicMik0

MagicMik0 Member

Struggling a bit to be fair. Most jdm cars I'd have to wait til I'm 21. I once rang Adrian Flux up to ask for a quote on a 180 and they said something like 12k whereas when I asked for insurance for a 13 with sr swap it was like 1.3k, silly

12. Paul-r33

Paul-r33 New Member

S13s seem to be getting cheaper again, seen a few about the 2/2.5 mark but without going to see them you don't know if they are rot boxes

13. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

Have you looked in to E46s as well? They're about the same price as an E36, parts are eeeverywhere, have a decent interior and are cheap as chips.

14. MagicMik0

MagicMik0 Member

Yeah man I've looked at them it's just the insurance is silly money.

15. MR.T

MR.T DRIFT RETARDED

If you can't get a s13 get a e36 318ti compact. 140hp 4 cylinder and are piss easy to drift in the dry. Mx5 is to small and gay