Winter or summer tires for drift? pro's'n'cons

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by RCMads, Apr 27, 2016.

1. RCMads

RCMads New Member

Hey guys.

i have a question.. what are best for a rookie drifter? what are the con's of drifting with winter tire?

i know, summer tires are cheap.. but i can get my tires for free, but most of them are winter (season change)

2. Kingk

Kingk Member

Don't use winter tyres, my mate tried when he first started drifting, not good! They're not designed to handle the heat, so immoderately started delaminating and chunks flew off everywhere and blew holes in his kit. Also didn't last long at all! About 20 mins doing a bit of streeto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Ikeaaxel

Ikeaaxel Member

If you have a good supply of tyres, why not give them a go and see for yourself? One of the most annoying parts of drifting is getting tyres arranged so make life easy for yourself and get whatever is easiest and works for you.

Used some winter ones on my mx5 and they were fine. Might not hold up if your on a higher powered car but there's only one way to find out and every brand of tyre is different.

4. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Winter tyres are a soft compound so are super grippy but won't last too long. If they are free and you have enough wheels use them all.

5. RCMads

RCMads New Member

Thanks for the answer guys! i will try them out!