Starter Car?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by leegriffiths, Apr 29, 2016.

1. leegriffiths

leegriffiths New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get a basic starter car to get into the drifting world on a budget. I dont want to spend more than around £800 on a rough car thats mechanically sound to get drift ready myself, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I was looking at MX-5's but caging it would be a pain so I'd rather start with something that has a proper roof!

Cheers

2. Mr.pickles

Mr.pickles Member

3. Ollie

Ollie LOOSE!

You don't need a cage to begin with at all, I would advise avoiding putting any car on its roof whether you think its 'proper' or not. T
    The right car will be the one you can afford with a diff that locks.

4. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

E46s are about the cheapest things out there at mo.

5. dan_gsxr

dan_gsxr Member

ive got a standard 330i I'm going to stick up cheap soon. looking for 1100 for it, has electric seats harmon kardon ect so that could all be stripped to pay for the drift mods.

that's the way ive done it in the past, just take all the good stuff off that you don't need and it pays for the bits you do!

6. Matts Turbo'd

Matts Turbo'd Member

bought a 36 compact 1.6 for 400 quid

it goes ok just wish it had a bit more power as struggles in the dry a little but still goes ok for what it is

7. jay-young

jay-young Active Member

I got the 1.9 but for the same price. It goes great, makes you work a bit harder to keep it going, but you learn more than if you started with a high power car.

8. tkddave

tkddave Member

I went for 600bhp straight off. Then again my car is more of a street car that a drift car... I'd go for an e46, welded diff and a hydro. Sorted!

9. leegriffiths

leegriffiths New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys! So bmw looks like the way to go, hopefully I can pick something up soon and get working on it!