Getting a car from nI to uk mainlands... help please :)

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Dale_, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Dale_

Dale_ Member

I know this has probably been done to death but I have found a very nice supra for sale in northern island. The car is currently on uk plates (private ). I have never bought a car from somewhere a rivery before and was just wondering if someone could help me out in layman's terms. There is a lot of contradicting information.

Would I have to tax in under dvla before I leave with the car?

Would I have to MOT the car when I get back?

Can I just insure the car and tax it and sort the rest out once I'm home?

Sorry for all the questions but I'd much appreciate any help! Thanks in advance

2. mcleansc

mcleansc Member

NI is part of the UK. Buy the car, tax it, insure it and you'll be fine mate. NI MOT's are valid in the mainland, my Kouki had a NI MOT for a year after I bought it. Keep the paperwork though as ANPR systems don't recognise it, even though it is valid. I was stopped by the Police for having no MOT, but showed the paperwork and all was fine.

I drove from the docks with a non taxed, but insured, car on Republic of Ireland plates and was fine. You're over thinking it ha

3. Dale_

Dale_ Member

Awesome! So i assume im even better off with the car having a uk plate on it aswell?

4. Bugie

Bugie Member

Yes. A car in NI is just like having a car anywhere else in the UK, same rules and regs all round. So longs as its MOT'd, tax it and insure before you drive off and you'll have zero issues