Borg Warner EFR turbo

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Simon Skyline, May 13, 2013.

1. Simon Skyline

Simon Skyline Member

Hi there all :wave::wave::wave:

My Skyline is the first turbo car I've owned so please excuse the newbee type questions to follow... :o
    I've been reading up on & am dead interested in the new Borg Warner EFR turbos. I'm saving up to get myself either a 7064 or 7670 T4 0.92 A/R. I'm after a nice drive & torquey power curve rather than a drag slag.

1) I've read loads but does anyone actually have any experience with these turbos?

2) I understand that it will take more revs before the boost kicks in - and hits harder - but how differently will the car drive off boost?

3) With the mods listed below, when could I expect the boost to start coming in?

RB25DET (standard internals)
    Either EFR7064 or 7670 turbo & Full Race T4 manifold (to buy)
    Apexi Power FC & Commander
    Gizzmo IBC-R boost controller
    Z32 AFM (to be moved to the cool side of FMIC)
    HKS induction kit & cold air feed
    XS Power down pipe with divorsed wastegate
    Decat & 3" custom exhaust system
    Splitfire coilpacks & NGK BKR8EIX plugs
    100mm FMIC
    HKS cam belt with Blueprint tensioners/idlers
    HKS blow of valve (to be removed if I get an EFR turbo)
    Walbro 255lph fuel pump
    FSE FPR & in-line octane booster
    Earthing kit (home made)
    Oil catch tank (vent to air)
    Spec clutch kit & lightweight flywheel
    Samco coolant hoses
    Tomei 740cc injectors (to fit)
    Front facing inlet plenum (to fit)

Thanks peeps :thumbs:

#1 Simon Skyline, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  2. Simon Skyline

Simon Skyline Member

3. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I didnt comment as ive never messed with one. But as you asked...

Hardly anyone seems to use them yet, and what limited stuff I've seen says they've not been that reliable.

Loads use the SX series of BWs as they not so stupidly high priced, and work, and don't break.

Personally I don't really see the attraction of stuff like them unless you made of money or conned some sponsor in to giving it you- The difference in performance is usually tiny compared to the extra thousand plus quid people spend on these swanky turbos.
    And usually they have these fancy turbos but have other really bad spec choices that make the car drive worse than with a more normal turbo but with their other shit sorted.

Regarding driving off boost, it will drive off boost exactly the same.

4. smokindrifter

smokindrifter Member

DW uses what Stav suggests on thier R32 the BW SX Airwerks think its the s300

5. Simon Skyline

Simon Skyline Member

Thanks guys :thumbs:

I liked the idea of all the new technology (built in BOV, IWG & boost control solenoid) and higher power levels, while still using an internal wastegate. Therefore, saving me money on 1 or 2 external wastegates and keeping things clean, simple & lightweight.

Out of interest, what are the reliability issues you've heard of? The only one I read about was a cheap copy of the turbo. :confused:

I heard that the Sierra Sierra Evo use one & Cosworth are supposed to be in development with them, but I might be wrong.

6. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Having a built in BOV, internal wastegate, and boost control solenoid attached to it isn't new technology, you'll find that on loads of old Rover and Volvo turbos.
    None of which will help you anyhow.

Reliability- People believing the hype, buying one straight away, and blowing them up, very quickly. I have never seen a cheap copy of a EFR turbo, I'd be amazed if any copys of them exist yet.

They do seem like top notch units on paper, but personally not seen enough yet to think it's a great idea.

£1500 odd delivered to the UK for the manifold, and at least that if not more for the full race manifold is a lot of money.
    Seems spending 3k+ on a turbo and manifold seems a bit much for a standard internals RB25 running otherwise pretty ordinary stuff. But that's me, value for money above all else is what I like when it comes to performance.

7. David Reid

David Reid RB30 Charger

One of my close friends works for Ilmor and has developed and run the Chevrolet V8's that run of the shelf EFR turbo's. he has only ever had a failure when running them way over there temp limit or over speeded. But BW admitted and solved the robustness issues with the early turbos.

The only issue I have had is buying one, no one in the UK stocks them and it took me 8 months to get mine.

I wanted the best possible boost threshold so I am trying one on my GTR. I hope it will be better than a GTX, time will tell I'll fit it next month. I went for an 8374

8. Simon Skyline

Simon Skyline Member

Cool :cool:

Do me a favour please mate, give me a PM or post on here to let me know how you get on & what you think of it.

I understand there are cheaper options out there but quite like what I've read so far, and I'm the sort to do my research & (hopefully) buy once.

:dw:

Thanks again for all your help lads :thumbs:

9. Simon Skyline

Simon Skyline Member

Any news buddy on your EFR yet? :wave:

If so, what do you think of it & have you had any issues?

Money has taken it's usual turn of events & dried up lately, so probably going to be a while until I can afford it again... But hopefully one day lol :cry:

10. Simon Skyline

Simon Skyline Member

Borg Warner EFR

Hi there mate, how'd you get on with the efr 8374? Did you get it & if so, what do you think?

Please let me know mate, as I've read mixed reviews... Heard they are great responsive turbos but they had reliability issues & very long backorder lists. What's your experience?

Thanks, Si :-)

11. enrgy

enrgy Member

Does anyone know if regular 76mm v-band and flane for downpipe fits efr turbo? Just want to make sure before buying that it will fit and there are no differences since BW are selling v-bands made "specially" for this turbo but they are way overpriced.

#11 enrgy, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014