R32 engine swap

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by CrispyTKD, Apr 21, 2014.

1. CrispyTKD

CrispyTKD Member

Ive had my 32 for 5 years. Stupidly left it stood for too long and when it came to MOT i had major problems and a friend partly rebuilt it. But then work went quiet and it was left stood a while again. So since then ive bought 2 second hand engines that have both gone the same way. The last one was another RB20DET with 1.5 metal headgasket from JDM Garage and upon mapping started missing at 6k and turns out its down on compression on every cylinder.
    So needless to say im loosing the love for the 32 4Dr at the min. But was just thinking of another engine that would drop in that would be quite a bit newer so i didnt have the old RBs in it any more. Something like a 350z or s2000 if it could even fit. Been looking at 33 GTR engines but dunno if i should put another 20 year old engine back in. I want to get this sorted pretty soonish so i can get it back on the road but i think that buying older 2nd hand engines are just garenteed to fail. Any ideas? Could really do with some help before i just end up deciding to break it. :(

[​IMG]

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Why not build an engine rather than chancing dodgy old ones? A nicely done RB20 is a beast.

3. PHIL-BLR

PHIL-BLR Member

4. H05TYL

H05TYL Member

If you just slapped a metal head gasket in without doing any other prep that could be your problem. They're quite picky about have absolutely dead flat surfaces. I'd suggest pulling the head off and checking both head and block surfaces with a good straight edge, then I'd refit with a stock head gasket.

If there is other damage to the engine evident when you pull the head off, then I'd suggest a late model rb25neo from an R34 would be your best bet. More power, much never and close to a bolt in swap - anything else will take a lot of work and cost much, much more.

5. CrispyTKD

CrispyTKD Member

Liking the look of the forged 20. Need to get some cash together first unless you can sort other payment options.

Headgasket came already fitted from Jdm so looks like it was highly abused before they sold me it.

I dont want the hastle of taking an engine apart and messing about again i just ideally want something to drop in. Fed up of the car looking mint and just sitting there. Everything else on the car has been upgraded its just the engine.
    With the forged 20 could i still use my 20 Pfc?

6. cefiro_drifta

cefiro_drifta Mad pointing Munky

2nd hand is 2nd hand. Doesn't matter of its 2yrs old or 20 yes old it's still unknown history to the new buyer

7. PHIL-BLR

PHIL-BLR Member

Crispy I think Dave at jdmdistro take a deposit an when it lands in the uk you pay the rest everybody that has dealt with him on here can't speak highly enough of him

8. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

9. CrispyTKD

CrispyTKD Member

can imagine it will be. is that a fresh build though or from another car? i had 330hp with my new turbo on 1.1bar on the rb20.
    might have to look into it.just alot of dosh to find

10. CrispyTKD

CrispyTKD Member

is that block from a GTR ? looking as the sum it has the extentions for the front wheel drive system?

11. PHIL-BLR

PHIL-BLR Member

Yeah seen the sump maybe taken out of a gts-4 I'm sure if you email them they could tell you more

12. CrispyTKD

CrispyTKD Member

Didnt even think of the gts4 lol already emailed so will see. Cheers for the link

13. CrispyTKD

CrispyTKD Member

Is there a way to blank off the half shafts before i dive into this and buy it?

14. PHIL-BLR

PHIL-BLR Member

You can just put your old rb20 sump on it or get something like a greddy/trust extended sump

15. CrispyTKD

CrispyTKD Member

Wasnt sure if i could. Ive got a large SP Autos baffled sump so il just swap it over :)

16. alexj

alexj Member

#16 alexj, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  17. nismo-Turbo

nismo-Turbo Member

18. CrispyTKD

CrispyTKD Member

Looks interesting. PM replied to :)

19. Jimbo200sx

Jimbo200sx Member

Nope, the bolt patterns are fine, though the pick-up location is different due to the 4wd.

20. CrispyTKD

CrispyTKD Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Id need to have a look inside the sump then and see how the fins are.