M54 lump in N42 chassis

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by EDD., Aug 4, 2014.

1. EDD.

EDD. Member

I'm about to take on the above conversion. I've done a couple engine swaps on e36s with no major dramas, however I'm hearing there's slightly more to getting a 6 pot running in an e46 that was originally running a 4 pot. As far as I can see and from what I've been told, the main issues are going to be the clocks, the throttle and obviously the EWS. Anyone successfully done this swap and able share out of experience?

2. andrew2208

andrew2208 Member

Hi I'm thinking of doing the same! Landing a 2.5 6 pot in where my n42 is! :) have you made any progress? A diner car would be the best option! Ive heard you need even the ignition barrel :p

3. EDD.

EDD. Member

Progress has been good! Bought engine, broke hand. Progress commences in 6-8 weeks. I can't see how you'll need ignition barrel, surely a diy ews bypass or a remap to the same effect will work. But yeah donor car would be the best option, I won't be doing it that way as I've already picked up an m54 3 litre nice and cheap. I'll be chucking a build thread for it up when my hand is fixed anyways, yours may already be done by that point though aha.

4. KAS627

KAS627 Member

Sorry to bring up an old thread but whats actually involved in this?
    Is it pretty much plug and play with the engine?

5. ellis202

ellis202 New Member

so do guys recon i could put a 2003 bmw 318ti engine into my nissan pulsar 1998

6. EDD.

EDD. Member

If you can dream it, you can achieve it.

7. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

and if that's your dream then your not taking your medication.

8. EDD.

EDD. Member

Agreed.

9. EDD.

EDD. Member

Update on this just in case anyone gives a shit, I've got dash lights and the crank spinning but no further. Should know more later on.

10. EDD.

EDD. Member

It's in and runs without flaw, m54b30 in a 318 chassis so it's very achievable [emoji41]

11. gavc85

gavc85 New Member

Hi EDD I'm looking for some info on the above conversion, the m54 is fitted and all plugged in and will only crank with the n42 ews module but wont start, and with the m54 ews module I get nothing is there a way of bypassing the ews?

12. gavc85

gavc85 New Member

m54 into n42 chassis

13. EDD.

EDD. Member

Hi mate, you need to use the m54; ecu, ews module, barrel and key. Alternatively you can open up your keys an swap the chips so you can keep the same barrel.

I've not yet figured out bypassing the ews but it's only a ten minute job to change it all over dude. Also worth noting you'll want to change the clocks over too.

14. Greasemonkeygod

Greasemonkeygod New Member

How did you get it running in the end bud? I’ve just put a M54 lump where my n42 was and now I’m stuck with wiring the x6004 plug from the m54 dme to the n42 chassis loom, cheers JJ