Turbo-ing a Mk2 mx5 the pikey way…. Who’s done it!?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by stacky, Oct 23, 2014.

1. stacky

stacky Family 4door drifter

Apparently the mk1 can easily handle 7/8psi with a begi controller (retards timing on boost) and a rising rate regulator to up fuelling slightly.

But with the mk2, you can’t retard the timing because they use a fixed CAS and the fueling system is different (I’m not sure how different but I’ve heard that they don’t work well with aftermarket fpr’s).

My questions are:….
    Is that true about the timing?
    If I hardwire a walbro replace all the fueling gubbing and add a rising rate fpr, with it overfuel like kak, or will it run ok?
    Has anyone done it on a mk2 with a low boost set up?

If you could reply with a positive attitude, in non keyboard warrior shtyle and keep to the questions asked only….. that would be super duper appreciated!
    Pikey replies only please…. I don’t want anyone replying to this thread that can afford engine management!

#1 stacky, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  2. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Yeah, because black writing really helps .....

3. stacky

PS, just for the record, i didnt change it to black, it went like that when i copied and pasted it.
    Funnily enough, i had it changed before you even replied lol. It's off to a flying start lol! :wack::no:

4. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Your correct in that mk2s are indeed harder to tune, many of them don't have fuel pressure regulators, some do but most are built into the fuel pump.

Oem fuel pumps are fine for low boost applications, the cheapest option would be something like a greedy emanage, I know your saying about affording an ecu, but by the time you pikey a solution together it costs just as much if not more than a piggyback.

5. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

From what I can tell, that's BS spread as most owners don't have a clue what they're going on about.

UK Mk2s have a normal return system and reg, it's the US ones that have a returnless system with the reg in the tank.

6. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

I bought an emanage blue ECU with loom for my Mk2.5 for £130, so you can pick up stuff that will allow you to map for cheaps :)

7. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

If it's got a normal return system with a reg in the engine bay then just shove a Vortech AAFPR in there and knock the timing back.

Run around with low boost, and if you want more power look at an E-manage or MS pnp

8. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Pretty sure my mk2 didn't have a return stav, as it was something I was considering when I had it.

9. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Mine did, as did all the others I looked at.

People said it didn't, I thought oh shit, then looked, and they were talking poop. Then people admitted they'd never looked, just read it on a forum.

10. stacky

Pretty much this.... but how do i knock back the timing with a fixed CAS sensor? They arn't slotted / adjustable like SR ones :-(

11. Leno

Leno Member

Its the mk2.5 (so vvti) engine that has a returnless system, mk2s fueling is the same as mk1 as far as I'm aware :)

12. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Or just run a boost activated extra injector like the old Turbo 2 Honda City's.

That is if we're talking pikey shit.

13. r3k1355

No you need an electronic system to alter the timing, something like a Begi Bipes ACU.
    Miata Turbo Bipes ACU

or you build a cheap megasquirt system??

14. Jarno

Jarno Member

Hello, I own(ed) a supercharged Mx5 NA 1.6. Buidling it to turbo now. I know you dont want to hear anything about standalone ecu's or piggybacks.
    So what i know is that for the supercharger kits from jackson racing they have powercards that also add fueling and theres something they call a boost controller, its from SEBRING. Ye... its not a boost controller like for a turbo setup but it regulates timing on boost or something. For some reason they just chose to call it that which is kinda confusing. Maybe you can look into something like this.

Good luck!

15. r3k1355

Problem is after you've fitted a powercard and something to adjust the timing you've already spent as much money as you would have just fitting a standalone or piggyback system.

16. Mazderp

Mazderp New Member

Bit of a thread revival but I'm in the same boat as OP, want my mk2 turbo'd, but cheaply...

Had another mk2 a year ago that was turbo'd by it's previous owner on a budget, ran a T25 at 7psi, had a Blox 12:1 FMU/FPR (whatever you want to call it), walbro 255 fuel pump & pretty sure had uprated injectors (no idea what). Anywho, was fun while it lasted but ended up cooking cylinder 4.

Better judgement dictates I should get megasquirt & do it properly but plenty of people (quite a few in the US) seem to run the above kind of setup without issue.

I'm still learning & would love to be told what of the previous setup was required and what was overkill?

17. stacky

I hate people who give second hand advice on forums without having done it themselves….. however, from researching ( a lot!) Bipes won’t work on a mk2. It seems that any mx5 up to 1997 is very easily turbo’d with minimal budget engine management (non-mappable bolts ons and adjustments), but some (not all) of the later mk2’s are a pain in the arse and will cost a bomb to turbo.

Unfortunately I didn’t do my research before buying. If I had, I would have got a mk1 and it would be turbo’d by now. I cut my losses and sold the car a few weeks back. It would have cost too much and in my eyes, the gains were not worth the investment.

In summary, it seems to me that if you skimp on a mk2, you will kill an engine – but if you skimp on a mk1 you’l be fine with low boost.

That’s my 2cents anyways and I’m sticking by it.