1JZ, supporting mods....What next?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Minimoke, Oct 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Minimoke

Minimoke Member

Hey all,
    Have been floating around here for a while and have finally got summit Jap with go faster snails bolted to it, a 1JZ Soarer with a W58 manual box. It's got the usual BPU; big exhaust, Decat, mushroom filter, FMIC, HKS FCD, boost controller and BOV. Doesn't go past 12psi at the moment. I was told by the previous owner it should be hitting a sturdy 340hp, not at the wheels I assume. Does this sound about right?

My question is, What should I have in mind for squeezing more power out of it? Is there another 30/40hp more to get out of the stock turbos? Would I be brave turning the boost up much more on them? A friend tells me it pops flames pretty often, Does this hint that the mixture might need fettling?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if there's a similar post already on here, I couldn't find one.

Chris.

#1 Minimoke, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  2. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Hey man, welcome along..

So first off.. Your gearbox is pretty much on its limits of power.. Depending on whether you are intending on drifting it(which I presume you will be as you've signed up to a drifting forum), the box can take a bit more power but won't take the power AND abuse drifting will throw at it.

Next thing I'd recommend is an AFR gauge (PLX, AEM, etc).. You can get more power but you want to be sure your AFRs are acceptable.

You can get some 440cc injectors in there(that's the max on stock ecu), and up the boost, but again you need to know your AFRs are ok..

Running loads of boost on stock turbos can be a bit sketchy, they'll defiantly wear out quicker, jdm spec turbos can shit themselves pretty badly sometimes.

Or stick a massive single turbo on it, a stand alone ecu and big injectors and make 500hp:thumbs:

3. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Also bin the mushroom, filter, fit a modded stock air box to keep the intake temps down. 1.1bar is pretty much the max you would want to run on old ceramic turbos. And as above, get an AFR gauge to see what the fuelling is doing.

4. Wolfie-V8

Wolfie-V8 Member

thirded what the above two have said.
    a AFR gauge is a must.

Stock twins are good for 1.1 max, if you want more then get them rebuilt but to be honest the wastegate on these is small does not flow that well high up, plus there is a risk of getting hotspots where cracks form around the port which can lead to trouble.

if you want big power go for a single like a Holset HX35, thats what I have on mine and I am very happy with it.

5. Minimoke

Minimoke Member

Thanks for the replies chaps, it's much appreciated. I'll order an AFR and see what's going on. Can never have too many gauges eh.

I read that about my box yes. It's got a pretty heavy 6 puck clutch too which I'm assuming would outlast the box torque wise. Thing is, what can I do about the box? The only other option I'm aware of is the R154 6 speed from the TT Supra, and they're around two grand from what I've seen. Not sure I wanna chuck that much dosh at a box. Are there cheaper alternatives that could take over 400hp?

I'll do a bit of reading into the HX35, cheers dude. But if the box is at its limit it may be better to look at a Skyline or another car with a better box already installed. I did go Rockingham for the day yesterday in an S14 and had so much fun. Drifting is brilliant. Not sure I'd wanna do it to the Soarer though, can imagine things break often and stuff gets worn out.

6. Wolfie-V8

Wolfie-V8 Member

The box from the TT Supra you are thinking of is the V160, which is very costly.
    there are some other options about.
    People are getting power out of the BMW boxes, not 100% certain which one however.
    as far as things breaking or getting worn out, thats going to happen regardless of what car it is when you are drifting them, I will say that the Soarer is a tough old beast, so dont go thinking they are fragile.
    please dont buy a Skyline, you will end up regretting it!

7. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Yeah you kinda can have to many gauges... You can only look at one at a time, and when your balls deep in a skid you won't look at any..
    The PLX gauge is the best in my opinion, can have upto 16 modules all plugged into 1 gauge, so oil temp, pressure, etc etc all in 1.. Touch screen to flick between the things you are measuring, and will flash if something goes outside of the set parameters.

R154 is 5 sped, from loads of cars.. This is about 2k all in.. The v160 is 6spd from supra, 4k for that lot..

Your w58 is worth £800 or so, I often recommend to change it before you break it.. Once it's broke its worth nothing..

Soarers are the best car you can get for drifting, they don't break like rusty old datsuns.. They'll take more of a beating too:thumbs:

8. Minimoke

Minimoke Member

Again thanks for the replies lads. Great support here. The bloke I bought the Soarer off said he's had a few Skyline's and really preferred the Toyota stuff he's had. It's good to hear others reinforce that. Sound advice about changing the box rather than waiting until it breaks, I think I'm just gonna stick with this box and this kinda power for now. It's incredibly tail happy as it is so it doesn't really need more....Maybe.

Was kidding about the number of gauges yeah, ha. I've only got a boost gauge at the moment, the rest of the information is on that scary digital dash these Soarer's came with. What other gauges do you guys run? Saw a Silvia running 320hp yesterday and he had oil pressure, oil temp, boost and a few others. Is that overkill? Those PLX ones look sweet, may well grab one of those as they seem to do everything I'd need.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Soarer, is good to hear people talking positively about them. Another question....My rear gearbox mount is on its way out, I can't find one that says it's specifically for the W58 box, will any Mk4 Supra manual one work? Thanks in advance guys.

Chris.

#8 Minimoke, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  9. Wolfie-V8

Wolfie-V8 Member

Rusty old Datsuns....love it!

10. Nichols92

Nichols92 Member

In rust, We trust :)