E36 328 Radiator Ponderings

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by PinkPineapple, Oct 29, 2014.

1. PinkPineapple

PinkPineapple Member

2. redgpx

redgpx Member

Mine overheated to start with but I just take the bonnet off now & it's fine.( 328i not the one in my avatar)

3. PinkPineapple

PinkPineapple Member

Na I don't want to be doing that, especially as some tracks don't let you run without a bonnet

4. ren_juanjo

ren_juanjo buttercakes!!

i've got the ones similar to your first link, from winner racing, on both my M3s. they work very well.

i would suggest though if you find your car is overheating it's usually the fault of a) water pump b) lack of fan shroud c) viscous clutch d) thermostat

I used to run a 4cylinder rad on a previous 328, and with a new fan clutch, good fan blades, proper bleeding, a new thermostat, metal stat housing, and the correct shroud fitted i had zero temperature issues.

5. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

have you flushed all the shit from your cooling system ?
    Drop a few steradent tablets into your water bottle and run the car for a while, then drain it all.
    Really helps shift the sludge from your rad etc and brings the efficiency of your cooling system back into normal parameters.

6. PinkPineapple

PinkPineapple Member

Sweet, do you know if the coolant pipes are the same?

Cooling system was overhauled with new thermostat, housing and pump less than 2000 miles ago. However, I have no viscous or shroud as they didn't come with the car (has an electric on the rad instead) but I've bought a brand new one to go on too. Just wanted to make it 100% un-overheatable for the future

7. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

a shroud will make a big difference

8. ren_juanjo

ren_juanjo buttercakes!!

m3 pipework different as it runs a remote header tank. you'll need to accumulate these pipes. Fit a viscous and shroud and your issues will go away.

9. PinkPineapple

PinkPineapple Member

Kk, just got a shroud too so I'll see what it's like Saturday. Thanks for the help