Auto soarer vs Hydro?? Is there a way of eliminating the power delay?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by stacky, Nov 18, 2014.

1. stacky

stacky Family 4door drifter

As i understand it, if i fit a hydro to an auto soarer - i can safely lock up the rears (off acceleration) but then have to deal a 3(ish) second delay on power coming back on. C

an anyone tell me if this is a mechanical thing (whereby its the time taken for the torque convertor to kick back in from a stand still), or it an electrical/ECU thing similar to a fuel cut?

I just want to know if i can get around it and have almost instant power after locking the rears.Ch

Thanks

2. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Where did you hear that? Rubbish. The only 'delay' might be if you're off boost but there will be power available as soon as you put your foot down

3. stacky

Last post on the first page of this thread (but afaik, its mentioned a few times if you search DW):
    http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drifting-chat/171114-question-all-soarer-drifters.html

I have an auto 1jz, looking at putting a hydro in soon but wouldnt bother if there is a delay factor (other than lag)... i cant test it at the moment as the stock handbrake isnt strong enough.

Do you have an auto soarer and have you a hydro installed?

4. stacky

Anyone else want to comment on this before i buy a hydro!? Cheers

5. gary g

gary g Member

Hey man, mate has an auto drift soarer,he just drives full wack to rhe corner then throws it into 2nd gives it a little flick and puts the foot diwn mid flick, doesnt use hydro at all and hes well able to go in it,hes goin for IDC next year, im building a 180 with 1jz and im using the auto box for now while i save and search for manual conversion, you should tighten up the valves in the auto box it makes it way more responsive, otherwise itl be too soft gearing for driffting,

So to sum up, ya dont need the hydro but plumb it in if you want to have it there incase anyway and tighten up your valves in the autobox.

6. mint

mint touch my fruit

You dont need a Hydro. Sort out your OEM handbrake instead. Also, get a manual box in that bad boy.

Also, Soarer's are awesome. Good job!

7. stacky

@Gary - thanks for that. I know nothing about auto boxes and don’t have a clue how or what valves to tighten! Is it easy to do and what does it do? If you had a link to a how to guide, that would be awesome!
    I take it you have a cage in yours? You mind me asking who put it in and how much? Pm if you like.

@mint – yes they are. This is my second soarer. I had this one 2 years ago that I had a manual conversion done on. I will be doing the same again – I just wont be able to afford it for at least 6-12 months! Meanwhile, its super fun auto time!

8. stacky

I have just been searching an apparantly you can buy an upgraded solenoid and accumilator spring kit from australia which will give more aggressive auto gear changes. - sounds interesting.

Anyone know if these can be bought in the UK?

9. gary g

gary g Member

Il search for a link bit it was more my mate that showed me how its done rather than following an online tutorial,its not hard to do if the gearbox is out and turned upside down as the oil pan has to come off,

10. -jamie-

-jamie- StrongFlex UK

Got a link to that stacky ? I've just built a soarer to do some skids, still auto and the hydro will be in this weekend. My understanding was the delay was with the torque converter. I figured you'd just need to get on the throttle earlier, potentially while still on the handbrake

11. stacky

Shift Kit

Thanks Jamie - your the first man to answer the question! Dont like the idea of loading the box with no-where for the power to go though. Please let me know how it goes and what it's like with the hydro installed once you have done it.

It looks to me like these "shift kits" are new solenoids that jumps the gears more aggressively and doesnt retard the ignition between changes (i always wondered why my last one misfired very slightly (barely feel it) on WOT when changing - obviously its a factory safety thing. I found a how to guide with photos and it looks like and easy job..... but withe the cost and long shipping time, I'm thinking i mite just save my time and money and drive it as is.

12. stacky

@ Gary - did your mate just add washer's / shims to the accumilator springs? If so, any idea on OD and thickness?
    cheers

13. gary g

gary g Member

Ya im pretty sure there 20mm washers il ask how many is needed on each valve

14. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Not a Soarer, I've driven a few cars (and owned one) with shift kits fitted, and while you say byebye to smoothness, it's pretty fucking savage gear changes, I love it, done right they change gear a fuck sight faster than you will manually, in fact they can bang an upshift so hard it can spin the wheels from that alone lol.

15. -jamie-

-jamie- StrongFlex UK

Your not loading the box as such, it's just the same action as a manual. So don't worry about that.
    I love the ignition cut man it's the best bit lol. It's for holding the rpm when it changes gear, makes for a quicker and smoother change. Pretty sure it keeps the boost pressure up as well, stavros might be able to confirm that

So my hydro is all fitted, by the way theres fuck all space with all the auto shift housing bits. I ended up making an upside down L shape bracket on the drivers side of the tunnel. I've not really had a proper skid yet but to be honest the delay isn't that bad at all. I'm at Lydden on the 6th so I'm sure I'll be able to give you better feed back then. I wouldn't go to extent of fucking around with solenoids it's not that bad as far as I can tell.
    I'm interested to see if staying on the throttle or getting back on the throttle as soon as wheels lock makes any differance

#15 -jamie-, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  16. stacky

Excellent, defo report back please! And if you have any in car gopro vids be sure to pm me a link!
    So you mounted the hydro on the drivers side? I was thinking about going for the passo side and having it at an angle. Do you have a build thread at all?

17. -jamie-

-jamie- StrongFlex UK

Will do. I was thinking about doing some sort of thread actually. Problem with the passenger side is its litteraly a foot away lol.
    [​IMG]

18. Anth4130

Anth4130 Member

I had a v8 soarer and had no problems with the hydro

19. -jamie-

-jamie- StrongFlex UK

Here's a video from Lydden 2 days ago, at the end someone span and avoiding action caused me to go backwards which cut the engine. Didn't want to restart until cooling down a bit. Backwards entries in an auto is probably not doable unless you can knock it into neutral in time, maybe

#19 -jamie-, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014