custom sr20det gearbox?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Silviafan, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Silviafan

Silviafan Member

Are there any companies that sell custom gearboxes for the sr20det(s14) ? I found one guy who can make one for me for about 1700 euros (Custom gear ratio, non-synchronous),but i want to see if there are other possibilities. Cant really find anything on google, other than rb swaps..

2. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

Why do you want to spend silly money on a weak gearbox when conversions are readily available ?

3. Silviafan

Silviafan Member

I am looking for proper racing gearboxes not weak ones. I need it for rally and stock gear ratios are shit for that, and stock gearboxes are not made for that abuse. Normal synchronous gearboxes does not really work well in those conditions. My situation would not be much better with an RB or a VQ gearbox.

4. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

You're never going to get better than 1700euro for a dog box with custom ratios, that's a great price.

5. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

There is only so much they can do within the standard casings though, it will obviously be stronger but not quite as good as some conversions.
    Saying that as your looking for a dog box as Stav says, that's a bloody good price.
    The only person I have ever used for a performance gearbox is Gearboxman - home
    Was a good box ( my fiesta turbo many many years ago) but was a little bi on the expensive side IIRC.

6. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

For the power he has, and the use of the car he has, a stock SR20 casing will be fine IMO.

What will fuck it up for him is wrecking the synchros and gears trying to change gear fast (so needs a dog box), and wank gear ratios (so needs custom ratios).

7. Silviafan

Silviafan Member

Yes. Yeah I found some websites, and this 1700euro offer is the cheapest so far, and the man has a good reputation for making very good sti and evo gearboxes so I think I will give it a go.

Thanks

8. Silviafan

Silviafan Member

Yep turns out case is not big enough, was to good to be true. I am looking at S15 6 speed gearboxes, do they fit into s14s ? They might have a slightly more optional gear ratio

9. wyn2k

wyn2k Member

Ye they can be made to fit but they aren't exactly strong, usually people who want 6 speed tend to go for the 350z cd009 box as it has triple synchros