Chaser problem

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by physco, Nov 26, 2014.

1. physco

physco Member

I have a problem with my Chaser. First problem i have had in 3 years of ownership.:nod:

Recently i noticed it would not rev past 4k rpm. It would drive fine up as far as 4k rpm.

Firstly i checked the plugs- They are fine.

I put all back together(plugs, coilpacks) and then removed the ECU-heres where its gets interesting!

I check inside the ECU for leaking capacitors. I found one which had a slight leak. I carefully used a cotton bud to clean the very small residue from the board and put the ECU back together. I havent actually bolted the ECU in it place yet-its just hanging in the footwell.

So i started the car up and its running terrible! Sound like its down a cylinder or 2!

I removed the plugs again and the first 3 were wet and the last 2 were sooted up!

Im at wits end and i have gone back over all that i have done and cant find a problem!

All leads,coils are in the correct order

Can anyone help me out with some ideas?

2. markII

markII Member

Usually if a 1jz won't Rev over 4k and breakdown occurred its plug gaping that is the problem. .6 - .8 gaping is needed. Some plugs come with gapping of .9 1.0 and need adjustment. I'm not saying your ecu is not at fault but from my own experience with the same issue. Never have I had the issue since as I gap every plug since.

3. physco

physco Member

Hi, I think my biggest problem is that the car was idling perfect before i removed the plugs to check them. Now its lumpy and dow a cylinder of 2.

Surely if it was idling ok before i removed the plugs it cant be a gaping issue?

4. markII

markII Member

The connectors on the coil pack sounds like it might be the problem. I replaced all of my connectors also as they get brittle with the heat, little bits break off. you must remember they are 20 years or more old.

5. Pete_the_Russian

Yea man, check inside your coilpack connectors. I replaced mine the other day, and its a good thing I did. They looked ok from the outside and even clipped on fine. However inside the pins were all over the place because the plastic holding them in place has cracked.

6. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Is it a VVTI? As above coil pack clips, then maybe coils. How old/what grade plugs?

7. physco

physco Member

Yes VVTI, i may of discovered something. My battery was dead so i replaced it with the battery from my daily car. The car doesn't seem to be holding charge. If i leave the car on the street with the lights and Air con on the battery light appears and the headlights seem to be getting dull! Could the Alternator be causing the whole problem?

8. Pete_the_Russian

Stick a voltmeter on the battery terminals and see what voltage output youre getting. Should be getting around 14V while engine is running. If youre getting 12V, that means the alternator is not charging.

But saying that, I fired up my JZ last night with no alternator, and it worked fine.