sr20 myths for drifting help

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by spin-king, Dec 18, 2014.

1. spin-king

spin-king Active Member

Ok guys/girls i am after abit of advise please. I read somewere about setting up a sr20 for drifting.

I was going to go with lightwieght pullys and Lightweight Flywheel.

Ive heard the normal its good its bad what are the pros and cons on these please.

Did alittle search for goood sr20 setup for drifting but no luck thankyou.

2. Jites

Jites Active Member

I used both, but only the ancillary pulleys and left the crank one alone. I hear that the crank one should only be replaced with a harmonic dampening type which cost a fair bit.

The pulleys you wont notice at all, the flywheel yes you will. Its easier to rev and feels more responsive. Didn't really notice any negatives tbh. The flywheel is a good upgrade, the pulleys were for looks

3. retro-ed

retro-ed Flicks 'n' Kicks

Light weight pullys are a gimmick.. The reduction in inertia is negligable for the ££. The std pulleys are fine. Save your hard earned for something that will make a difference.

Light weight flywheels are a good mod.. The reduction in mass and inertia for the money is pretty unbeatable and IMO the SR is much better with one fitted. If you are not a retard, there are no cons

4. spin-king

spin-king Active Member

Cheers looks like the advise I was given was very wrong lol

5. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

There is no definitive setup dude, drifting is enevatibly hard on them for obvious reasons. Guages are key in my opinion, as soon as you can see temps starting to rise you can back off, let the oil or water cool down etc and have another go afterwards.

For a standard sub 300hp SR, keeping the temps are the vital bit. Invest in an alloy rad, and an oil cooler if you need it (I never needed an oil cooler but it's different for everyone & what type of tracks you attend).

Regarding pulley's, the generic Powersteering, Waterpump and Altenator pulley's could work but a generic alloy crank pulley is a no no dude. I remember reading about how they don't absorb any harmonic vibrations created internally and thus allow (I want to say bearings here, been a while since I read about them) to wear excessively? Personally, going upon recommendations of people I know with serious SR's, if you want a fresh crank pulley get a replacement OEM or look at an ATI pulley.

Lightweight flywheels are apparently a good change, supposedly meant to make the SR rev a bit "easier", but I'd hold that job off unless either;

The engine is already out
    Or you have to change the clutch/box as it's not essential to making an SR more applicable towards drifting, I ran a standard flywheel on my SR and it rev'd pretty nicely from 800rpm > 7200rpm :)

Edit: Whilst writing an essay I was beaten haha ^^

6. spin-king

spin-king Active Member

The standard clutch is close to the end after buxton at the weekend so makes sense to upgrade the clutch and flywheel. As for pullys I've got a rattle from my Sr so I am going to strip it down to find what it is so again shall uprate what's needed and have the engine ready for a good years drifting. I've got a alloy rad and ordered some hks oil pressure temp and water temp as my water gauge seems to low after converting from a ca. Might invest in a cooler while I am there

7. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

as above. Lightweight flywheel helps the engine rev more freely, however it can make it easier to stall the car if you spin. If you need to change the clutch and can find one cheap its worth fitting. I wouldnt pull a box off just to fit one though.

Lightweight pulleys, complete waste of time and make bugger all difference. Its just another part that you might change and it end up breaking. Wouldnt risk it

8. spin-king

spin-king Active Member

Cheers Jack span alot on sunday stalled everytime lol. clutch is on its last legs so needs changing anyway just need to get the right cluct id rather spend alot once then spend little manytimes

9. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

totally agree with you there. Clutch is in my eyes one of the most important parts for drifting. Youll find a lot of good clutches often come with lightweight flywheels as a package.

10. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

As above, when looking for my new clutch setups I considered Single Plate clutches like OS Giken/ORC/Exedy Hyper Single etc and they all come built with a lightweight flywheel.

I'm running an OS Giken Twin, although it has a lightened flywheel the difference is negligible due to more plates haha.

11. spin-king

spin-king Active Member

Ace one cheers guys

12. stefan

stefan Member

Most pulley kits are slightly different from the stock pulleys in terms of diameter.

the sr waterpump is known to suffer from cavitation at high rpm so there are pulleys out there to under drive them.

same goes for the alternator and power steering, sustained high revs with stock pulleys will kill them a little bit quicker.

as has been said don't consider changing the crank pulley but the others are fair game especially the waterpump pulley.

13. Srs_721

Srs_721 Member

Another vote for lightweight flywheel here, got a xtd paddle and flywheel on mine. Love it!

14. jon1200

jon1200 Active Member

I have a larger water pump pulley on my Sr, and whilst it as apart i also got the flywheel, crank, rods and pulleys balanced. you cant beat a smooth engine :)

15. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

Exedy Hyper Single setup for sale if you go that route, Tony.

16. spin-king

spin-king Active Member

Price? And answer my message on Facebook you swine lol

17. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

£400 for clutch and flywheel setup. The plate is nearly new. I've not been on Facebook for most of the day, I'll go look now.

18. spin-king

spin-king Active Member

Will see after ive bought them wheels

19. docwra

docwra Active Member

Surprised no-one else has mentioned it but despite popular belief, 300hp is plenty as well :thumbs: