3SGTE in an auto RX8

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by delphicwhisky, Jan 23, 2015.

1. delphicwhisky

delphicwhisky New Member

Hello,

I am being offered an auto RX8 that its owner wants to get rid of. The guy's swapped in a Toyota 1G-FE with VVTi right now. However, if I do get it, I'll be putting in a 3SGTE.

Will the original gear box be able to take the increased torque? Or should I use another auto transmission from the auto 3SGTE? Will there be any issues I might run into by mating the Toyota tranny like fitment etc.? Also, are the paddle shifters easy to work with after a swap? I would like to retain this.

In a nutshell, I'd like to hear from anyone with any idea regarding the things to keep in mind by choosing to swap in an auto RX8 instead of a manual one.

Thank you.

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

So the guy has fitted a 1G-FE to the standard RX8 auto box?

How has he got all the CANbus electrics to work?

3. hoagy5

hoagy5 Member

The 3SGTE won't like standing vertical as it is meant to be installed on a slant (transverse). However I have a 3S (from RWD BEAMS 3SGE) sump and pickup pipe if you need one which would overcome the problem.

4. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

As Hoagy says, it needs to sit upright.. It sits on the piss in a Celica & MR2.. Only Altezza stuff is upright rwd format..
    Iv got all the Aux components to make a 3sgte sit upright for RWD format.. Literally everything..
    Sump Assy, Engine mount brackets, Alternator, Starter Motor, Pas pump, and a load of other parts..
    Make an offer for the lot if you're interested..:thumbs:

5. delphicwhisky

delphicwhisky New Member

@Stavros

Yes, it's mated to the standard auto box. It works on a dual ECU setup. I've previously owned a 1JZ RX8 and all the electronics use the RX8 ECU while the engine uses its own ECU.

@hoagy5 and @dale_b

I'd love to make this easier by picking parts up from you but unfortunately I reside in Pakistan and that would make it an issue :(

I'd ideally like to use the W58 but since that is a transverse gearbox, I don't know what my options are. There's a guy locally who put in a 3SGTE in a RWD Corolla. I'll ask him what his input is on this. Till then, I'd appreciate if you guys could guide me with this since its going to be my first time. For the 1JZ, it was far easier.