s14 wont rev past 4K under load

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by alan.m, Feb 1, 2015.

1. alan.m

alan.m New Member

Hi guys new to the forum and new to the 200sx, it has developed hesitation after 1800rmp and will not rev past 4k when under load no mater what gear, When revs are applied in neutral it will rev to 6k but no further? a brief description on what i have done.
    I had recently purchased a s14 200sx sr20det 1996 everything was good for the first few days then there was a noise coming from the top end it slowly got worse, anyway long story short it was my vct gear or vvt not sure on its correct name but since i have replaced the unit myself, my timing is all set correct along with the CAS i think thats the name i know it as a cam angle sensor, i set this at the angle stated in the manual (this is diffrent to what the original owner had it) so could this be my issue? i have also removed a apexi safc2 im assuming the car never came with this standard and should run ok without? unfortunately i did both at the same time and now im a little stuck as to what to do now, do you guys think this could be related the parts i have moved or removed or could it be something completely diffrent that has just happend to happen at the same time?
    As far as im aware its a standard ecu, nismo 550cc inj, standard turbo running 1 bar the car ran ok (ish) before removing safc2 and changing the vct gear?
    Any advice would be brilliant
    Cheers Alan

2. Leno

Leno Member

You wanna set the cas up with a timing gun mate, changing the vvt gear shouldnt limit the revs at all! What sort of limit is it? If Its a hard cut could it be that its now over boosting and hitting fuel cut?

3. sgt_raffie

sgt_raffie Member

I would say it`s becouse You removed the SAFC and messed up Your fueling this way. Standard ECU (not re-mapped) won`t run 550cc injectors. You need to swap injectors for std, re-install SAFC or get propper mapping done (if You are running bigger boost You don`t want to put the 370cc back in),

#3 sgt_raffie, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  4. alan.m

alan.m New Member

It's like fuel cut but no where near as aggressive you can can hear the turbo spin up but it's not smooth delivery and no matter what gear it just won't go past 4k, or past 6k in neutral the timing was all set to the manual but the cas is now in a different position To where the original owner had it? Not sure if I can get hold of of a timing light atm I'll have a ask about.
    I managed to find a stock set of injectors so I think I'm going to try that route the car is currently running 14psi what is the standard boost? as I can soon change it (has a manual boost controller)
    Cheers for your help so far guys
    Alan

5. David Reid

David Reid RB30 Charger

It's never going to run right with 550cc injectors on a standard ecu. The safc was previously correcting the fuelling, you have removed it and f'cked it, you have probably also now lost all the settings.

Either refit the safc or fit standard injectors

6. alan.m

alan.m New Member

Ok so i have now fittted the stock injectors and lowered the bost and i still have what seems to be worse hesitation now? its not limited to 4k though and only seems to hesitate in the lower rpm's.
    is there any way of telling if the ecu has been mapped or not? (dont have a cable or software yet)
    the car still idles around 1500rpm when cold and 1000rpm when warm? could this be the CAS timing? i dont have a timing light?

Cheers Alan