Aftermarket exhaust - S13

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by erykmedykowski, Feb 27, 2015.

1. erykmedykowski

erykmedykowski New Member

Hey, so I recently just bought my S13 - it came with a 3 inch aftermarket exhaust (unsure of brand).
    Now since I'm a beginner I need to know a few things before I break anything :wack:

So I got the exhaust on, it's a bolt on and there was two parts to it (didn't include downpipe). I never got gaskets with it, so here's where I'm getting all confused.

Do I need to put a gasket between each component? I just bought two HKS 3 inch gaskets, as the exhaust is a three inch and my other gasket was ripped and old. So now, should I have a gasket between the two components that I got? one of them is the silencer, and the other one is the cat. Should I have a gasket between them? I know I should have one between the downpipe, but the downpipe hole is most likely too small, does this mean I need to get a 3 inch downpipe? I wouldn't have a problem with that - but then when I install the downpipe, at the top of it, will it fit onto wherever that connects up to? (sorry I'm a beginner). Basically I'm asking if I need a gasket between every component? and if I get a new downpipe, will the three inch connect up to whatever that's connected up to? and will I need a gasket for that?

Thanks for any help and sorry about the noobiness.

2. miffy

miffy Member

Gasket for elbow to turbo , for the rest if you don't have access to the gaskets just use any gasket gluey shit . If it blows after the lamber it don't really matter but it will sound gay obviously

#2 miffy, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  3. erykmedykowski

I was meaning exhaust gaskets - like for the cat and silencer bits. I have used sealer although it does blow at high revs

4. miffy

miffy Member

It doesn't matter if it blows at them bit but if it's blowing and your asking how to stop it I presume your flanges are warped too shit , try get the machined flat or put up with it lol

5. erykmedykowski

All I know is that it didn't do it when I had my stock exhaust on, and when I put my 3 inch aftermarket one on, at high revs its like .. the car just spits and doesn't rev higher, then it stops and revs more then does it again?

6. miffy

miffy Member

unless it's blowing before the lamba it won't cause that to happen , it sounds like boosts spiking and it's fuel cutting , nothing todo with gaskets , have you got a standard s13 and put a 3inch straight through onit ?