VAG ignition coil conversion project! - Have your vote!

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by TnF, Mar 18, 2015.

1. TnF

TnF Member

Greetings Driftworks members. It has been a long time since i last posted here but i'm happy to announce a small project i've been working on since so many people were interested about it.
    In the last 6 months i've been active in the "CA18DET Motor Enthusiasts" facebook group where i posted initially my work on the successful conversion of my 200SX CA18DET to VAG (VW group) ignition coils.
    More specifically to the now famous "Audi R8" ignition coils which are one of the limited good ignition system upgrades you can perform on a CA18DET engine. While i will include the details below, to keep this short, I basically developed a complete PnP (Plug and Play) ignition conversion system of which i am willing to do a batch manufacture for other enthusiasts.
    For this reason i am conducting a poll to see how many people are interested so i can proceed with the project by calculating the final cost per item so that we can ideally go ahead and make this a reality (kinda like a group buy).

But first, here is my original post. It covers most of the details and some of my personal background, and I definitely recommend that you first have a read so you can understand what this is all about:

2. TnF

TnF Member

Continued:

3. TnF

TnF Member

Continued:
    Since the above post I have talked with a business advisor, and he was extremely happy with my plan and my financial awareness, so i guess it shouldn't be too difficult for me to pull this off. We now have over 15 people interested in the PnP CA18DET VAG coil conversion harness.
    What i'm asking at this stage is for people which are genuinely interested in this, to go ahead and cast their vote to this poll. There is no commitment at this stage! If you want one of these products to come to life and in the end at your hands, please give your vote. The more people are interested, the lower price will be per item. Simple as that.
    You can vote at this link here!!!: VAG coil products poll for CA18det Motor Lovers - Poll
    You can select multiple choices depending on your needs. There is also an option for other Nissan engines (SR, RB, KA) since i had people suggesting it, and while i don't have a prototype for that it will be easy to make.

If you want to join the facebook group you can do it here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/113199723523/
    If you have problems joining (because it is a closed group to prevent spammers) or want to contact me personally pm me here or at my facebook here:
    https://www.facebook.com/ken.gnk

If you have any suggestions or questions please leave them here! Thanks to all!

------------
    For moderators: If you believe i've posted this in the wrong category please let me know so we can move it! Thanks!
    ------------

4. NORFY

NORFY Active Member

running the the vag TT 1.8t coil packs on my sr. it was a very easy conversion and worthwhile if you want something cheaper than splitfires.

i didnt need to use a driver, just bypassed the nissan ignitior btw.

they sit much nicer on a sr20, you can almost get the plug cover back on in its factory place. they were too long on a ca though and in all honesty i would be afraid of water getting down the plug holes causing issues.

if youre going to produce these kits then its worth doing ca and sr as theres not a great deal of difference and the sr is more common here

[​IMG]

#4 NORFY, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  5. TnF

TnF Member

yes i know, if you read the post i do bypass the stock ignito. The driver module is only need with E-Manage/Megasquirt or any other ecu which don't have powerful enough drivers for these low input impedance coils. Stock ecu/nistune/chipped/daughterboard is fine.

yes i know this, but you can get shorter vag coils which only raise the cover by about 10mm. However these are the best ones you can use and i do mention the details in the "article" above :p I wouldn't worry much about water since i run them like this the whole winter when i was back in Cyprus with no problems. This is because this design insulates the electrode and grounds the body directly to the spark plug hex head. Haven't tested it but it would be a lot more difficult than the stock ignition coils to short them out. Plus you can always go and make a cover if you want to, but still you would need to run an o-ring all around the cover for proper sealing with the CA18:p

That's why i give that option in my poll, because it will be easy to make and because i had people suggest it. I wonder is there anyone else producing ready made conversion harnesses for SR other than Z-power? :p

6. TnF

TnF Member

7. TnF

TnF Member

Small update: Haltech ecu's are confirmed to support driving of these coils directly too which means you only require the PnP harness for the conversion.

8. TnF

TnF Member

Another update! I have reached 10 orders and have now started ordering the materials needed for manufacturing of the harnesses. Some more places available:
    [​IMG]

9. Tommorris256

Tommorris256 Member

Hi, what is the pro's and cons of this upgrade to an RB25DET SPEC1? im guessing it can be done? what is involved to do it etc? regards, Tom.