I'm looking to get back into drifting, Anyone Know about Merc engines and gearboxes ?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Robbs, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

Hello chaps, I've been away from the scene for 3 years now due to family etc, now wanting to get back into drifting and will be getting a car in the next couple of months, been stuggling to decide on a car but really fancy a Merc C32 AMG, these are only available with slush boxes but C320's and C240's which are available with Manual gearboxes have the same engine code (M112) as the C32, does that mean that the manual box will fit the C32 ? if so that is the absolute clincher I will get one, unless anyone knows of a reason why it cant be done ?

cheers :thumbs:

2. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

Just been told on a MB forum that the gearbox fits straight on but the ECU goes into limp mode without the auto box, anyone know how that would be solved ?

3. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Not easily, my old c class auto have an ecu for the gearbox that communicated to the main ecu, as after 96 they are canbus.

Unfortunately because most people want them because their autos there really aren't any manual conversions.

You'd need to make the gearbox ecu think it's receiving all the relevant signals, which when I had to fix me, looks like a right cunt. Hell it used to lock the car in safe mode if the damm battery wasn't at a perfect voltage.

Only problem I can see is getting a clutch/flywheel combo that will fit and take the power of the supercharged lump.

Somehow I think a c32 will be a massive headache, I love mercs but they were made in the very worst years and are riddled with rust and electrical problems.

Hell a few months ago I went to look at a clk320 and I've never seen a 2000+ car so damm rotten, every single panel has severe rust, and half the gadgets didn't work. Most the others I looked weren't much better.

Personally I'd look at the older shapes, like stavs old 230k. Or go 05+ when they started making good cars again

4. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

Yeah sounds like it could be tricky, just 350bhp with a supercharger for £4k sounds too good.

Fella on MB forum says you can get the C32 map burnt on the C320 ecu, I don't know where to go to get that done and the cost involved though.

5. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

or rip out the stock ecu and fit something else. bypassing the limp home mode altogether

6. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

Yeah was wondering about an aftermarket ecu, again the fella on MB forum says it's an option but you lose a bunch of functions, if it's just gadgetry then I don't care.

7. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

yeah it will be just gadgets