Fao; people with a v8 swapped s14

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Leno, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Leno

Leno Member

As per title, I'm after anyone that has either done the work themselves, or got a garage to do it. I'd rather not have any second hand knowledge please!

My s14a currently has a few issues, mainly being it's never ran 'right' since I got it, I expect due to the oil jets blocking up in the past the cams have become badly worn (I have checked everything else, and have a spare head ready to go on!) It also ideally needs a new engine/ecu loom due to it being chopped about quite a bit.

My vision was always a v8 s14, however after years of messing about with cars I cannot be arsed to undergo the swap myself, and would rather not have to source/transport/store another car for the engine/parts. Are their any garages out there that can do the whole deal for me? And if so; what sort of money am I looking at?

Any other info would be appreciated!

This is only me brainstorming ideas currently! Obviously it's going to need money spent on it either way (I would also like it around stage one before I'm happy with it while sticking to an sr) but by getting the sr to a level I'm happy with I may have spent close to what I'd need for a v8 swap!

Many thanks chaps

2. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

Well it depends what V8 you go for as a ls1 or 2 or going to be upto 5 times more than a 1uz tho Iirc they run 280hp to start with.

The main problem with 1uz's are is getting a gearbox s they only did that engine as a auto plenty of options but budget about a grand may be cheaper if you used your stock s14 gearbox with the adaptor plates.

Then the next problem with v8s is routing the exhuast header around the steering column.

Other than that it's easy to put a 1uz is easy enough you will need the prop re worked a little, it's 6-10 wires to get the car to run, you might need a oil filter relocation kit.

3. docwra

docwra Active Member

Go on SXOC, contact Ken, he can give you some infos :)

4. Benzo

Benzo Member

Bmw v8 is the common swap, speak to sunset drift team [emoji106] they are on Facebook.

5. kieran_e1

kieran_e1 In need of practice

the cheapest ls conversion possible is gonna set you back at least 10k if you are getting a garage to do it. Dyno torque put ls series engines into everything and last time i checked were around 7k plus the cost of an engine ( £4500 upwards )

you can buy a kit for putting an ls into an s body that has everything you need and the stock ecu only runs off 3 wires so DIY is not that hard and less than half the cost.

plus you are better to look to the US or australia if you are going for an ls as they are more common and cheaper even after shipping and tax. i am less than 2500 delivered for my next ls1

6. Leno

Leno Member

Yeah an LS coversion isnt on the cards! sorry i should have put that! Cheers for the help so far chaps, i shall send Team sunset (which id heard of, but wasnt 100% sure they still did it/existed!) and i shall contact Ken.

7. zornyan

zornyan Guest

How about do you import one kieran? I've actually got a couple family-friends that moved out there, but it's kinda hard to just say "find this engine and pop it in the post" lol

8. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

Ken must have going on 20k

Even a bmw or 1uz your going to be talking 5k+ drive in drive out.

9. Leno

Leno Member

Yeah that's what I was expecting I have read a build of a car done by sunset, I think they charged 2k with a donor car ect.. that was a while ago so the price will have gone up..

10. kieran_e1

kieran_e1 In need of practice

he wishes lol

i've got a contact in the US i used before and one is AUS i'll be using next time that are registered breakers, they pallet them up and fire them over, you need to collect from a bonded depot or port when you've paid tax. you get 7 days to do that before they start charging more fees.

11. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

Not a bmw person not all if it's just later cars but they seem to have a awful lot of electrics doing all sorts why i used a reworked 1uz but with added turbo goodness.

Minus the 350z box the 1uz is very easy as conversions go. I've heard people buying ls400 damaged for a few hundred selling a few parts they don't need and getting pretty much all the cash back and using the stock box it's cost around a grand but they did all the work.

12. Benzo

Benzo Member

Stock box on a 1uz is auto.. Who wants that!!

2k for a v8 conversion is brilliant! I paid £1800 for my 540i manual with 80k and a manual box alone will set you back 6-800quid.

13. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

Should have made it clearer i mean the stock s14 5 manual box

14. Leno

Leno Member

I have done engine swaps before but only like for like, so the actual labour bit would be fine for me. The only worry i have is electronics. Sideslide- i assume you used the lexus ecu/key ect?

If theres someone on here that would be willing to store my car/a donor car + give me a hand with the swap i would be willing to look into that. I would rather just give the car to someone and tell them to sort it, but obviously id like to do it as cheaply as possible so would be willing to help/do the labour bit!

15. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

n/a stock internals 1UZ in a S14 will suck ball.
    May as well just stick with an SR over that IMO.

BMW 4ltr+ V8 isn't too bad idea if can do it cheap.

16. Leno

Leno Member

whys that? the power/torque figures dont look too bad.. main issue ive seen with the bmw v8 is the mapping/electrical shit. Ive read something about them having a 5k limiter without certian things?

17. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Peak numbers aren't everything.

They're too flat and un-revvy with the stock cams unless you add forced induction or a turbo to go to the effort of swapping one IMO.

And 'V8' means nothing, it's only 4ltr so its not as if its got mountains of tyre smoking torque.

18. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

I got mine running on a standalone due to cams and turbos, but i had it on the stock ecu at first some could move it around was really easy to wire the ecu in.

Speak to nav at f1 moto/ drift moto he's done a fair few 1uz both turbo and na like stav says a few easier mods really make it sing.

19. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I had one with big cams and ITBs, in a car lighter than a S14, and IMO it still sucked.

In something silly light like a 340 or AE86 yeah, a 1UZ is a winner, but otherwise it'd have to be forced induction or a mega high comp motor at the very least for a 'normal' weight car.

Even 10odd years ago when Steve Dunn put a 1UZ in to a S13 (a stripped, light, S13) he was massively dissapointed and sold/broke the car soon after. And things have moved on since then.

The 1UZ is an amazing engine, better than the BM engine when doing something bigtime, but stockish, it's really nothing worthwhile IMO.

20. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Lol I remember that, didn't he get really pissed off after losing to a 306 or something in a straight line? I rremember it was some hot hatch at the time, left him massively disappointed.

For ease and cheapness just chuck a bm v8 in, get a pre vanos engine and it's as simple as any other v8 wiring wise.