Sr20det starter motor hitting flywheel

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by oo7, Apr 21, 2015.

1. oo7

oo7 Member

Need some help and info guy had my auto electrician round yesterday to finish off the wiring on my bmw e30 sr20det swap we went to spin the engine over and the stater was making a terrible noise took it out and tested all fine working as it should engine turns over by hand no problem looked in the hole and can see it has hit the back of the flywheel left a mark like it's going in to far and not engaging the teeth will post up a pic later need to know are there different types of start motors for the s14 and s14A the engine is a vvt but not sure if it's a s14 or 14A one but I got sold a tall engine with flywheel then I sourced a Sr starter motor for it need help guys

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 oo7, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  2. diamondsink

diamondsink Kyouto Drift

What flywheel is it? All rwd sr20det should have the same starters.

3. oo7

oo7 Member

It looks a standard flywheel it was on the engine when I picked it up and the Sr clutch I had to source for the build seems to fit it fine ??

4. oo7

oo7 Member

Has anyone got a standard flywheel they can give me the measurements off and how many teeth it has on it so I can compare with the one fitted to my engine ???

5. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

Do you have the thin sandwich plate between the gearbox and engine?

Other than that, I'd say try a diff starter

6. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

I would have gone for that but you can see it in the picture.

7. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

Oh yea, of course it is. I'd go with another starter.

8. oo7

oo7 Member

Thanks guys that's the next step took the flywheel off checked and counted all the teeth and size of the flywheel that checked out ok so going to try a different starter motor once I get hold of one will let you all no the outcome

9. oo7

oo7 Member

Fitted a starter today off drift bits done the job turning the car over fine now shame the first starter that i bought off a fellow member on here as fully working was bollox real shame the for sale page is getting so bad on here now been done over about 3-4 times on parts that are said to be fully working and there not but hay that's seems to be the norm now days at least I've got it right now.