E36 m3 Carbon airbox copies

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by BoiRacer91, Apr 26, 2015.

1. BoiRacer91

BoiRacer91 New Member

Just converted my touring to an s50b30 running alpha N and individual stacks with filters. [​IMG]
    However they seem to be really restrictive as took them off and went for a drive and it feels completely different so just wondering if anyone has any experience of these type of plenums.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any help will be much appreciated

2. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Most owners seem to say the cheap ones give a good enough noise, but lose power, you should just get some larger filters, mainly you'll be losing torque by using open filters, but should gain throttle response and a bit top end.But in the picture provided, the filters look tiny.

3. BoiRacer91

BoiRacer91 New Member

Thanks for your input zornyan. That's what I was thinking. I wasn't sure if I should get bigger filters or pay out for one of these boxes. I don't really want to lose any power as that was the whole reason I put an m3 lump in haha

4. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Completely understand, what seems to be good results are.

Fit and E46m3 crank pulley as it slightly underdriven.
    Remap including remapping the vanos (has its own map file only a few tuners can do it but claim 20 odd ftlb of torque)
    And a decent breathing air filter.

Honestly just get some better size filters for it and take it from there mate.

5. BoiRacer91

BoiRacer91 New Member

Never knew about the e46 crank pulley. I'll look at it now. Just looked mate and some people say don't run it with a ltw flywheel which I am running. Does it actually do any damage to the crank?? [emoji106] yeah spoke to Enda tuning about it but never got it done. May look again at it as don't think it was too much.
    For the filters it's hard find some the right size and to have an internal structure. As heard horror stories of using foam filter socks on itbs and sucking them in [emoji107]

#5 BoiRacer91, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  6. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Cheapo ones yes, but that could happen with any filter, just keep s good eye on them, and make sure your undertray is fitted to stop water getting splashed up and soaking the foam.

Flywheels are fine, but you have done the big end shells and arp rod bolts right? Definitely needed when using high rpms frequently.

7. BoiRacer91

BoiRacer91 New Member

So something like pipercross or Ramair filters should be ok?? Better get one of them then as not got one fitted haha.

Yes mate. Done that before fitting the engine. Luckily caught them before it started knocking. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Been a great help pal. Thank you

8. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Brilliant mate, pipercross seem to have been used in a few m3s with good reviews and no problems reported for open filters.

Either that or go back to an oem airbox.

9. BoiRacer91

BoiRacer91 New Member

Sweet bud I'll look at them [emoji106] haha can't do that as sold it [emoji107] whoops