Small engine upgrade - am i missing something?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Jais, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Jais

Jais Member

PS13 - SR20DET Red Top Small engine upgrade - am i missing something?

Hi everyone.

[​IMG]

I'm currently finnishing up my engine project PS13 SR20DET Red top which is intended for trackday and fast street car. At some point i want to swap over to a blacktop with a stroker kit but for now my SR20DET Redtop is what i'm working with :)

What i have purchased and partly installed/inprogress:
    Walbro 255 lph
    555 Nismo Injectors
    Garret GT2871R
    Greddy Intercooler
    Megasquirt 3 Pro
    Vw Coilpacks
    3 Bar Map sensor
    Complete custom harness with new oem connectors
    Driftworks rocker-arm stoppers
    ZRP Headgasket
    ARP head bolts and studs
    Japspeed Turbo Elbow
    Japspeed Downpipe
    Japspeed De-cat

I'm wondering if i'm gonna be restricted alot by the original intake/exhaust manifolds? I see alot of people going for these upgrades aswell.

What kind of figures would you expect to see from a setup like this? And am i missing anything crucial in my part lists engine wise?

EDIT:
    Updated with new downpipe and turbo elbow order

#1 Jais, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  2. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

yes the turbo elbow and downpipe will be a restriction. no the manifolds wont

3. Jais

Jais Member

Thanks for the feedback, can you recommend any bolt-on replacement parts?

#3 Jais, Apr 27, 2015
  4. holdawayt

holdawayt Member

I might be wrong but would a Z32 AFM be worthwhile or does the Megasquirt do away with that?

5. Jais

Jais Member

I actually did that upgrade and nistune aswell but gonna be running a 3 bar map sensor with the ms3 pro :)

I just ordered a new japspeed turbo elbow and downpipe, so that's on the way now aswell :)

#5 Jais, Apr 27, 2015
  6. Bozu

Bozu Member

Given the turbo you plan on using I would:
    - Add a set of Tomei pon cams;
    - Add a FPR;
    - Change injectors to 740cc to give some more head room for future mods.

Also what size turbo housing are you running 0.64?

#6 Bozu, Apr 27, 2015
  7. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

and why would he need an FPR when he has standalone ?

8. Jais

Jais Member

Hi thanks for the feedback, yeah it's with .64 housing.

From my calculations the 555 injectors should be ok up to 400hp with 90% usage but i could be wrong? ( https://cdn.rawgit.com/JaisEdelmann/carcalculator/master/default.html )

To be honest i was not expecting to hit a number higher then 400hp on the dyno, because of the stock internals :)

I want a really responsive engine so i dont want to many degress on the cams - do you have any details on the cams?

Stock cams not ok for the setup im running? ( i dont want to much peak power but rather a more wide powerband )

#8 Jais, Apr 27, 2015
  9. Bozu

Bozu Member

Obviously because of the bling factor and 50+hp gain!

No, in my opinion/understanding because of the following reasons:
    - Old OEM probably has a lot of miles on it and given the fact he is building a relatively serious engine the fuel system should be up to spec.
    - To raise base fuel pressure and help atomize the fuel injected to create better idle characteristics because of the larger injectors.
    - Based on the 555 injectors a higher fuel pressure might be required to prevent them maxing out. (obviously not the correct way, 740cc would be better)

But I like to learn so please correct me if I'm wrong!

10. Bozu

Bozu Member

I'm actually building a very similar engine set-up only difference is I'm going with 740cc injectors, forged internals and a t28r turbo (to start with).

My advice is predominantly based on (internet)research on people with similar set-ups

Depending on which online calculator you use on the internet you will get in the 550-600cc injector range especially when you are aiming for 400whp which is even more at the crank. Based on this plus my own research I would suggest 740cc's. In addition I've also contacted several tuners that all suggested the same.

With regards to the cams;
    The pon cams are straight drop-ins (256º) and are in my opinion a very good match with your turbo's characteristics. They free up the mid and top range while not sacrificing to much in the lower range. Also because your turbo is already a bit more laggy than a t28r or a disco potatoe.

As a side note I'm not sure what you mean with really responsive engine. From what rpm level you want boost? I'm not sure to what extent 400whp (say 450-500hp at the crank) combines with really responsive.

Again, eager to learn so please correct me if I'm wrong!

#10 Bozu, Apr 27, 2015
  11. Jais

Jais Member

I'm not aiming for 400whp or 450-500hp :) I dont reckon a gt2871r will be able to push out enough air for 450-500hp on a 2 liter engine especially with .64 housing but maybe im wrong? It's a 743347-5004S :)

According to driftworks the standard FPR will work fine with the uprated walbro fuel pump i bought and it's running fine now with nistune 555 injectors and the walbro fuelpump and z32 maf - of course the nistune will go on the self together with the z32 maf :)

#11 Jais, Apr 27, 2015
  12. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

Unless you get a fpr. Your 555's will fall flat on their face at about 360bhp.
    Even then. I personally would not try for 400 on 555's. 740's or bigger will suffice on stock fuel pressure.

You don't need cams. But for your spec 256's will work well. Manifolds don't not need changing either, they will suffice.

13. Jais

Jais Member

Hi Yogi,

Thanks for the feedback it's much appreciated. What lift should i be aiming at on the cams ? aprox 12mm? is 400+ safe for the engine with the mods i have? (headgasket and bolts + driftworks rocker-arm stopper?)

14. enginebuilder

enginebuilder Active Member

Normally with camshafts with a larger lift over 9.5 requires head work. So unless your trying to make small gains over 600 hp just stick with your standard cams or go for a set of pon cams, which drop right in and work well. And as for your 3 bar map sensor. Don't be surprised if it maxes out at 1.5 bar as 99 percent of them do.if it's rated 3 bar it normally works within half this range. Not that 21 psi ain't enough fun :) 4 to 600 hp is piss easy to obtain with just pon cams one fuel pump forged
    pistons/rods/bolts and and good management.

15. enginebuilder

And yer off your list there are two crucial mods left out well three really. Pistons rods and bearings. You don't have to use rods you can use oem just replace the rod bolts for arp. But if you don't do any of this I can see your engine giving up well before 400 hp on an Sr mate. But that's just my opinion.feel free to correct me chaps. Sr engines on standard internals don't last long on raised boost levels (14 -16 psi) hope this helps.

16. Jais

Jais Member

Thanks for the feedback i dont intend to max out the map sensor though :) But it is motorsport quality purchase from Gunnar aaskov motorsport (not ebay :)) so i would assume it will do fine for my little setup :)

Great to hear regarding the shafts - i will leave it stock for now we will see if a set of pon cams will be added later but will probaly save that for a different engine :)

17. Jais

Jais Member

Hmm from what i've been able to research, i havent come to the conclusion that its need'd to open up the block to replace pistons etc for this setup? This is my first Nissan so ofcourse i might be wrong, but it seems alot of people are running similiar setups without changing internals.

Either case i wont be swapping out the internals as I would go ZRP stroker kit if anything (which i will save for a blacktop engine with VVT) :)

18. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

Stock sr's WILL do 400... Just be aware that you are taking the piss out of it somewhat and don't expect it to last 100,000 miles.

My last sr performed beautifully at around 400bhp. Stock motor with hks head gasket, hks 264 cams and a gt3071r

19. Jais

Jais Member

Oh yeah its a project car, so i'm not expecting it to go 100.000 after beeing pushed :p However i would of course like it to last for a few trackdays and some fun weekends over the next 1-2 seasons.

So the conclusion it seems is to stay on my 555 injectors. See where i end up after mapping with the current setup and take it from there - no reason to get bigger injectors for a few hp rather just run a little less boost and have some fun and save the money for a blacktop project with stroker kit :)

Thanks for all the feedback guys, ill be sure to post back with a few pictures etc. onces we get going. The harness is currently in project and i'm telling you its gonna be kickass :)

:dw:

20. enginebuilder

Sensible chap!! Good luck with it :)