Redtop sr advice

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by insane 200, May 22, 2015.

1. insane 200

insane 200 Jonin Level Drifter

Hey Ya'll,

After breaking my Drift car ive imported an s-body with redtop SR.

Dont really know a massive amount about sr apart from they sound poo. Still considering putting my RB and box in the car but even with the engine, gearbox and clutch already owned its looking like around another 700 quid to fit running stock powers.
    Seems better financially to stick with the SR and spend the money the conversion would cost on improving the SR.

Anything in particular that is a weak point for these engine?
    Also why do people bum them so much, surely they are just non vvt blacktops!?
    What are peoples recommendations on tuning them.

I'll still be drifting the car but wont be doing drift passenger rides everymonth so car wont have to deal with low speed high rpm driving all day.
    Car is mostly an occasional weekend car with few drift days here and there.

cheers for reading

Cole

2. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

Everybody just jumps on the band wagon that Non-VVT SR's instantly sound better which is just a load of scene crap.

Anyhow, what power level are you looking for dude? The engines tend to get weak at the knees around the 400 mark, with the box being the same. If you want a solid 350/370 then just go down the 28/71 .64 route with 740 injectors, Z32 AFM and a nice map from Protuner or MB Automotive using a Nistune ECU or similar.

You could always sell the RB25 and convert the SR to use the RB25 box which is pretty simple to do :)

My advice would be to go with the engine you know the most about, and you can always take advantage of the Straightcam/Non-VVT SR scene tax to earn a pennies :)

3. insane 200

insane 200 Jonin Level Drifter

Cheers for the reply dude and sweet car :)

I'll be keeping the rb gearbox for sure. sold the one i had fitted and this was a minter i was saving for if i killed my other one so regardless of engine i'll be putting my box on.
    Power wise ive never had more than 330 in my r33 so that in an s-body will feel miles quicker.
    I prefer reliablity over power anyhow so generally spend more money on cooling mods and genuine gaskets , many oil changes over big power shizzle.

I know rb's pretty well but its weighing up the hassle and cost of doing a conversion into a car that already has a relatively decent engine in that costs less than fix.