T28 instant bearing failure?!? Most probable causes?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by GethinD, Jul 1, 2015.

1. GethinD

GethinD [][][][][][][][][][]

After 6 months and ££££ spent on the S13 over the spring i took her out for her first practice day since building it up.

The T28 i fitted was a genuine Garrett from a 14, the turbo itself was mint and had no shaft play whatsoever.

Had a good morning out getting to grips with the car / layout / surface / conditions.

A couple of times the car just lost boost and bogged down then after a little cool down time it would come back to life.
    In the afternoon i went back out and completed around 4 laps then lost boost again, this time with a loud metal on metal noise.

On pulling into the pits i found that the bearings on the turbo had completely collapsed and the shaft was flapping around completely lose and the noise was coming from the exhaust wheel hitting the housing.

I've never experienced this type of failure before, only ever seals.

There was no smoke whatsoever, even after the bearings collapsed and i limped it home. No smoke.
    Am i looking at oil starvation being the most probable cause?
    If so, what are the most common causes?
    I don't want to buy another turbo and have that fail after 50 miles again!
    Ps. I am running braided lines.

Thanks

2. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Possible oil starvation, some braided lines have restrictions in them designed for ball bearing turbos which would kill a journal bearing.

If it was starvation I'd expect engine damage as well. Either bores or bearings, need to see what the oil pressure is like.

Finally I've had it before a good turbo going bad quick, they don't like being removed and sat with no oil in them, and unless you primed the turbo before fitting (pour oil in feed and spin turbo by hand) then it could have been run dry for a few seconds causing the damage.

3. GethinD

Pretty sure this turbo had been sat for quite some time, and no, i didn't prime it before hand so I'm thinking this might have been the case

4. C35Rob

C35Rob Member

As above, maybe a restrictor, either way all of the shit (the bearing material) will have made its way down the return line into your sump, if you driven it you will probably have fucked shells soon too, change the oil before running the engine again.

5. liamjrhodes

liamjrhodes Member

As said it sounds like oil starvation, check for blocks in the line and banjo bolt and check it's not a restricted one

6. GethinD

Okay then, I'll whip the turbo off, crank the motor to check for oil pressure and give it a thorough oil & filter change.

Whilst I'm on about it, does anyone know if the Pulsar T28 has a smaller exhaust housing that would potentially spool up quicker?

Only reason i ask is I'm finding the S14 T28 quite laggy on my CA and would like to get something more responsive that's still a direct fit and doesn't break the bank!!

7. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Bigger, much much bigger.

a/r .86

8. GethinD

Just the man! What turbo should i be looking at? Or given my requirements should i just stick to an S14 T28?

9. Leno

Leno Member

I've always thought a 25 was much more suited to a ca?