Diff experts

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by initial_j, Aug 1, 2015.

1. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

Righto,need some advice (from people that know what they're talking about no guessing please)

currently have an altezza with a stock factory lsd. Locks up ok, but ok isn't good enough

it has a 3.9 ratio. I also have a rare as shit 4.4 ratio lsd but aparantly it whines a bit.

could I get it shimmed up so it locks up like a 2 way? If so anyone know anywhere in the south?

hoping someone could also sort out whatever it is that's whining at the same time.

The other option is I have an open diff, could fit the bit that makes it 4.4 ratio (someone help me here I can't remember the name of the internals!) and then weld it up?

2. Bagpuss

Bagpuss Member

The ratios will just be down to the crown and pinion gear. In theory the gears should bolt up to the stock open diff, though if the LSD in question is an aftermarket brand it isn't guaranteed. As for shimming the diff I thought all Lexus ones were viscous diffs, not sure they can be made to act like a two way, though I could be wrong on that.

What you can do is change the fluid in the viscous diff, go for some 80w140 diff oil, should help a bit.

Edit: The other option, if you're really keen, is to find and fit a bigger thrust washer. Did a bit of reading here: http://z4.invisionfree.com/lexusaltezzaclub/index.php?showtopic=946&st=50&#entry11457398

3. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

Cheers dude. Sounds like easiest option will be to get the open diff welded and the crown and pinion put into it, if it fits

#3 initial_j, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015