e36 clutch issues

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by spaniel, Aug 1, 2015.

1. spaniel

spaniel bigballs small brain

I fitted a new clutch a few weeks ago and trailered the car to Buxton, first run out and as soon as the car got to 2k the clutch was slipping, I tried a few bodges but nothing would work so I came home pissed off.
    Got a replacement clutch and have just fitted it, I have only got as far as bolting the gearbox on and have noticed that there I no slack in the clutch fork, this is making me think its the wrong clutch and its not releasing properly.
    I have an m52 2.8, when I gave them the vehicle reg it was for an m52 2.3 but I'm sure the clutch is the same on them. On the box it says its for m50/m51, am I right in saying the m50 has single mass fly wheel? Which would mean the clutch is not going to release fully with a dual mass flywheel?
    Or is it normal not to have any slack in the clutch fork (putting my fingers through the slave cylinder hole and trying to wiggle it) and am I just being paranoid?
    I really need to get this sorted soon as I have other work to do before the next day at Buxton and I don't really wanna build the rest of the car up to have to take it all apart again.

2. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

M50's have a dual mass, I think there was the odd few that had Solid flywheels.

323 and 328's have a different gearbox but as you've said I'm sure the clutch is similar.
    Almost sounds like the release bearing is too big?

You looked on realoem to cross check part numbers?

3. spaniel

The gearboxes being different worries me a bit, mine used to be a 323 but I blew it so I fitted the 2.8 with my original gearbox, it was fine the whole time I was using the worn clutch that came with the engine, I then killed that and fitted another 2.8 that was out of an auto so obviously had to swap the flywheel over, I thought maybe this is not located properly but cant see how as you have to get it so tight.
    I wonder if it is the gearbox thats causing the problem

4. spaniel

Just been on real oem and part numbers for 323 and 328 clutch kits are different, appears this could be the problem, the only thing I don't get is why it worked when I had a used clutch fitted.
    I think I'm gonna try a 2.8 clutch on that gearbox if that isn't right I will have to find a 2.8 box.

5. spaniel

Am I right that the fork should have a bit of play when the gearbox is bolted up tight?